A Noobie's take on the Burke DBSBT

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Killaloe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A Noobie's take on the Burke DBSBT

Post by Killaloe »

Well the first sentence needs to be, WOW if looks alone could make a whistle play this baby would sing!! This whistle looks like a professional instrument. Like my saxophone it just feels nice, good heft feels solid in the hands.

The sound this whistle makes can only be describes as smooth and creamy. The upper octave is not piercing and the whistle is quite loud with low air requirements. The sound is pure and mellow and refined. To compare it to the Feadog, the Feadog sounds a bit rough and harsh. The upper octaves on the Feadog are loud and piercing. Speaking of the upper octaves, one of the issues I seem to have with the Feadog is hitting the upper octaves consistently with out squeaking. I squeak a lot even on low D on the Feadog.On the Burke this issue has all but been eliminated. I can move up and down the octaves with out hesitation and with no squeaks, that in it's self is quite amazing.

I wish I had had this whistle when I first started really playing the whistle. This is truly a professional whistle that beginners can play and should try and learn on. The only issue is the price of course, but the bang for your buck factor is off the charts.

I seem to be more confident on this whistle as well. I currenty own a Dixon Trad in Eb and the Feadod Pro D nickle. The Dixon Trad is a very nice whistle and I would now place this second to the Burke with the Feadog in a distant 3rd. It's not to say I won't ever play the Feadog again. I kind of like the way it sounds. But the difficultly in playing it has dropped it down on my list.

In closing this is one awesome whistle. I now know what its like to play a whistle designed by a master. The sound the ease of playing and the ability to take what you throw at it really makes this whistle stand out in my book. Its no wonder Joanie Madden uses this whistle. Its simply awesome!!
Last edited by Killaloe on Sat Aug 30, 2008 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Thanks for the report!
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

Had a feeling you'd like it.

Enjoy!
riverman

Post by riverman »

...and you put your finger on the points where Burkes really shine: good solid feel; lack of any touchiness in play; and their tendency to play easily for the beginner (and players in their third year like me).
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
CranberryDog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by CranberryDog »

I really like my DBSBT. In fact it's the only whistle I play. Cheers.
jen f

Post by jen f »

I love my Burkes. There are varying opinions on this, but I think it's a good idea for newbies to learn on a Burke or something similar. It eliminates most of the squawking that is so frustrating and allows you to actually get somewhere with your whistle playing. Then later, when you've learned better breath control, it's amazing how you can pick up those squeaky cheapies and make 'em sing!

Jennifer
violinmyster

Post by violinmyster »

I have a composite Burke narrow bore and have found it smooth also. Much easier to hit high notes with less breath than my other high end whistles. It definitely is a good whistle to learn on and the fingering also feels good. :)
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

more noob input on Burke

Post by deisman »

Hey Killaroe - do the sticky tac & airway tweeks to make your Feadog sing cleanly. I had the same issue w/mine - see this link: http://www.chiffandfipple.com/tweak.html ...Feadog is good now.

Ok - below text is from a pm I sent the other day 'cause I had promised to try & review the Burke low D viper while at the Dublin Fest - that did not work out so well, , but you'll see...

Well,,, once I got there I realized I was too much of a newbie to do much good as a reviewer, plus I smashed my R3 finger in the door of the car so I was packing a big gauze bandage which kind of slowed me down even more. Ended up losing the nail.

I can tell you I played a bunch of his whistles as best I could with the injury, and settled on the brass session high D for myself. Every whistle of his I played sounded great. I couldn't tell a difference between the composite and the aluminum, but I sure like how the brass looks & sounds. The narrow bore high D was a tad sweeter & I kind of liked it better, but I figured in time I would want the louder / faster session D so that's what I got. It's a lovely whistle and has a great reedy sound IMO. Kind of along the lines of a Feadog, but without all the harsh qualities. Much more air resistance / requirements, but pops cleanly into 2nd octave. Very easy to play and forgiving of the player IMO.

I did not play a brass low D sorry, but if his low whistles are like the rest, the aluminum will be faster & more responsive & probably a tad louder & the brass sweeter. I played the aluminum Viper & realized that my flute playing did not translate very well into low whistle playing... smile Plus, with my hurt finger I did not feel like making the big stretch r3 requires. Sorry I"m not much help to you. I noticed that he does have an ergonomic version of the low whistles too FWIW. Dunno if you're familiar with The Kells, but Brian McCoy play's all Burkes, all Aluminum, low D to high d. I took a workshop with him and he commented that the aluminum is faster for him. He's lightening quick as a player - The Kells play on Burkes website FYI. Frankly, I lean towards the brass, but IMO tone quality on both is very similar, a very pure whistle sound, not so much of a "haunting" kind of sound like some low D's can produce, but that's probably got a lot to do with the player.

Apparently he's changed his design of his whistles, and the experienced whistlers at my local session commented on how he was dong better work than ever and really liked my new one a lot. All the whistles I played, probably 20 or so were excellent - very consistent maker IMO.
I'm on it...
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

more noob input on Burke

Post by deisman »

Hey Killaroe - do the sticky tac & airway tweeks to make your Feadog sing cleanly. I had the same issue w/mine - see this link: http://www.chiffandfipple.com/tweak.html ...Feadog is good now.

Ok - below text is from a pm I sent the other day 'cause I had promised to try & review the Burke low D viper while at the Dublin Fest - that did not work out so well, , but you'll see...

Well,,, once I got there I realized I was too much of a newbie to do much good as a reviewer, plus I smashed my R3 finger in the door of the car so I was packing a big gauze bandage which kind of slowed me down even more. Ended up losing the nail.

I can tell you I played a bunch of his whistles as best I could with the injury, and settled on the brass session high D for myself. Every whistle of his I played sounded great. I couldn't tell a difference between the composite and the aluminum, but I sure like how the brass looks & sounds. The narrow bore high D was a tad sweeter & I kind of liked it better, but I figured in time I would want the louder / faster session D so that's what I got. It's a lovely whistle and has a great reedy sound IMO. Kind of along the lines of a Feadog, but without all the harsh qualities. Much more air resistance / requirements, but pops cleanly into 2nd octave. Very easy to play and forgiving of the player IMO.

I did not play a brass low D sorry, but if his low whistles are like the rest, the aluminum will be faster & more responsive & probably a tad louder & the brass sweeter. I played the aluminum Viper & realized that my flute playing did not translate very well into low whistle playing... smile Plus, with my hurt finger I did not feel like making the big stretch r3 requires. Sorry I"m not much help to you. I noticed that he does have an ergonomic version of the low whistles too FWIW. Dunno if you're familiar with The Kells, but Brian McCoy play's all Burkes, all Aluminum, low D to high d. I took a workshop with him and he commented that the aluminum is faster for him. He's lightening quick as a player - The Kells play on Burkes website FYI. Frankly, I lean towards the brass, but IMO tone quality on both is very similar, a very pure whistle sound, not so much of a "haunting" kind of sound like some low D's can produce, but that's probably got a lot to do with the player.

Apparently he's changed his design of his whistles, and the experienced whistlers at my local session commented on how he was dong better work than ever and really liked my new one a lot. All the whistles I played, probably 20 or so were excellent - very consistent maker IMO.
I'm on it...
MattSconce

Post by MattSconce »

I LOVED my Burke. It has such a pure tone! Because of that, I think the sound carries well outside, as long as there is not a strong wind. :)
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

deisman...
Do you know if Brian's aluminum session high D is the new design...the one he's using on the tune that loads when accessing the Burke site?
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

jen f wrote:I love my Burkes. There are varying opinions on this, but I think it's a good idea for newbies to learn on a Burke or something similar. It eliminates most of the squawking that is so frustrating and allows you to actually get somewhere with your whistle playing. Then later, when you've learned better breath control, it's amazing how you can pick up those squeaky cheapies and make 'em sing!

Jennifer
Well, you certainly sound good, no matter what whistle you're playing!

We missed you at session, but considering the weather, we were grateful you were home safe.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Ballyshannon wrote:Do you know if Brian's aluminum session high D is the new design...the one he's using on the tune that loads when accessing the Burke site?
Of course I could be wrong but I think that clip has been on the Burke site since well before the latest design became available.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.