Mike Rafferty tunes

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
matahari_1946
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Mike Rafferty tunes

Post by matahari_1946 »

I went to the Catskills Irish Week the past July and took a flute class from Mike Rafferty. Wow, what an experience! He taught us lots of great tunes, but he didn't know the names of quite a few of them. Below I've listed the tunes that I don't have names for. They're all sound clips, all played by Mike, recorded on my H2. Unfortunately we were stuck in the front parlor of a hotel and you can hear every vehicle go by outside. But you can still hear the tune clearly enough. If anyone knows the names of any of these tunes that would be very helpful. I like to know the names of the tunes I'm playing! :D

Thanks!

Dinny Delaney's (Hornpipe)

An Buachaill Dreoite (The One After Kilcooley Woods)
This is what Mike called it.

The Swallow's Nest (The Stolen Reel)
Again, this is what Mike called it. He said it has a different title but he stole this one from another musician, hence the name.

The Five Mile Chase

Bill McEvoy's No.1

Lilies in the Field

The Maids of Tulla

The Trip to the Cottage
I figured out what jig number 1 was.

The Maid on the Green

Anthony Frawley's

Dinny Delaney's (Reel)

Larkin's Beehives

*Edit:
I'll leave these tunes up for a little while longer for anyone who wants to listen but I'll eventually delete them from my box cause it's kind of full. If you'd like me to send you any of these files send me a PM and I'll be happy to do so.
Last edited by matahari_1946 on Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:33 am, edited 15 times in total.
~Tiff
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

unknown reel #1 = five mile chase
unknown reel #3 = lilies in the fields
William Bajzek
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

monkey587 wrote:unknown reel #1 = five mile chase
unknown reel #3 = lilies in the fields
Thanks William!
~Tiff
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

I recognize others from his CD but I don't have it handy and can't think of the names. at least one of the reels is on speed 78, I think.
William Bajzek
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Unknown Jig #2 = The Trip to the Cottage
Unkonwn Jig #3 = The Maid on the Green
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

MTGuru wrote:Unknown Jig #2 = The Trip to the Cottage
Unkonwn Jig #3 = The Maid on the Green
Thanks MT!
~Tiff
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

Wow - how cool you got to take a class from Mike. I'm a fan of his. Love your avatar by the way... When I look at it I hear Carol's infectious laugh again.

Deisman
I'm on it...
akfluter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by akfluter »

Hi Tiff,

I sat in on his afternoon class the last couple of days - if you were in that one, I remember you. :)

I think Unknown Jig 4 is Anthoney Frawley's (I thought I heard him say "Anthony's Frolics", but Catherine McEvoy plays it on her album with the other name).

Unknown tune is Delaney's Reel again (that's what I heard him call it). Some interesting rhythm in there, I remember feeling as lost as everyone else seemed to be as he taught the pieces of it.

Ben
David Levine

Post by David Levine »

The One After Kilcooley Woods is An Buachaill Dreoite. Mary MacNamara plays it on Ceol Na mBan: Clare Women Of Music & Song. She plays a dramatic Fn at the end of the second bar, as does Joe Ryan and Mick O'Brien.

The Stolen Reel is the name Mike gave to The Swallow’s Nest, a Paddy O’Brien tune.
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.
joshD

Post by joshD »

Ahh,

Dinny Delaney's is one of my all time favorites. I had posted a you tube clip of that tune from work and was happy with the way I had played it. Its funny because I learned that tune from Mike but I still like his phrasing better than mine. Of course, He is Mike Rafferty and Im not. :lol:

I wonder if that has anything to do with it! :D
joshD

Post by joshD »

If you have never met Mike before put it on your to do list. He is a wealth of knowledge and is a great person. I have learned o much from him.
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

akfluter wrote:Hi Tiff,

I sat in on his afternoon class the last couple of days - if you were in that one, I remember you. :)

I think Unknown Jig 4 is Anthoney Frawley's (I thought I heard him say "Anthony's Frolics", but Catherine McEvoy plays it on her album with the other name).

Unknown tune is Delaney's Reel again (that's what I heard him call it). Some interesting rhythm in there, I remember feeling as lost as everyone else seemed to be as he taught the pieces of it.

Ben
Hi Ben. Nice to hear from you! Yep, I was in that afternoon class and I remember you! Too bad you didn't play along with us in class but it was a nice little session outside afterward. :D

Thanks for the names of the tunes. That hornpipish-version of Delaney's was a bit confusing at the time but listening to it after that day it made more sense. We all struggled with that one, didn't we! Oh, welcome to the board!
David Levine wrote:The One After Kilcooley Woods is An Buachaill Dreoite. Mary MacNamara plays it on Ceol Na mBan: Clare Women Of Music & Song. She plays a dramatic Fn at the end of the second bar, as does Joe Ryan and Mick O'Brien.

The Stolen Reel is the name Mike gave to The Swallow’s Nest, a Paddy O’Brien tune.
Thanks David! I remember that Mike mentioned The Stolen Reel was a Paddy O'Brien tune but he couldn't remember the name.
deisman wrote:Wow - how cool you got to take a class from Mike. I'm a fan of his. Love your avatar by the way... When I look at it I hear Carol's infectious laugh again.
Yeah, that is my absolute favorite TV show! :lol:
joshD wrote:Dinny Delaney's is one of my all time favorites. I had posted a you tube clip of that tune from work and was happy with the way I had played it. Its funny because I learned that tune from Mike but I still like his phrasing better than mine. Of course, He is Mike Rafferty and Im not.
It's a great tune. I watched your youtube video, Josh, and your phrasing is quite different from Mike's. More flowing or something. But I like them both. And no one is Mike Rafferty except Mike Rafferty! ;)
~Tiff
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

the last tune sounds like a paddy o'brien composition (as is the 'swallow's nest') i'll look it up when i get i chance, the name escapes me right now
David Levine

Post by David Levine »

I think RLDD has it.

The tune is Larkin's Beehives with a Rafferty twist.

What do you think?
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.
joshD

Post by joshD »

I think you are right about it being the beehive