Moist Whistle Blues!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
The_Owlcat
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Moist Whistle Blues!

Post by The_Owlcat »

Hi everybody!
I'm a long time reader, first time poster with a question regarding that 'liquid' that is collected in some whistles!

I just received to wonderfully good Elfsong Jaspers in C and D and they play like a dream. Right until the sound suddenly goes all squeaky and squawky! When I do the whole blowing in the fipple stunt it works fine, but not great and I usually need to let it rest for awhile before using it again. Do any of you have a solution to this problem? Will that soap trick that Dale posted work?

Thanks for your help :D
David
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Welcome!

Another common trick is to rub a length of waxed dental floss (not the woven kind) through the airway. The wax helps prevent condensation.

Most whistles, once they warm up, shouldn't clog much, though.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Yes ... Dish-washing detergent, Jet-Dry, Duponol / Anticondens for recorders, dental floss ... All may help. To prevent wax build-up in the windway, I wouldn't use dental floss too often (on the whistle, that is!).

To clear a clog, carefully cover the windway with a finger, then both suck and blow. Works better than either alone. In the middle of a tune a quick suck between notes may do the trick. Also try shaking out / swabbing out the bore of the whistle. Condensation in the bore, as well as the windway, can sometimes affect the tone.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

MTGuru wrote:
To clear a clog, carefully cover the windway with a finger, then both suck and blow.
Do not suck! blow a few times hard... trust me :wink:

covering the vent and blowing hard a few times also warms up, so you can use this as a prevention before playing a tune.

Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Brigitte wrote:Do not suck!
Good advice, musically speaking. :lol: But seriously, why do you recommend that?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

MTGuru wrote:
Brigitte wrote:Do not suck!
Good advice, musically speaking. :lol: But seriously, why do you recommend that?
I have too often seen what can come out of a windway when whistles have been well used and also in surroundings when drink and food was involved. I find the thought already hairraising :o

Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
Dameon

Post by Dameon »

To clear a clog, carefully cover the windway with a finger, then both suck and blow.
Funny, I've had people say my instrument both sucks and blows a few times. Guess that's what they meant.
charlie_butterworth

Post by charlie_butterworth »

Dameon wrote: Funny, I've had people say my instrument both sucks and blows a few times. Guess that's what they meant.
Funny, I've had people say that I both suck and blow a few times!
Tia

Post by Tia »

:lol:

also holding tightly around the mouth peice and giving it a good shake helps sometimes, but i would not recomend this when others are arouond
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

Tia wrote::lol:

also holding tightly around the mouth peice and giving it a good shake helps sometimes, but i would not recomend this when others are around
Yeah, I bet my dog would have liked you to mention this a week ago. I just about brained the poor little bloke with the Overton Low D when I decided to "Flick the Spit".
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!