help on avatar

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tweety
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

help on avatar

Post by Tweety »

Hello all! I am having trouble getting a picture onto my avatar. When I try to upload the picture, it says that I have too many pixels. If someone would help me, it would really be appreciated. I have the perfect picture, I just can't get it to upload and I have no idea what to do... :-? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

~Tweety~
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

avatar instructions wrote:Displays a small graphic image below your details in posts. Only one image can be displayed at a time, its width can be no greater than 110 pixels, the height no greater than 110 pixels, and the file size no more than 31 KB.

What more do you need to know?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Innocent Bystander

If you are using the Windows operating system, you can edit the image using MSPaint. There is an option "attributes" on the "Image" menu which allows you to change the size, but be warned: this will simply crop your image.

The safest thing to do is first take a copy of your image, and save it somewhere, then make another image the size you want your avatar to be. Just create an image 100x100 pixels, flood fill it with red, (say), and save it as smallred.jpg.

Call up your actual image and paste your smallred on top of it, just to see how far you have to go. Then get rid of it. (the smallred paste-in.) Now select a mask on your whole image (control-a does this) and pull the sides and top in until it's the size you want. When you've done that, change the attributes to 100x100.

Job done!

Actually there are many image editors out there, but this is the one every windows user has.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

I use Microsoft Picture It!, which came on my computer. I get the picture the way I want it, save it, and then save another copy, specifying that it needs to be no more than 110 x 110 pixels.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Thank you so much for your reply. I am using a mac, so I don't have MSPaint. I will keep trying. Thank you for helping though, now I have an idea of what I need to do to the image...

~Tweety~
Innocent Bystander

I feared as much.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

do a search of "free avatars" there are quite a few to choose from. some of them will be too big too, you just have to check.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

mutepointe- you have just made me very happy. I went to a free avatar website (as you suggested) and there were hundreds of the kind I wanted. Thank you so much!
:D :D :D

~Tweety~
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Tweety wrote:mutepointe- you have just made me very happy. I went to a free avatar website (as you suggested) and there were hundreds of the kind I wanted. Thank you so much!
:D :D :D

~Tweety~
Yipes! Gorgeous! But... shouldn't you change your user name to something more along the lines of "Here, Tweety, tweety.." or "Tweety's bane", or sumsuch? :lol:
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Thanks for the advice anniemcu. Dad was the one who thought of the name. I like it, it's short and sweet. I really liked that picture when I found it and didn't really worry about how it would be with the name. I will admit, it is kind of ironic that I would choose that picture for Tweety...
:wink:

~Tweety~
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

You're most very welcome. For awhile there were quite a few white cat avatars on this site. Your cat has the best eyes. Now you need to come up with an equally cool signature line.
白飞梦
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

What do you think of this signature?

~Tweety~
You must be yourself; look after yourself and yours, in small things as well as great. If luck goes against you, at least there's the comfort that you lived according to the instructions.
-Henrik Ibsen
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Now you're just trying to make your Dad cry. Very nice.
白飞梦