OT: Need a Miracle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cees
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I became interested in the beauty and versatility of Irish whistles and music over 20 years ago when I first found the Chiff boards. Yes, I do have WHOA, and I love my whistles. :)

Post by Cees »

One thing you might do is get some oil, like baby oil or massage oil (but even olive oil would work fine) and rub it into your neck, massaging from your ear down to your throat. One thing that causes sore throats is swollen lymph glands. You ought to be able to feel swollen, painful areas and by massaging the lymph out and down, it should reduce the pain and swelling quite a bit.

I hope you get better very quickly :smile:
sturob

Post by sturob »

Oooh, I don't know about the antihistamines. Unless you use Claritin, the other over-the-counter ones will all DRY YOU OUT. Not good.

I think asking this question is sort of like asking, "How do I get rid of these hiccups?" You've gotten every response from moisten to dry out, hot to cold.

Ibuprofen might work if you had a few days, but even prescription doses are unlikely to be anti-inflammatory that quickly. If your throat hurts, then ibuprofen will help, but you can't get a nonsteroidal to be anti-inflammatory in a day.

Stuart
LeeMarsh

Post by LeeMarsh »

If, as you said, you have drainage, it sounds like you have a nasal/sinus problem. If so, the mucus produced is acidic and causes the burning in your throat. Your local drug store will have a mild saline nose spray. The purpose of the spray is to rinse away the mucus your sinuses are creating. It also tends to work as a mild decongestent. I used to get sinus colds/infections that would work their way down my throat and settle in my chest. I started using saline spray a couple of years ago, and haven't had a chest cold since.

Your milage may vary and I'm not a mechanic.

Hope this help you ...
Enjoy Your Music,
Lee Marsh
From Odenton, MD.
ScottStewart
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ScottStewart »

I had the same problem due to a sinus infection last week. My voice was almost gone and I had to sing Wednesday night. Throat Coat Tea did the trick for me. Call your local pharmacies and health food store to see if they have any. It's made for singers and speakers, and it restored my voice for the evening. Plus it tastes like licorice or anise. Great stuff.

Oh, and don't drink any milk or pop or most anything cold.

"My doctor said I was paranoid... well, he didn't actually say it, but I could tell he was thinking it."

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ScottStewart on 2002-12-24 12:21 ]</font>
aderyn_du

Post by aderyn_du »

Throat Coat is awesome!! But you do have to be a fan of black licorice... :grin:

Andrea ~*~
mvhplank
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by mvhplank »

On 2002-12-24 11:18, peeplj wrote:
All good advice--but I would be careful of the raw eggs. That can be dangerous.

Best,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
My new understanding is that the danger of raw egg is exaggerated--very small, but real enough to avoid if you're pregnant, elderly, or immune-impaired.

If someone otherwise healthy really wants to try it, don't use eggs with cracks already in the shell.

M
Marguerite
Gettysburg
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

my advice: Sofrasolone + Surbronc + Ibuprofène!
Aodhan

Post by Aodhan »

On 2002-12-24 10:23, sturob wrote:
Actually, Aodhan, saline gargles do the opposite . . . they draw fluid out of your tissues, and can kind of reduce the swelling that way. Your body is more or less "normal" saline (0.9%, which means 9mg NaCl for each ml of water). Salt gargles are usually saltier than that. Normal saline is about the same salinity as seawater, and tastes about as salty.

So do the saltwater gargle, but it's not keeping stuff more humidified.

Stuart
You can buy "kits" for this, that make it about .5% NaCl. You are right, I should have specified. (Bad medic, BAD!)

Aodhan
TonyHiggins

Post by TonyHiggins »

There's a lot of good advice in this thread. I would reiterate: steam vaporizer, drink lots of fluids, don't speak, or even whisper. Also, stay out of the cold air and control a cough if you have one. I'd avoid chemicals, but the herbal lozenges, etc sound fine. This is official. My day job is telephone advice nurse. (Do you need a note for work?) :smile:
Tony
Oh yeah, a miracle would be ideal.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: TonyHiggins on 2002-12-24 13:15 ]</font>
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

WOW FOLKS!

Thanks for all of your advice.
It is 2pm here about two more hours to final rehersal.

I wish I read this earlier for all the added advice. I went to the drug store and bought Ricola Natural Honey-Herb. It seems to help a bit.

This was not suggested, I did the vicks vapor rub steam.. It seemed to help.

I have been trying to rest my voice... argggg... I keep getting last minute phone calls. From hear on out, the answering machine will take it.

Feeling a bit fevorish, so I did take a couple of tylenole. Ibruprophin upsets my stomach, and I have got the gurgles...Hmmmm... could be stress!

Have not gargoyled...Yet. (I know, I purposely spelled it that way) Plan on doing that before I leave, and I also plan on taking a thermos of warm whiskey with me... (just kidding folks!) A thermos of warm honey tea.

Antihistamines... (spelling) make me dizzy and sleepy. Not good for doing 3 masses in an evening.

Do not wish for the old saying break a leg, However, I will accept good thoughts and prayers.

If I am not ready to crash after 1am, I will write an update.

Until then, thanks for all of your caring advice and Happy Holidays my whistling friends.

Laura
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

So how did it turn out, Laura?
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
hillfolk22

Post by hillfolk22 »

Well,

It went a lot better than I expected.

However there were a couple times that I did a slight yodel. :smile:

It broke the ice a bit, and gave all in the group a grin. They all knew I was a bit under the weather. I am thankful for the rest of the talented singers who covered me.

And I am so thankful for lower alto parts!

Thanks again to all who commented and sent healing thoughts my way. My main concern was to get me through the night and I did.

Still feeling ill, however now I can relax and recover.

Merry Christmas!!!!

Laura
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Glad it went well for you, Laura!
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Zubivka

Post by Zubivka »

Christmas coloratur yodler, bravo!

You're better than I was. I jus' did the gargle thing.Image
some in the audience could swear I did sing. They sure know better.
Now I could use the ibuprofen things Image

'xcuse me. I gotta check if my French hens left me a fresh drink...
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

On 2002-12-24 12:31, mvhplank wrote:
On 2002-12-24 11:18, peeplj wrote:
All good advice--but I would be careful of the raw eggs. That can be dangerous.

Best,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
My new understanding is that the danger of raw egg is exaggerated--very small, but real enough to avoid if you're pregnant, elderly, or immune-impaired.

If someone otherwise healthy really wants to try it, don't use eggs with cracks already in the shell.

M
Not exaggerated at all, I'm afraid...quite the contrary. Salmonella and Camphylobacter are rampant in modern egg factory "farms," and you can pretty much count on eggs being contaminated unless they've been thoroughly cooked, pasteurized or irradiated. How contaminated is the question (depends on a lot of factors, such as how long did the egg come in contact with feces in the battery, etc.), but eating raw egg is like playing Russian roulette. You're not likely to die from Salmonella or Camphylobacter poisoning unless you're very young, very old, or immune-compromised, but you can become very ill and, frankly, WISH you were dead! (having had Salmonella a couple of times, I can say that with some authority :smile: )

I've had to do quite a bit of research on food poisoning for a brochure series I write, and the facts are really quite scary. We don't use raw eggs at all anymore (even when we bake cookies, we use pasteurized egg products, such as "Egg Beaters"). BTW, avoiding cracked eggs isn't a great help...some bacteria penetrate the egg even before the shell is formed, while the hen is still carrying it, and others easily penetrate the rather porous shell from the constant rain of feces factory eggs are subjected to in the battery.

Redwolf