fried chicken--

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

fried chicken--

Post by WyoBadger »

--I mean, really fresh fried chicken, coated with whole wheat flour, salt, paprika, black pepper, and fried in olive oil--is a very, very good thing.

Lately I have not been liking our chickens much. Tonight all that changed.

fat and happy--
Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Fried chicken, done correctly, is indeed a wonderful thing!

You forgot the iron skillet, though. A well-seasoned iron skillet, the kind whose surface is so black and shiny that you can almost use it for a mirror, is an absolute necessity to create the finest fried chicken.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

And the gravy to go with it! :D
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

peeplj wrote: You forgot the iron skillet, though. A well-seasoned iron skillet, the kind whose surface is so black and shiny that you can almost use it for a mirror, is an absolute necessity to create the finest fried chicken.
This was what my mother always cooked in. When we moved overseas we realized we needed one, and we went to the store there in Mindanao. We were baffled that they didn't have any regular skillets. All they had were these funny round bottomed skillets, so we got one. It was a few years before we figured out it was a wok.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Finger lickin' good.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I have to admit that fried chicken does taste good. People love it because we all share a fried fat gene. However, in the current age, when we are not bordering on starvation most of the time, this fat-craving gene is not helping us that much. As it is, most of us are getting too much fat in our diets. I know that the fried chicken purists would not approve of this, but removing most of the skin and the fat layers under the skin prior to frying the chicken will make for a healthier meal. Better yet, drop the skinned bird in a crockpot and cook without oil or other liquid until the meat falls off the bone. Now that is what I call good-tasting and healthy chicken.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

As some comedian has observed, the whole POINT of fried chicken is the unhealthy fried chicken skin. He said he wished KFC would sell a bucket of fried chicken skin.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

When a recipe calls for skinless chicken, I remove the skin, lay it on a cookie sheet, season it, and bake it to a nice crispness. When this come out of the oven, the room is quickly divided into folks who know good eats and people who try to improve themselves too much.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
djm

Post by djm »

Dale wrote:As some comedian has observed
Sorry, I don't see anything comedic about it. The skin is my favourite part, though I much prefer it roasted to a crisp dark brown than fried. I don't care much for fired chicken, but crispy chicken (or turkey) skin, well, that's just good eatin'.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Check on the iron skillet, James. Why cook on anything else? (well, there is that whole dishwasher safe thing, I guess)

Doug, you're probably right, but crockpot chicken, great as it is, just isn't the same. I guess when you're as ripped as me and Fly, it really doesn't hurt anything.

We do skin our chickens (because, basically, we're too lazy to pluck them). I was suprised at how little the overall product suffered--still crisp and tender.

mmmmmmm. Only trouble is it's all gone now.

Here, chicky chicky chicky...

T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I live in a university neighborhood, and a group of five college boys recently moved into the rental property next to our house. In talking to the the landlord of the rental property, he described some of the boys as "nerds", in that at least one of them seemed so preoccupied with cleanlines and orderliness of the yard. I understand that two of them are pharmacy students.

A few days ago I watched from my kitchen window as one of them was cooking something on the grill (grilled chicken?). The young man would do something at the grill and then would return to the house. However, what I found odd was that he returned to the grill one minute later. He kept going into the house and returning to the grill like this until I started laughing and had to stop watching. You've heard it said that a "watched pot never boils". I was about ready to yell out the window my advice, which I'm sure would not have been appreciated. Well, I expect that the grilled meat was perfect, but I would have been too anxious to enjoy the meal after all of that. Better to call out for Chinese, pizza, or a bucket of KFC fried chicken.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I know that the fried chicken purists would not approve of this, but removing most of the skin and the fat layers under the skin prior to frying the chicken will make for a healthier meal.
Actually, my mom always removed the skin from chicken before frying, and to this day I prefer fried chicken to have been fried with the skin removed.

She learned this from her mom; her sisters cooked the same way.

If the skin is present on fried chicken, I'll eat the chicken, but not the skin, though I may pick some of the breading off of the skin.

They did this for a very practical reason: chickens have mites that live on their skin. They didn't wanted to eat fried mites.

--James

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
missy

Post by missy »

peeplj wrote: If the skin is present on fried chicken, I'll eat the chicken, but not the skin, though I may pick some of the breading off of the skin.
I, too, remove the skin and never eat it.

I also only like white meat (except wings, but those don't really count because there's so little meat on them).
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I'll eat both white and dark meat; what I absolutely will not ever eat (or even want to touch or look at) is chicken liver, fried or cooked any other way.

I don't eat organ meats; such entrails as liver, pancreas, brains, etc, are not things that I consider to be food.

--James

-------
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

...but crispy chicken (or turkey) skin, well, that's just good eatin'.

djm

Crispy turkey skin is the best flavor on the planet. More, even, than bacon. Yes, I said this.