Lunasa

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

On 2002-12-02 07:14, Martin Milner wrote:
...I played this track to a foaf...
[/quote]

Okay, what's a "foaf?" Love the word.

Susan
energy

Post by energy »

I really dig track 6 on the first album as well, and also track 3. Outside of that, I don't listen to that album at all, really.
"I don't want to be interesting. I want to be good." - Ludwig Mies van der Rohe
"I'm the goodest sheep rider there is. Except Jesus." - Koby Blunt, multiple time rodeo champion, age 6
colomon
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

But track 1, and the last track (original version, the Kerfunten etc) -- how can you ignore those? Great stuff.

Still, Otherworld is my favorite. And it took me a long time to get into Merry Sisters, because it sounded sort of subdued compared to the lecture hall recorder tape we made of them playing most of the same sets six months before it came out. But I've finally gotten used to the album versions, and listen pretty frequently.
boyd
Tell us something.: Sets in D and B by Rogge and flute by Olwell, whistles by Burke and Goldie. I have been a member for a very long time here. Thanks for reading.

Post by boyd »

I think it's McSherry's piping which makes the biggest difference to the sound of the Live album....my favourite of the three...

Boyd

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: boyd on 2002-12-02 16:24 ]</font>
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

On 2002-12-02 15:41, susnfx wrote:
On 2002-12-02 07:14, Martin Milner wrote:
...I played this track to a foaf...
Okay, what's a "foaf?" Love the word.

Susan
[/quote]

Hi Susan,

Foaf = friend of a friend. I actually nicked it from the term foaflore, another term for urban myths. Foaflore is a the term for stories you can't really trace because they came via a foaf.

ImageMartin
It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that schwing
kevcraw

Post by kevcraw »

HI everyone,
Very interesting reading all that stuff about the albums.
For what its worth we have just finnished our fourth album "Redwood" we hope to have it on sale in the new year. We deliberatly set out to record a performance based album this time around and hopefully make an album that captured both sides of lunasa. We always liked the raw flavour from the 1st album but cringe from time to time at some of the production on it. At the end of the day though most of it was live and therefore we stand over it. On "Otherworld and "MSOF" we are very proud of these as this where lunasa developed its sound and identity in terms of arranging and maximising the instrumentation within the band etc. However we found it difficult to get the high energy factor into some of the tunes. We are not alone in this regard, quite a lot of irish bands have similar tales to tell.So fast forward to "Redwood" an album that was recorded in California mid way through a 6 week tour and we were very much at home with the tracks we were going to record having played them at gigs for a few months prior to going out to the U.S.
We were also able to sit around virtually in the one space and play and record like a band.On "Otherworld" and "MSOF" we ended up doing quite alot of tracking as we never had a large enough room for us to play together and not have a whole lot of spill etc, this can make mixing difficult and also gives you less options when it comes to adding or removing certain parts at a later date.At Prairie Sun studios in California we had no such restrictions.The end result is an album I feel will please all our fans (but you never can tell).
In relation to Lunasa getting "BORED" with the music, This is a bull----. The day that this happens is the day that we move on to something else.This is a long long way off. We are constantly inspired and excited by the music that surrounds us and believe we sill have a lot to offer.We would never take for granted the fact that we are very lucky to be doing something that we love and get ahuge kick out of having the opportunity to perform to great audiences around the world.However we are not robots or super humans and Yes we do have the odd off night( and I remember Amsterdam as definitly being one of those),but thankfully they don't happen too often.
Thanks again for your comments,its great to know that you really really really listen to our albums.It makes all the hard work and arguments worth while.
Have a great Christmas and look forward to seeing you in the New Year.
Kevin Crawford.
gogo

Post by gogo »

On 2002-12-23 18:37, kevcraw wrote:
...Have a great Christmas and look forward to seeing you in the New Year.
Kevin Crawford.
And we're looking forward to seeing you in the New Year as well! Happy Christmas to all the Lunasa-tics.
amar
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by amar »

Kevin, thanks for letting me (us) know about your new album, needless to say I can hardly wait to get my hand on it....
Merry Christmas, Luna(sa)tics.
Amar.
Brian Lee

Post by Brian Lee »

Wow!

What a cool thing to have Kev drop us a line? Great work on the albums and looking forward to the new sets too. Sorry the crowd in Ogden last September didn't find the groove as they should have - I do hope you'll manage to work Salt Lake City into a future tour someday.

Best of luck to all the guys - and when are John Mc. and/or Cillian gonna move out here so I can get some REAL tips on my piping? :smile:

All the best!

Brian~
ChrisLaughlin

Post by ChrisLaughlin »

Doh. Now I feel really dumb :???:

Well, Kevin, if it's any consolation to you, I've got nearly every tune on Merry Sisters memorized note for note and I'm that kid who comes up to the very front and stares relentlessly at your fingers and lips whenever I see you concert (lots of times)....

Really, I'm sorry if my comments were hurtful to you or any of the other guys in the band. You guys have been really inspirational to me and your albums are, without fail, the way I introduce my friends to Irish music. I just thought that something, perhaps it was the mixing, in Merry Sisters, was not quite right. I love to feel like I'm right there with the band, at a show or at a session, and Merry Sisters felt too "studio" for me. The playing, arrangements and tune selection, however, were mindblowing, to say the least.
Ya know, it's all pretty funny, saying - yeah, I liked Merry Sisters least of the three is like saying "I like chocolate ice cream the least out of strawberry, vanilla and chocolate"... it's still ice cream and it's still damn good, just not my favorite.
I can't wait to hear the new album.

It's really great to hear about the process of creating your albums... it helps me to better understand and appreciate what is going on with them, with the band, and with you. My mom has been working on recording a CD for the last several years, and I've played a couple tunes on it, and I've seen how difficult it is to capture in the studio the magic of a totally live, spontaneous performance. I also know what hard work it is, and I respect it tremendously.
As for you not being "bored". Thank you for setting me straight on that and doing it so clearly. The last thing I would want would be for you to be bored and I'm glad it's not so... I also understand and respect that there are great performances and then there are nights when things just don't quite click and I appreciate you telling me that the night in Amsterdam was one of those nights. I've had more of those nights than I have had good nights and if I could have even one night as good as your bad nights I would die happy. I just know that bands often grow through stages where they can become a little bored and eager to break out and cover new ground. I apologize for assuming that about Lunasa and I hope I didn't hurt any feelings.
Keep fluting and having fun.
Best,
Chris

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisLaughlin on 2002-12-23 23:48 ]</font>
BrassBlower

Post by BrassBlower »

Lunasa...Steeleye Span...Altan...Lunasa...Steeleye Span...Altan... :grin:
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

On 2002-12-23 23:46, BrassBlower wrote:
Lunasa...Steeleye Span...Altan...Lunasa...Steeleye Span...Altan... :grin:
....Dervish
msheldon

Post by msheldon »

Wow, Kevin Crawford answering the poor sorry lot on C&F :smile:

Kevin, all I can say is that I hope you and the boys never get bored. After the performance you put on in Phoenix, you can bet I'll be at every concert I can get to. And sure enough, my wife will be right there with me.
TomB

Post by TomB »

On 2002-12-23 18:37, kevcraw wrote:

Have a great Christmas and look forward to seeing you in the New Year.
Kevin Crawford.
Kevin: Thanks for the post. I, for one, am very much looking forward to the new recording. I have had the extreme pleasure of seeing Lunasa twice, once a few years ago at the "Barns of WolfTrap" in Northern Virginia, and the second time a few months ago, in Hartford, Ct. Both shows were fabulous. Your music and energy are wonderful.

Thanks for the music, and have a grea holiday.
"Consult the Book of Armaments"
Easily_Deluded_Fool

Post by Easily_Deluded_Fool »

kevcrawImagescribed
"Thanks again for your comments,its great to know that you really really really listen to our albums.It makes all the hard work and arguments worth while."

Knowing that makes the music even better!

Don't 'spose we could humbly beseech Kevin Image to publish/post the "January Snows" music score somewhere?

I think it is a version of "The Snow It Melts The Soonest", but slower tempo and lots of ornamentation, but it is a stunning piece of flute playing whatever it's origin.

Merry thingy everybody Image

ps
my sig's gone!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Easily_Deluded_Fool on 2002-12-24 12:12 ]</font>