best classical musician

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Jack
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

best classical musician

Post by Jack »

In another thread, the subtopic of "Who is the best classical musician" was brought up...I rarely if ever listen to any classical music, and if I do it's usually Opera, so I was wondering who you all would say is the best classical musician, and why?
Joseph E. Smith
antispam: No

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Musician or composer? Living or dead?

I'm rather fond of cellist Yo Yo Ma. Vladimir Horowitz (sp?) had a way with Beethoven piano sonatas that I have yet to hear rivalled. Isaac Stern was an early idol of mine.

edited to correct Mr. Stern's first name.
Last edited by Joseph E. Smith on Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jack

Post by Jack »

Either I guess...
Joseph E. Smith

Jack wrote:Either I guess...
There are so many great ones to chose from, almost too many to list... hey, Franz Liszt comes to mind... :D
Cork

Post by Cork »

The "Classical" era, as between the eras of late Baroque and Romance, is at least two centuries gone, as could be the original performers.

So, perhaps it simply could be impossible to fully answer your question.

True, there are today's greats, but what of the originals?

:-)
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

My answer would be Jean-Pierre Rampal.

He was a force to be reckoned with; he is largely responsible for the flute's return to its stature as a solo instrument in classical music, and he was one of the major moving forces in the Baroque revival.

He was not a "dots on the page" classical musician, by any means: he was an expert in period performance techniques and adapted those techniques for use on the Boehm-system flute. He played with authenticity and with great authority, but also always with a deep appreciation of and humility towards the music he was playing.

His was a rare talent, and it was a great loss when he passed away.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
SteveShaw
Location: Beautiful, beautiful north Cornwall. The Doom Bar is on me.

Post by SteveShaw »

Rampal is indeed a great master of the flute and his nuanced playing is never better displayed than in French music, or in Mozart's delicious Flute and Harp Concerto. But what a question this is. Impossible to answer, I would say, because there is no answer. Choose your favourite and there will have been a time when he or she was off form. Even Matt Molloy has fluffed the odd roll here and there. Yet you'll hear amateur, scarcely-tutored musicians playing so sublimely as to bring a tear to the eye. With a real, naive, beautiful innocence. It's dangerous and pointless to try to cast these things in stone by putting musicians on pedestals. It's about the music, and musicians are a necessary impediment to its appreciation. The less they get in the way the better.
"Last night, among his fellow roughs,
He jested, quaff'd and swore."

They cut me down and I leapt up high
I am the life that'll never, never die.
I'll live in you if you'll live in me -
I am the lord of the dance, said he!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:Musician or composer? Living or dead?

I'm rather fond of cellist Yo Yo Ma. Vladimir Horowitz (sp?) had a way with Beethoven piano sonatas that I have yet to hear rivalled. Isaac Stern was an early idol of mine.

Joseph-- you would have fainted at a gathering I attended a number of years ago.

Dorian records used to record in the Troy Savings Bank Music hall because of it's amazing acoustics. At one time, Yo Yo Ma, Isaac Stern, Jaime Laredo and Emmanuel Ax were there recording Faure piano quartets (look for that CD). I was on the board of directors at that time and was friendly with our managing director.. The recording took place during Chanukkah and I noticed that 3 out of the 4 musicians were Jewish so my ex wife and I made a little Chanukkah party for them post-recording. They informed me that Yo Yo is an honorary Jew anyway :P

They were all really friendly, wonderful people and this remains a treasured memory.

Anyway, the term "best" classical musician is really meaningless-- "favorite" is one thing, but best is totally subjective.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Joseph E. Smith

brewerpaul wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:Musician or composer? Living or dead?

Joseph-- you would have fainted at a gathering I attended a number of years ago.

Dorian records used to record in the Troy Savings Bank Music hall because of it's amazing acoustics. At one time, Yo Yo Ma, Isaac Stern, Jaime Laredo and Emmanuel Ax were there recording Faure piano quartets (look for that CD). I was on the board of directors at that time and was friendly with our managing director.. The recording took place during Chanukkah and I noticed that 3 out of the 4 musicians were Jewish so my ex wife and I made a little Chanukkah party for them post-recording. They informed me that Yo Yo is an honorary Jew anyway :P

They were all really friendly, wonderful people and this remains a treasured memory.

Anyway, the term "best" classical musician is really meaningless-- "favorite" is one thing, but best is totally subjective.
I would've considered myself a very happy camper had I been there. I am glad you had that wonderful opportunity and experience. :)
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Wanna know how great these guys were?
The Music Hall has had a series of free lunch hour concerts ffor many years now. Usually, this consists of local amateur and pro musicians. While this quartet was in town, they offered their services for FREE. Four world class artists simply donating their talents to the public.
Word got out and the concert, which usually attracts a hundred or so people was filled to capacity,leaving people outside on line in the December cold. At the end, Isaac Stern came onstage and said something to the effect of "We appreciate your applause, but we must ask you to leave promptly so we can play for the people waiting outside". And with that, they repeated the entire performance. Real class act. I sat through both performances :D
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Joseph E. Smith

brewerpaul wrote:Wanna know how great these guys were?
The Music Hall has had a series of free lunch hour concerts ffor many years now. Usually, this consists of local amateur and pro musicians. While this quartet was in town, they offered their services for FREE. Four world class artists simply donating their talents to the public.
Word got out and the concert, which usually attracts a hundred or so people was filled to capacity,leaving people outside on line in the December cold. At the end, Isaac Stern came onstage and said something to the effect of "We appreciate your applause, but we must ask you to leave promptly so we can play for the people waiting outside". And with that, they repeated the entire performance. Real class act. I sat through both performances :D
Outstanding! A great insight into the true nature of these great people!