What Does "Factory-B" Mean?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
KCJiang
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

What Does "Factory-B" Mean?

Post by KCJiang »

I saw an music equipment I would like to buy. The ad says the equipment is a "Factory-B" equipment. The standard one cost $50.00 more than the "factory-B" one. I don't know what does the "Factory-B" mean? Is this unit a factor re-fuburish" unit?

Anyone can help me on this.

Thanks
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

On first guess I would say that you've assessed it correctly, in general. Could be a refurbish, or - I think more likely - a slightly substandard end-product. Could be merely a cosmetic thing, such as the finish is marred, or the like.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
chrisoff
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by chrisoff »

Yeah usually stuff that's termed like that is not quite up to the same quality as usual so they knock a chunk off the price. Most of the time it'll just be cosmetic problems though, the item itself should be completely functional.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

The inspector at the factory grades the production, apparently in A, B, C, etc. grades. Factory grade-B obviously has some defect, and it would be nice for the seller to mention what the defect was. It may be only a minor blemish in the surface, but it could be something more substantial. I would like to know prior to buying the item.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

from an on-line musical instrument retailer's web site wrote:What are Factory B-Stocks?

Factory B-Stock products may have scratches, dents, signs of use or other forms of cosmetic damage that do not affect playability or performance. They may also have worn or non-original packaging.

Factory B-Stocks may have been returned to the factory by customers or retailers, or they may have failed to pass quality standards during the manufacturing process. In either case, they are repaired and packaged at the factory for resale at a reduced price. Standards of quality vary from one manufacturer to the next.

Factory B-Stock Guarantees

Factory B-Stocks are guaranteed by the manufacturer to function or play perfectly and are covered by the manufacturer's warranty, but in some cases Factory B-Stock warranties are shorter in duration than new products. Factory B-Stocks are eligible for extended warranty Gold Coverage and are also covered by Musician's Friend's 100% Satisfaction Guarantee. Order risk-free and take up to 45 days to check out the gear before deciding to keep it.
Google is your friend.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

Sure, we can always google something, but it is more fun to conjure up your own answer, as there is no reward for accuracy on this forum and in this pre-elction (USA) political season.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Yeah! Like some manufacturers have an A factory and a B factory. The B Factory thinks it's not so good, so it tries harder.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!