Location Location Location

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
rorybbellows
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Location Location Location

Post by rorybbellows »

If you were really comitted to furthering your piping career and you were free to move to anywhere you wanted, where would be the best place to be? I suppose the obvisous answer would be Dublin with all the resoures that are there.
Do you agree with Dublin or is there any other location that you think would be good to move too ?

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
stew
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I play Uilleann pipes, they have three regulators, three drones bass tenor and alto, also a chanter, bellows and bag.

Post by stew »

The obvious answer would be Dublin,"WHY" :-? I can think of a lot better places.
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

stew wrote:The obvious answer would be Dublin,"WHY" :-? I can think of a lot better places.
Well dont be shy ,tell us what location you think would be better and why.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
gregorygraham
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gregorygraham »

Having lived in Dublin and started piping there, I'd like to agree with Rorybellows, but there would certainly be contenders to the title of piping capitol. I'm thinking of Armagh, certain west coast counties (like Clare, Kerry, Limerick/Galway), London, certain cities in the U.S.
Gregory Graham
Toronto
djm

Post by djm »

I am surprised at the answers so far. Remember, this isn't a quiz about your favourite place to live, but rather, where would you live specifically to learn/improve your piping. I am not aware of any place that could come close to Dublin (though I've never been there) simply because of having NPU there and the top piping talent it attracts, as well as all the UP history and knowledge that dwells therein.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
mukade

Post by mukade »

Next door to Liam O'Flynn.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

djm wrote:I am surprised at the answers so far. Remember, this isn't a quiz about your favourite place to live, but rather, where would you live specifically to learn/improve your piping.
In fact, the question is where would you live to further your piping career. You could interpret this to mean a place where there aren't many pipers but where the people like piping. Nothing improves a career like a captive market - even a crap piper could thrive in such conditions. :P

Maybe this accounts for regional styles?
PJ
gregorygraham

Post by gregorygraham »

Just for the sake of stimulating a conversation, I was thinking of the calibre of pipers who come from non-Dublin organizations like the Armagh Pipers Club (C. Vallely, J. Henderson, T. O'Duinnchinn [spelling?]) and the London Pipers Club (Emmett Gill, Steafan Hannigan). Obviously though the sun revolves around Henrietta Street. :)
Gregory Graham
Toronto
djimbo

Post by djimbo »

Next door to Liam O'Flynn.
I'm with Mukade on this one.. Can I borrow a cup of sugar, and while I'm here can we go over a few triplets?
Nothing improves a career like a captive market - even a crap piper could thrive in such conditions
Hi PJ.. Being a lifelong crap piper in an area where there aren't a lot of pipers I can see the flaw in this one :wink:
The people who really like piping tend to gravitate to the places where there ARE good pipers.
Fools rush in and get all the best seats.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

The people who really like piping tend to gravitate to the places where there ARE good pipers
I feel better off having good musicians around rather than just pipers. A bit of a broader context is better for you.

I am where I want to be. Image
lundblad

Post by lundblad »

I'd say anywhere in Ireland (Cork area for me) just to sip the atmosphere, some good regular sessions and openminded musicians regardless of what instrument they're playing to take you under your wings. Add regular lessons from a good piper with good tutoring skills and you'll be flying in a year!!! (talking from experience.)
Rob
Uilleann Piper from beyond!!!
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

rorybellows, you're not thinking of moving, are you?
rorybbellows

Post by rorybbellows »

CHasR wrote:rorybellows, you're not thinking of moving, are you?
I would like to move actually,Dingle is 30 mile from me and I'd like to move there. I agree with the opinion about having good music and musicians around you and I really like the sessions you get in Dingle. There are some great fiddle players in some of the sessions there that I really enjoy.
Most of my local pubs play a mish mash of country and western and sub-standard ballad sessions. Irish country and western is the only music that I can honestly say I hate.As soon as I win the lottery I'm off to Dingle.

RORY
I'm Spartacus .
lundblad

Post by lundblad »

If you could get to know a few musicians that are more into playing tunes than ballads I'd say you should get together on your own.
Went back to Cobh this summer with my family, we stayed for 6 days and our friends got together for some extra sessions just for us??? flattered!!! 2 session nights out of 4 were brilliant, that will keep me going for the next Swedish winter months.
Rob
Uilleann Piper from beyond!!!
CHasR

Post by CHasR »

rorybbellows wrote: As soon as I win the lottery I'm off to Dingle.

RORY
havent been checking your email have you???

...MRS BRENDA X BILLSON is writing to inform you there is 10 MILLION POUNDS awaiting your signature for delivery in a PO box in LIBERIA.. in order to process the money we need YOUR BANK ACCOUNT # first....
rorybbellows wrote:
Irish country and western is the only music that I can honestly say I hate.
RORY
agreed 100%: but, oh,

there's much, much, MUCH more repulsive music than that out there... :boggle:

like REAL c/w for instance....