3rd octave whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
WARD1066

3rd octave whistles

Post by WARD1066 »

Does anyone know if there is a brand of whistle which can consistently play well into the 3rd octave?

My whistles all seem to get to a max of "top four holes covered" but I cannot get one to sound properly with three or less holes covered in the 3rd octave.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LBfRjZcmjo

I would like to learn this tune by Mike McGoldrick and I like the way around 1:25 he seems to o well into the 3rd octave. Looks like he is using a chieftan or overton or something? (Did he get lucky with the whistle or do they all do that?)
Last edited by WARD1066 on Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

If you're trying to play in the 3rd octave by just repeating the 1st and 2nd octave fingering patterns ... that won't really work. You need to use cross fingerings, which can get you up to G on most whistles if you're lucky. There are fingering charts around, but IMO the best approach is discover the fingerings on your whistle by experimentation, since every whistle may behave differently up there. And earplugs recommended (seriously).

There was a thread about 3rd register fingerings between jemtheflute and me a while back. I'll see if I can dig it up.
WARD1066 wrote:I would like to learn this tune by Mike McGoldrick
What tune might that be?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

MTGuru wrote:If you're trying to play in the 3rd octave by just repeating the 1st and 2nd octave fingering patterns ... that won't really work. You need to use cross fingerings, which can get you up to G on most whistles if you're lucky. There are fingering charts around, but IMO the best approach is discover the fingerings on your whistle by experimentation, since every whistle may behave differently up there. And earplugs recommended (seriously).

There was a thread about 3rd register fingerings between jemtheflute and me a while back. I'll see if I can dig it up.
What tune might that be?
Most whistles will go up to A in the 3rd 8ve if you know/find the right cross fingerings. How in tune those notes are and how responsive/what kind of timbre they have rather depends (like everything else!) on the mouthpice configuration and the bore proportions. Some will sound quite sweet (if piercing) up there, others have to be harshly forced or just won't go: some will give virtually a complete chromatic scale, others only a selection of notes, etc. The fingerings are vented harmonics of lower notes and if you want to get scientific about it you can work out what should work, but really that's reinventing the wheel: that old thread MTGuru mentioned should give you enough. Check out fingering charts for baroque flutes too as they will be pretty similar.
Have fun and pass the ear plugs!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
WARD1066

Post by WARD1066 »

MTGuru wrote:
What tune might that be?
I forgot to post the link originally - the tune is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LBfRjZcmjo
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Aha, got it. :-)

The tune is McGoldrick's own The Trip to Herve's on a low F whistle. When he plays the B part up an octave, it goes only as high as D in the 3rd octave, so not that far up at all. Any whistle should give a good high D. The usual basic cross-fingering is oxxooo, with some combination of other fingers down for good voicing and intonation, including possibly just overblowing vented oxxxxxx or unvented xxxxxx middle D. Depends on the whistle.

jim stone

Re: 3rd octave whistles

Post by jim stone »

WARD1066 wrote:Looks like he is using a chieftan or overton or something? (Did he get lucky with the whistle or do they all do that?)
It's a Chieftain F. yes, they all do that.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

My Burkes are the best for 3rd octave play, with the Hoovers being a close second.

There aren't many other whistles I'd care to take into the third octave.

Even with a Burke, wear hearing protection. :wink:

Here are some fingerings to try.

D -- oxx|ooo or xxx|xxx or oxx|xxx

E -- xxo|xxo or xxo|oxx

F# -- xox|xxx

G -- xox|ooo

G# -- oox|ooo

A -- oxx|xxo

These aren't often used, but there are tunes that require them. For instance, The Contradiction has high D's and E's.

Best of luck to you, your dogs, and your ears! :)

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
dlovrien

Post by dlovrien »

And if you want to get really good at 3rd octave stuff, learn to play the fife... the fingering is virtually identical to a whistle and most of their music is in the 2nd and 3rd octaves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GqMryyZN4kE
David Lovrien - 5 Second Rule & Trinity Hall Session Players - Dallas, TX
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

My question is why? Trying to go for that most annoying SOB award?? :boggle:
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Killaloe

Post by Killaloe »

Yeah what D said

Why :-?
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

Key_of_D wrote:My question is why? Trying to go for that most annoying SOB award?? :boggle:
Just as an aside here, going by your signiture line you were quite taken by the movie 'Shooter' as well. I know I liked it.

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

One not very good reason would be to be able to play John Corigliano's Pied Piper Fantasy ... the piece that prompted this question (in a different thread).

I can understand simply wanting the satisfaction of being able to play whatever the whistle is capable of, including up into the 3rd octave. Not every whistle is necessarily ear-splitting up there. Low whistles, for example; or in the context of a large space or a large group. Useful for non-ITM, and even for ITM when octave doubling or octave folding.

Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

Indeed, I tried those fingerings and they do work...and we solved the problem with vermins in our house :-)

I do believe it´s better to do 3rd octave with low whistles - they´re mostly capable of it allright, and it´s not nearly as earbreaking.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Pyroh wrote:I do believe it´s better to do 3rd octave with low whistles - they´re mostly capable of it allright, and it´s not nearly as earbreaking.
Call me crazy, but it just might have something to do with the fact that they're pitched one octave lower...

Cheers,
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

Key_of_D wrote:
Pyroh wrote:I do believe it´s better to do 3rd octave with low whistles - they´re mostly capable of it allright, and it´s not nearly as earbreaking.
Call me crazy, but it just might have something to do with the fact that they're pitched one octave lower...

Cheers,
Not saying it was not obvious :-) But for example, with low D Dixon, I found 3rd octave more easily reachable (in means of breath and fingering) than with any soprano I played.