What whistle do YOU love?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Ballyshannon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ballyshannon »

MusicalADD wrote:My Burke Composite high D.
It isn't quite as effortless to play as my Burke aluminum D, but the tone of the composite does it for me.
Is it the session or narrow bore?
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

It would have to be my Feadog D that I've played since around 1980. People I let try it are always amazed: "It plays itself!" and similar reactions. It's the sweetest-voiced whistle I've ever played, with the best 2nd octave. No other Feadog I've ever tried played anything close to as well.

Close on its heels is the Generation C I've played since the late 1970's. It's perfect: wonderful full, round low notes and amazingly sweet high notes. It has more character than the Feadog D but the Feadog has to rate higher in that it's more irreplaceable. The possibility exists that I might find another Generation similar to mine, while I don't think I could ever find another Feadog like mine.

Now, the whistle that I just can't put down is my Burke Pro Viper.
It's my go-to whistle, the thing I play at sessions. I enjoy playing it more than any other whistle I have or have ever had. But it is the most replaceable of whistles as Michael still makes them and his work is extremely consistent. So while I love to play it, I don't love IT as an individual whistle. The serendipity of finding a really sublime Generation or other cheapie gives them a special value. (Strange I know, that poor quality control should make the good ones all the more precious.)
bsalmond

Post by bsalmond »

For me it's this pvc whistle I bought from ebay a few months ago. It's hard to describe but when I play it some songs just click. I'm sorry but I can't remember the name of the maker, it's pretty neat though it breaks apart in three pieces so I can carry it in my pocket.
Impempe

Post by Impempe »

Clark original - natural tin - no paint. Do they still sell them? Bought one with the gold diamonds that was close, but no cigar!
It was my second whistle and the one I am most comfortable with as it has been in my hands the most I guess.
Democracy without morality is impossible. Jack Kemp
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Impempe wrote:Clark original - natural tin - no paint. Do they still sell them? Bought one with the gold diamonds that was close, but no cigar!
It was my second whistle and the one I am most comfortable with as it has been in my hands the most I guess.
http://www.whistleanddrum.com/the-origi ... pr-26.html

:)
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Tres

Re: What whistle do YOU love?

Post by Tres »

Wilsing wrote:What whistle....that you own....do you LOVE....? I mean....THAT one whistle.... the one you would NEVER part with....The whistle that brings YOU the most joy and pleasure in your life? THAT whistle.... that at the end of the day, brings peace and serenity to your soul when you play it? THAT whistle.... that one whistle.... that understands YOU and your moods? Which whistle....do you pick up.... and play.... from your heart?

James

A Stor Mo Chroi.............
My "Oakenstein" (Oak D head with beat up Generation brass body). And my Burke Narrow Bore Brass D. Neither can do any wrong.

Tres
oregonden

Post by oregonden »

I have five high D whistles that I practice and play on regularly. The variety of sound, materials, feel and finger placement is fun. I am a beginner who's just starting to incorporate ornamentations into tunes. The ONE whistle I play and enjoy the most is the Humphrey brass Session D. :D

Dennis
Make It Fun!
Dunphys Hornpipe
pboiney

Post by pboiney »

My Laughing D. So sweet.
whistlegal

Post by whistlegal »

Awww!!! Do I really have to pick just one? OK - "my true love" whistle is my Copeland low D.
ahogrelius
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Post by ahogrelius »

Hands down, my Overton low D...

You would have to kill me and pry it from my hands if you are to make me part with it... :D :D :D

Cheers,
Anders
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Hmm. My flute? :lol:

Seriously, I doubt that I'll ever part with my old Feadog. That's the whistle that started all this madness off.
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

Gen Bb tweaked by emtor. Twice lost and twice found.
MusicalADD

Post by MusicalADD »

Ballyshannon wrote:
MusicalADD wrote:My Burke Composite high D.
It isn't quite as effortless to play as my Burke aluminum D, but the tone of the composite does it for me.
Is it the session or narrow bore?
Both of my Burke high Ds are narrow bore. But now you have me wondering if I should have gotten a composite session bore.
gsnelson

What whistle do YOU love?

Post by gsnelson »

The one that most clearly suggests that this beginner may yet some day be a whistler is the Humphrey D. The one hardest to part with would be the Fred Rose blackwood D.
Factotum
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

My acorn D. It went 1500 miles on the Pacific Crest Trail with me. It kept me company when I was all alone with nobody to talk to. It kept me busy one day while hitchhiking and not getting a ride for two hours. It helped remove earworms from my head so I wouldn't go crazy. It's got a nice patina and the label is all scratched up. I'll never part with it.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird