Cliffs of moher and F natural

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
sbfluter

Cliffs of moher and F natural

Post by sbfluter »

When you play Cliffs of Moher is the F in the B part an F natural or F sharp? I'm talking about the F in the first 3 notes. Grey Larsen's book shows an F natural but other sources show an F sharp. It sounds right either way. When they play at our session I'm not sure which note it is. It's one of those notes that I have trouble hearing what note it is. I lack perfect pitch so I go on what seems right but both seem right.

When I play an F natural I half-hole it. Is that the right way to make an F natural? Or is there a cross-fingered solution?
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

I can't answer the first part. But yes, I think half-holing is about the only way to get an F natural. I've been playing 'Carolan's Dream', which has a prominent F natural in both the A and B parts. Ya gotta finesse that one a bit.
ImNotIrish

Post by ImNotIrish »

Diane,

F# or F nat, it doesn't really matter so long as everyone is playing the same thing. Makes for a nice variation using both. I have had to stop playing the Chicago Reel for the exact same reason. Some folks learned the tune with an F nat in the B part, and some with an F#. If I do dare to play the Chicago, I have to say that I am playing it with an F#, and with an F nat the second time through, etc. Otherwise, it always derails.
Arbo
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

When I actually play that note instead of some other figure (rolling the E, triplet to the G, etc.), I tend to play an F-supernatural, somewhere between F and F#. Just roll off to slide up to the note and back to E, no careful half-hole necessary. Maybe that's cheating. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Cork

Post by Cork »

In general, half holing is pretty much at the bottom of the list of things I can do, and that's not to say I've ever had any particular success at it.

Inconsistent and murky, at best, could be a fair description of my half holing abilities.

Maybe one of these days, years, or decades I'll work it out.

Meanwhile, I'm in the camp which knows why keys were invented.

:-)
David Levine
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by David Levine »

Ignoring Cork's comments ( I don't think Cork goes to sessions. I often play a key-less flute in sessions and I half-hole with no obvious problem - solo is another story), you can play the tune either way or both ways. It's good to be flexible and to be able to go from Fn to F# when you want to. I often use the Eb and G# keys to see how the tune would sound. Depends on the session- loud and boisterous or retrained and serious - and the other musicians.

Why would you want to stop playing a tune because you're not sure where one note fits in? I play Chicago with an F# but I were playing with somebody who used an Fn I would do it that way. Or expect them to accommodate me. It gets interesting when two people want to play to the other's setting and so they each play a different note every time through. Best not to take it too seriously.
Time will tell who has fell and who's been left behind,
Most likely you'll go your way, I'll go mine.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Does anybody else find that there are a few tunes where there are notes like this that you can't tell which note it is? There are some tunes (which ones escape me now) where I'm not sure if it's a C or C# and either way it sounds right. I mean, I can't really tell even when hearing it. Sometimes I don't think it's either. Maybe I'm hearing the "supernatural", as you say.

As for the half-holing, F is easy enough and so is Bb. G# is not easy. For me anyway. At least that one I can cross finger with practice.
~ Diane
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

G sharp half holed comes with time, IMO.
Scales in the key of A and patience.
It does become routine.
rama
Tell us something.: flute itm flute, interested in the flute forum for discussions and the instrument exchange forum to buy and sell flutes

Post by rama »

as far as "the cliffs...",
i find any or no note will do at that point . it doesn't matter what it is. it won't affect the tune. actually, it's the note that precedes it that i think matters and so i try to accent that.
and this might explain why you may hear different things being played by different folks.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

What rama said.

Heck, do 'em all - for sure if you're playing solo, anyway. Variation is the spice of traditional music. You can skirt the F question altogether by rolling the E or cranning it or going into it with a long "nyah" slide from below; you can use Fnat, keyed if you have the choice or half-holed, depending on what you're after; a hop up to a cut G instead of Fnat (the ascending triplet sounds good, MTGuru; an obvious solution that I didn't even think of. Thanks!), and I just realised that a jump up to the high A or down to the low A could sound pretty nifty too. There have got to be more available to you, as well.

I'm not too inclined to use the F#, but who knows for the future.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

Thanks for those ideas! For me, variations don't come all that natural unless really simple, like maybe skip a note, take a breath, do a roll or a cut or something really simple like that. I never am sure what notes to substitute. Aside from a lack of musicality and creativity, I wouldn't want to be accused of playing jazz or something.
~ Diane
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

The ones I mentioned are pretty simple, too, really. Simple's what I do, myself. All you need to do is now and then when you're bored pick up your instrument and try stuff and see if it works, and if it does, put it into your bag-o-trix.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Flutered

Post by Flutered »

sbfluter wrote:Does anybody else find that there are a few tunes where there are notes like this that you can't tell which note it is? There are some tunes (which ones escape me now) where I'm not sure if it's a C or C# and either way it sounds right.
Have a good listen to lots of fiddle and pipe players - people like Paddy Canny. They are often playing a note a little bit flat or a bit sharp here or there, sliding into notes - it's not sloppy playing, it's deliberately done to enhance the character of the music. C is a very variable note in particular.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

sbfluter wrote:.......
For me, variations don't come all that natural unless
variations tend to come natural only after a very long time immersion and performance of the thing
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

I can't recall ever noticing anybody, live or recorded, playing an F nat anywhere in Cliffs of Moher - not saying it isn't/shouldn't be done, just that I haven't come across it, and it's a pretty bog-standard sesh tune!
FWIW, I tend to play a dotted crotchet E at the beginning of the B music, often gracing into it by hitting a very brief D first. I vary what I do on the various recurrences of the figure.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads