Newbie intro.

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tweety
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Newbie intro.

Post by Tweety »

Hello all! My name is Sarah. Byll (on the board) is my dear old dad and we are very much alike. :wink: I am finally old enough to join this site, so I'm very excited. I got my start with whistles when I was 6 or 7, and have played sporadically every since. My first real whistle was a prototype whitecap from Mr. Hoover (which I still play today). It has an X on the mouthpiece instead of a serial number. After that, I acquired PVC versions of a Hoover D and C and an experimental thin-walled redwood D with a black mouthpiece. I am planning to start playing low whistles on a Hoover apple wood low G.

Over the years, I started cello, piano, and voice lessons. I also continued with my dancing, which I love. I inherited the musical gene from my father, and the dance gene from my mother, so everything music is a big part of my life. I am incredible busy, trying to juggle dancing, music, and school. It's hard, but life is good. Dad says that it keeps me off the streets. I am hoping that I can get good advice and ideas on this board, so I'm very excited to join it. I hope you will accept me as one of your own as time goes on. Thanks to everyone!

~Tweety~
Byll
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Wow. Welcome, my dear daughter. Old enough for the board ....Hmmm... In 3 years, you will be driving. Now, there is a scary thought.

There are lots of good people here... They will have much excellent whistle advice for you. Use it well.

Love,
Dad
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
emmline

Post by emmline »

Byll--if you want some practice teaching a kid to drive, so you'll be really good at it when the time comes...I've got a 16 year old boy (my youngest---whooo, I've done this 3 times, so far,) who has a learner's permit. You may practice on him.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

You are very lucky indeed. Will you be posting any clips?
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Thanks for the welcome. I have some trouble with coordination, so teaching me to drive is going to be an interesting experience.

It's funny you should mention posting clips... Dad owns a professional recording studio but has never recorded a solo of me. I'll have to propose that idea to him. Maybe in the future something will get posted. Thanks!

~Tweety~
Byll
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

Emm: I can joke about it, but the driving thing does scare me. I honor you that you have been through it three times... In my career as a high school teacher, I experienced a lot of tragedies, concerning automobiles.

Mutepointe: Sarah mentioned one thing in her answer to you, that is too true. I have just realized that in the studio, she has multi-tracked as many as three background voices, and three concurrent cello tracks on actual client projects... but... I truly have never recorded any solo material of her. And, nothing on whistle at all.

I will have to rectify that situation.

Thank you all for welcoming Sarah in your inimitable fashion. The best to you on a stormy (remnants of Hannah) Saturday afternoon.

Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979
devondancer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by devondancer »

A big welcome from Lesley and me.
Roland
Tweety

Post by Tweety »

Devondancer- thank you so much for welcoming me. Dad has kept me informed on your situation for the past couple of weeks and I hope that this all works out well. You are in my prayers.

~Tweety~
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

Multigenerational!!. Welcome :)
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Hi Tweety, welcome! Congrats on coming of age and joining the board. I salute your dad's involvement in your online (and offline!) life - I started on the internet as an unsupervised 11 year old and got into no end of trouble :D Most of it fairly minor, fortunately!

Enjoy the forum!
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Well, you've got a great dad, a great avatar, and a great name! :wink:
Welcome!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
jlunt

Post by jlunt »

Tweety, welcome. What a wonderful community of fellow musicians you've chosen to join. I'm sure you, like many of us, will find yourself spending countless hours engaging in lively conversation, or lurking, here when you really should be doing something else entirely (perhaps schoolwork?). :)

Enjoy!
Merry Blacksmith on a Feadog.
Absent-Minded Woman.
Yes... I am a beginner.
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

guten morgen! have a good time. learn jerry's beaver hat,
Cork

Post by Cork »

You've introduced yourself very nicely, Sarah, and welcome!

As fellow musicians, the members here tend to be honest with each other, sometimes brutally honest, but, ultimately, that's a good thing.

With that in mind, however, please consider whatever you might have to say, before you actually say it.

There's a C&F forum just for whistle players, which may be of some interest to you.

:-)
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

Abandon all hope ye who enter here.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm