Tropical Storms and Hurricanes

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:It was rough enough worrying about my wife and her family while living down there during hurricane season, now that I'm seperated from her (and them), living 1,500 miles away, I find the worry almost unbearable. :boggle:
Joseph, I've never had to live through the type of stress that you are experiencing right now. I would never attempt to marginalize the extent of what you're going through by saying I know how you feel.

Hopefully the power lines will be repaired and cell phone support reinstated
so you can be reassured as soon as possible that your wife and family are still safe and healthy.
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

Last edited by rh on Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
there is no end to the walking
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

hyldemoer wrote:
Joseph E. Smith wrote:It was rough enough worrying about my wife and her family while living down there during hurricane season, now that I'm seperated from her (and them), living 1,500 miles away, I find the worry almost unbearable. :boggle:
Joseph, I've never had to live through the type of stress that you are experiencing right now. I would never attempt to marginalize the extent of what you're going through by saying I know how you feel.

Hopefully the power lines will be repaired and cell phone support reinstated
so you can be reassured as soon as possible that your wife and family are still safe and healthy.
Thank you so very much!

I will be on the road gigging for the next month, keeping tabs on the storms and my former family/in laws is going to be pretty tough. Needless to say, I'll be keeping an eye on this thread as often as I can.
rh

Post by rh »

Last edited by rh on Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Great Mother of Merlin! No wonder we are having such 'lovely' weather up here in the midwest today. :o

May safety prevail.
Last edited by anniemcu on Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
jkwest
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

Good Lord!!! :o

good luck, rh....You're in my thoughts!

Seems like everywhere I go
The more I see
the less I know-Michael Franti
rh

Post by rh »

Last edited by rh on Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I talked to my brother today in Abita Springs, LA, and he still was without electricty from Gustav. I got the opinion that Gustav kind of fizzled out when it hit land west of New Orleans, however my brother said that the storm did a lot of damage in Baton Rouge, the state capitol. My nephew is a senior at LSU, and he said that many of the 200 year-old live oak trees on campus were blown down. The universty is not open for classes this week, but students are getting three free meals a day on campus. Because many traffic light are not working in the city, all intersections without working lights are supposed to be four-way stops, but you really have to be vigilant, my nephew said, as some people don't want to stop and continue with their regular driving habits.

As for the other hurricanes that are a threat to the USA, all I can say is that I will be holding all people and other forms of life in my thoughts of safety. May everyone get through this storm season with the minimum amount of disruption and harm.
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

This is one of the problems with Katrina, a hurricane can knock the hell out of a region, and if it's not as bad as Katrina, it's going to be, you know, "not so bad," and the press will pack up and leave and the charity contributions will be poor. It's also an inevitable problem with the 1-5 scale. Oh, it's just a Category 2, no big deal. IT'S A HURRICANE!!
Dale
The Landlord

Post by Dale »

rh wrote:thanks, jk. it could still turn north or south, but right now the forecast track has Ike headed right for my local area by tuesday night.

somebody's gonna feel some pain with this one, regardless.
Oh, man. Are you heading out?
rh

Post by rh »

Last edited by rh on Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

I'm scheduled, thanks to my boss Uncle Sam, to be flying in to Miami for a meeting in the Intercontinental Hotel on Monday. Luckily, the hotel is right on the beach.

I'm rather hoping they decide to reschedule this thing...

Eric
djm

Post by djm »

rh, what's thet thar fern script in yer monicker say? :boggle:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
rh

Post by rh »

Last edited by rh on Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

jim stone wrote: The people in the South said stuff like, 'Well,
when your number's up, it's up,' and 'If it's gonna
get you, it's gonna get you.' They tended to be
fatalists. When the tornado came they sat
in the living room and waited to see what Fate
had in store for them.

People in mid-West, not Fatalistic, hid in the cellar.
It's not fatalism, it's just a case of there not being anywhere to go. As has been pointed out, people in the mid-west HAVE cellars. People in the south do not. You can't run to a cellar you don't have. Until very recently--Hurricane Andrew in the early 90's--no effort was made to build things like "safe rooms" in homes because nobody really believed we had a tornado problem. Now they're available, I've heard, but they're expensive.

When I was a child, schools taught what to do in case of a tornado. Nobody had any clue what a cellar was. Lying down in a ravine was mystifying, because it's flat here--there are no ravines. The only possibility would be a ditch, and those were invariably full of water. You'd drown. Today, you wouldn't even have a ditch.

More recent educational campaigns have succeeded in communicating that one should take shelter in a small, interior room. The bathtub is about as reinforced as you can get here.
Cotelette d'Agneau