Fine and Fancy Fluting

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Sillydill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Fine and Fancy Fluting

Post by Sillydill »

Here’s a link to the Congress Reel as played by Sylvain Laberge of Quebec with his group Bonhomme Setter from their CD Leap of Faith. Congress Reel

I received Sylvain’s permission to do this posting.

Unfortunately the group Bonhomme Setter has disbanded, but Sylvain still has a few copies of the CD available. If interested in acquiring a copy of the CD, please enquire to Sylvain at sylvain.l@sympatico.ca The Congress Reel is the most Fluty track on the CD, but all the tracks are quite good and all the band members are very talented!

Sylvain said he is currently working on recording some Celtic music, mostly Irish and music from Asturias, and will let me know when that project is finished.

I came across this CD quite by accident. Sylvain was selling a flute and offered to send a sound sample (which was the Congress Reel linked to above). Well I was so blown away by his playing that I agreed to purchase his flute on one condition... he had to add a copy of the CD! :D

The flute is a Pratten by Chris McNeilly. I had one of these before and thought it an excellent flute, but unfortunately sold it. Preferring to keep my Healy at the time (easier to play). Well my chops have continued to improve and I found the McNeilly easier to handle this time.

Here’s a picture of my old McNeilly Pratten:

There was confusion (at least on my part) over the basis of this McNeilly flute. Both of the previous owners of the McNeillys thought they were based upon Rudalls (likely due to the join between the hands). But the playability also raises questions. The McNeillys have the sweetest top-ends of any Prattens I’ve tried (not that many). I confirmed the basis of the design with Mr. McNeilly; he used Matt Malloy’s as his model!
Keep on Tootin!

Jordan
matahari_1946
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by matahari_1946 »

Hey Jordan, that's a nice-lookin' case. I sure am enjoying it. :D

I guess the flute looks nice, too. ;) Interesting rendition of Congress Reel by Bonhomme Setter. I like the second tune. Some fine fluting there. Do you know what the name of the tune is?
~Tiff
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

matahari_1946 wrote:I like the second tune. Some fine fluting there. Do you know what the name of the tune is?
Seems to be The Big Leap, aka Rattigan's / Redican's:

http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/1449
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

You might be interested to know the origin of the "Bonhomme Setter", a bogeyman that children in Quebec used to be threatened with when they misbehaved. It is usually spelled, pronounced and understood as "Bonhomme Sept Heures" but the expression is assumed by most people to be a corruption of the English "bone setter" - a visit from whom was evidently tantamount to torture.
LorenzoFlute

Post by LorenzoFlute »

The first thing i noticed is that he seems to be really heavily influenced by matt molloy's playing. :lol:
Of course he's not matt molloy, but he plays well :wink:
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

MTGuru wrote:
matahari_1946 wrote:I like the second tune. Some fine fluting there. Do you know what the name of the tune is?

Thanks, MTGuru!
~Tiff
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

That boy sure knows his way around a flute, doesn't he?!!! Real nice playing, and you're lucky to have a flute that can sound like that! Now I guess you just have to figure out how to get that out of it? Good luck with that one-I wish you well!

I emailed Sylvain to see how many CDs he has left, and the price, so I'll post a note here if I find out.

And Jordan, you must be busy, because that's the old McNeilly; where's the picture of the new baby?

Be well, Barry
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

MTGuru wrote:

Wow - I love this tune. I've set my mind on trying to learn it. I was wondering about the cut (or what-ever) you would put on the first G in the second bar:

How would you guys do that? Tap your first right finger (the f-hole) or?
ElaineT

Post by ElaineT »

In the recording, it's short rolled. Cut into the note with L2, then tap with R1 to separate the quarter note into 2 eighth-notes.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

ElaineT wrote:In the recording, it's short rolled. Cut into the note with L2, then tap with R1 to separate the quarter note into 2 eighth-notes.
I'll give that a try, thanks :)
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Sylvain just emailed me to say he has managed to gather up a total of 15 CDs from the band's last supply of them. They are $20 USD shipped to the USA and can be paid via PayPal at the email address Jordan listed in the first post, if anyone is interested.

Others across the pond will have to inquire individually, I would imagine.

Be well, Barry