The sanity of ice cream truck drivers

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

The sanity of ice cream truck drivers

Post by susnfx »

I'm worried about them. Every afternoon about this time, an ice cream truck drives through my neighborhood. The tune it plays is arguably the most annoying tune ever conceived by the mind of man or woman. It only plays about 45 seconds of this tune, each phrase ending with the bark of a dog, the quack of a duck, or another idiotic sound. At the end there's a pause of about five seconds, then a woman's voice says brightly, "Hello!" (which causes my dog to race around barking at the intruder) and we're off on another agonizing 45 seconds of tune.

How could a person keep their sanity listening to this hour after hour??? Does any one personally know an ice cream truck driver? Do they appear lucid? Is therapy part of their benefit plan?

It's my opinion that we need to worry more about ice cream truck drivers than postal workers--and if they're not going to shoot us, someone is surely going to shoot one of them!

Susan
rebl_rn
antispam: No

Post by rebl_rn »

I've wondered the same thing. The same ice cream truck that goes by you comes by me here in Wisconsin. The tune ours plays is "Turkey in the Straw". That is maddening enough, but that "HELLO!" is totally annoying.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
emmline

Post by emmline »

They are most likely not sane. But I've wondered the same thing about salepeople in certain mall stores--namely Hollister, Ruehl, Abercrombie--the sort of place where you trip over several clothing racks on your way in because the light is too dim to see them, to say nothing of the soundtrack, played at such driving decibels that anyone over the age of 25 who does not know to hang on is blown out of the store by the force of soundwaves.
What happens to people who work there?
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

And what a sick ice cream man he would be who makes that same song the ringtone on his cell phone.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Tyler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

oh dear lord, I know of the one you speak!!!!!!!!

it's enough to cause nightmares!
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

For reasons unknown and never understood, every ice cream truck in Dublin plays "Greensleeves".

Don't ask, I have no idea.

Funny enough, it was the first time I heard the tune...

Slan,
D. :-?
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
I.D.10-t

Post by I.D.10-t »

susnfx, can you find a youtube video of what you have seen/heard? Old... Turkey in the straw is all I have ever heard.
"Be not deceived by the sweet words of proverbial philosophy. Sugar of lead is a poison."
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

It's not a tune I recognize...just some dreadful electronic chime thingy with sound effects. I don't know that the tune itself makes any difference, although I think this one was specifically written to coerce children into buying ice cream from strangers in big white vans. An evil tune that stays in your head for hours and hours.... :o :o

Susan
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Every ice cream truck driver I knew back in the 60's was a stoner.
Denny

Post by Denny »

susnfx wrote:in your head for hours and hours....
hours?

still remember it?
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

That's not the one I hear playing in my head....
Tyler, you hear it! What's the tune?

Susan
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Someone once mentioned that they played on the whistle their local ice cream truck's song to trick the neighborhood kids.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

Since I run our county's immunization program, this is one of my favorites.

Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
susnfx

Post by susnfx »

It just came to me what the tune is and I've been laughing ever since I realized it: it's an LDS hymn "O, Refresh Us!" Took awhile to recognize it because of the jaunty way they're playing it, along with the animal sounds interspersed throughout. It's probably some tune known by others as something else, but that's what it is here.

(Love the cartoon, rn)

Susan