Please critique my recording...

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

Hi y'all,

Spending my Christmas vacation becoming reacquainted with my multitrack software and DADGAD guitar backup.

I've posted an .MP3 of a short multitrack experiment from this morning, just looking for feedback...

The tune is one time through "Banish Misfortune" on Copeland high-D whistle, backup on a Martin guitar tuned in DADGAD, along with bodhran. I'm playing all the tracks.

Here's the file:

http://www.uptospeed.net/mp3/eskin/banishtest.mp3

Eventually, I'll get to releasing a CD of some kind if I can ever stop futzing with the equipment...

Thanks for any feedback! Any requests for tunes?

Cheers,

Michael
http://www.michaeleskin.com

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: eskin on 2002-12-27 13:35 ]</font>
raindog1970
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

Fantastic tune Michael!
I'm looking forward to the release of your CD.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Very enjoyable recording Michael,'Banish misfortune' is one of my favourite jigs.I must admit,when people mention multi-tracking,i'm always worried that the music will suffer at the expense of 'technical wizardry' I'm pleased to say that this isn't the case with your recording.I enjoy your playing that i've heard on your own site,and i would indeed like to hear more(your playing is the main reason that caused me to recently order a Copeland low D!).One tune that i am currently listening to a lot is another jig-'Na Ceannabhain bana',which appears on Sean og Potts'album,and also Gavin Whelan's album, i'd love to hear your rendition on any future c.d. Keep up the good work!
one-tin-soldier

Post by one-tin-soldier »

Fantastic Michael. I truly enjoyed your track and would love to know when your CD is ready! I do not know if it is just my computer or Windows media player but I had to put the volume way down and it still sounded a little fuzzy. I'm no expert but perhaps the recording levels are too high?

Looking forward to the CD!
As for requests - do you do Lord of the Dance?

Cheryl
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Sounds fantastic!

I can't tell this was multitracked by listening to it...very clean and doesn't sound "techno-mutilated" at all.

Lovely sparkling whistle playing too, by the way. :smile:

Best wishes,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Another question has come to mind Michael,-will you be playing any of your other instruments,such as the pipes or banjo on your c.d.?
JessieK

Post by JessieK »

Absolutely delightful track!

:smile:
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

I am not qualified to critique, but can enjoy wonderful playing!
ErikT

Post by ErikT »

Critique? - I don't think so. I'm wanting details, though! Mics, compressor(?).

Nice recording, Michael.

Erik
burnsbyrne

Post by burnsbyrne »

Michael,
I enjoyed the recording. I would like it more with the volume on the guitar increased and the drum volume decreased.
Mike
OutOfBreath

Post by OutOfBreath »

Nice work!

Out of curiousity, did you pan the guitar track back and forth from center to slightly right in time with the down beat or was that just my imagination? Sounded like you were panning and it gave a real nice "bouncy" dancing feel to the piece. A trick I'm going to have to remember!

John
eskin

Post by eskin »

Thanks for all the kind words...

One thing I found out the hard way was that if you have the Microsoft Media Player "SRS WOW" effects turned on for audio when you play back your carefully mixed recordings, they sound like junk, really overdrives the bass and messes up the imaging. I'd recommend turning it off unless you really like that kind of effect. :smile:

As far as effects, I've got a little chorus on the guitar to spread out the image, and a little reverb on both the bodhran and whistle. Final mix was run through some light compression to even out the levels a bit.

Cheers,

Michael
raindog1970
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by raindog1970 »

If I may make a software recommendation, the <A HREF="http://www.bbesound.com/products/maxim/ ... n.asp">BBE Sonic Maximizer</A> plugin does unbelievable wonders to recordings.
Regards,
Gary Humphrey

♪♣♫Humphrey Whistles♫♣♪

[Raindogs] The ones you see wanderin' around after a rain. Ones that can't find their way back home. See the rain washes off the scent off all the mail boxes and the lamposts, fire hydrants. – Tom Waits
one-tin-soldier

Post by one-tin-soldier »

You are absolutely right Michael! It was my Media player! I got into the EQ and made some adjustments and a GREAT tune sounds even better now!! Thanks!

Cheryl
eskin

Post by eskin »

Glad the Media Player tip worked for you! It was driving me crazy for a few hours, I'd do a mix down, sounded great in the multitrack software, but the resulting file played in Media Player didn't resemble what I had mixed... finally figured out what was going on...

Cheers,

Michael