Striving for a dark, reedy tone

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

deisman wrote:It'd be helpful to a beginner like me if anyone has more video's they could post as good examples of this sound.
There are heaps of excellent vids on youtube (check out the sticky thread), however the following have good enough audio quality and the reverb doesn't get in the way of the tone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Gjxxt4k ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Lv1y2l ... re=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu26Y0DX ... re=related

Jump to 6:45 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piqsTFRksfI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4q-OrNG3bQ
Rob Sharer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

deisman wrote:It'd be helpful to a beginner like me if anyone has more video's they could post as good examples of this sound.

Thanks,

Deisman
Well, if I may be so bold...

Here's a darkish sound coming from my Olwell Pratten:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76aKx23qd58

As I listen to it now, it sounds a bit more dark than what I usually strive for, maybe because it's just me on my lonesome. I usually try to start dark and sharpen up, rather than starting sharp and breathy and trying to darken down, if that makes any sense. Cheers,

Rob
deisman
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

Vaaary nice samples - thanks for taking time to share them - that helps a lot.

Best,

Deisman
I'm on it...
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

I have been told on several occasions that I have a good tone. What I don't know is whether or not I have a dark, reedy tone. Give a listen to the examples below and let me know. Thanks,
Arbo
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Rob Sharer wrote:
Well, if I may be so bold...

Here's a darkish sound coming from my Olwell Pratten:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76aKx23qd58

Rob
And, if you run the Autotuner on FFT while listening, you'll see Rob has crammed a lot of energy into those harmonics just above (to the right of) the fundamental (the left-most peak), similar to the red trace in the curve I published above.

I won't publish Rob's results as we can't be sure what the video's audio compression algorithm is doing to the spectrum. (It's certainly injecting in an annoying artifact up around the 9-10KHz region, fortunately well above our region of interest. Anyone old enough to remember AM radio will remember the interchannel whistle audible particulalrly on long distance stations.) But it illustrates that FFT could be a useful tool in educating your ear about tone, and your lips about getting it.

Terry
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

Post by deisman »

Hi Arbo,

Thanks for the links - I really enjoyed listening to them and you play wonderfully. IMO your tone is very reedy compared to what I have heard. You get a very aggressive (in a good way) bark out of your instrument on the low D. Is that the "honk" people talk about ? I assume so.

I'm curious to know what kind of flute you play and who the maker is? What do you guys think of Arbo's sound? I like it & hopefully someday I'll be able to sound like that too... thanks again for posting them.

Deisman
I'm on it...
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Deisman,

thanks for the feedback. I don't know if I have the 'honk' people refer to. I am playing an original Hudson Pratten, cocuswood. My ONE flute to rule them all.
Thanks again for listening!
Arbo
Rob Sharer
Location: Either NC, Co. Clare, or Freiburg i.B., depending...

Post by Rob Sharer »

Terry McGee wrote:And, if you run the Autotuner on FFT while listening, you'll see Rob has crammed a lot of energy into those harmonics just above (to the right of) the fundamental (the left-most peak), similar to the red trace in the curve I published above.

I won't publish Rob's results as we can't be sure what the video's audio compression algorithm is doing to the spectrum. (It's certainly injecting in an annoying artifact up around the 9-10KHz region, fortunately well above our region of interest. Anyone old enough to remember AM radio will remember the interchannel whistle audible particulalrly on long distance stations.) But it illustrates that FFT could be a useful tool in educating your ear about tone, and your lips about getting it.

Terry

Agreed on the audio artifacts - sounds like robo-flute to me. Good call on not publishing that one. If I ever get a good solo flute recording, you can run it thru yer aul' yoke and display the result for all and sundry. Cheers,

Rob
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Hey Terry,
Would it be possible to do the same kind of analysis on my sound files?
Thanks, Arbo.
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Hi Arbo

Had a quick look at the Geezer Reel and sure enough, the same general pattern emerges - the first few harmonics above the fundamental have as much energy as the fundamental. And it's certainly consistent with the "tearing roofing iron" sound you are getting.

This is a long way from the sterotypical view of the flute as being a "pure" (ie sinusoidal) note instrument, which would have all the energy in the fundamental. You wonder where some of these allegedly scientific writers go to hear their flutes!

I can post an image if you like, although we can't be sure how accurate it really is - I'm just snitching notes on the run, rather than presenting the analyzer with just that note.

This is something you can do at home using Tatsuaki's free Autotuner - all you need is a microphone - I'm happy to issue some blow-by-blow instructions if anyone wants to try it, and then attempt to interpret the results if posted.

Hmmm, "blow-by-blow". Sounds like something from a "Martial Arts for Fluteplayers" training course.

Terry
Terry McGee

Post by Terry McGee »

Whoops, double post, sorry
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Thanks Terry.
I'm not sure if what you are saying is a good thing or not. If you can provide some instruction, I will give it a try.

I do appreciate you taking the time to listen and evaluate!

Arbo
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

Terry McGee wrote:This is a long way from the sterotypical view of the flute as being a "pure" (ie sinusoidal) note instrument, which would have all the energy in the fundamental. You wonder where some of these allegedly scientific writers go to hear their flutes!
Agreed... I have never heard a flute, classical or otherwise, that truly sounded like it was producing sine waves. Those are people the same people who say that the natural minor scale and, heaven forbid, dorian mode are rarely used.

Edit: Further question for Terry. What do you find if you run a recording of Paddy Carty through your analyzer? What about Fintan Vallely?
William Bajzek
monkey587

Post by monkey587 »

http://william.bajzek.com/whelans1.mp3
http://william.bajzek.com/whelans2.mp3

How does the tone of these two compare by your analysis?
William Bajzek
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Terry McGee wrote:...the first few harmonics above the fundamental have as much energy as the fundamental. And it's certainly consistent with the "tearing roofing iron" sound you are getting...
I agree with this characterization but also suggest that the method of recording, particularly the distance of the mic from the flute, the quality of the mic, and any automatic gain control will influence the ratio of the first harmonic to the fundamental. At least that's been my limited experience with recording the flute.