You know it's been too long since you last played, when...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

What's the longest time period you've gone without picking up your whistle (or other Trad instrument)?

1 day
3%
Less than 3 months
52%
3-6 months
13%
6-12 months
6%
More than a year (do tell!)
16%
Other
10%

Total votes: 31

aderyn_du
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

You know it's been too long since you last played, when...

Post by aderyn_du »

... you go to pick up two of your whistles, and you can't even remember the makers. Doh! :oops:

I may have to post pictures for identification.

Squeaks and squawks abound,

Ad
Music melts all the separate parts of our bodies together. ~Anais Nin
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

The longest time my flute remained unplayed was in summer last year when I was in Ireland for a backpacking holiday and didn't want to take my expensive flute with me. I was away for a week and took a whistle instead. :)
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Re: You know it's been too long since you last played, when.

Post by anniemcu »

Why looky there... she is... :)

I went about 20 years. Stupid, really.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
emmline

Post by emmline »

I know...Aderyn...who????

(just kidding, just kidding...)
nice to see you 'round these parts. :)
dubhlinn

Re: You know it's been too long since you last played, when.

Post by dubhlinn »

aderyn_du wrote:... you go to pick up two of your whistles, and you can't even remember the makers. Doh! :oops:

I may have to post pictures for identification.

Squeaks and squawks abound,

Ad
Good to hear from ye again,me dear one.

I spent ten years playings with myself..

There's a few players passing through town now and I'm enjoying every note.

It is soooo nice to play with another musician..sooo nice.

Slan,
D.
:)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Before I found myself with an old German 8-key and started playing Irish tunes on it that I found on the Web...

But after college where once upon a time I was a music major for a couple of years...

I spent nearly ten years, pretty much without playing anything. Every blue moon I'd break out an instrument, noodle for ten minutes, and tell myself that was enough for this year. :wink:

Playing Irish traditional music, as bad as I was at it at first, when I barely even had an idea of what it really was, brought music back into my life...and that's been a wonderful thing.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

peeplj wrote: I spent nearly ten years, pretty much without playing anything. Every blue moon I'd break out an instrument, noodle for ten minutes, and tell myself that was enough for this year. :wink:
^This

That's me and my whistles.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I just spent a little under a year without playing my pipes, due chiefly to a difficult time getting used to being single again, and losing my mother over the winter. While I played at her funeral, it wasn't really playing as much as it was saying goodbye and absent mindedly fingering my way through Amazing Grace.

This past Labor Day Weekend I finally sat down and played the begeezus out of them... the first 1/2 hour was a painful exercise in muscle memory recall... but it got better and better after that. I played roughly 24 hours worth over the past three days, and my shoulders feel it very much. :lol:
Denny

Post by Denny »

good fer you!! :D
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Took my whistles to University, and didn't get to play them much. It was more than ten years before I picked them up again, and by that time I was married with children. Saw Guido Gonzato's site and wanted to have a go. Now I'm even getting to grips with the low D.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Doug_Tipple
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Doug_Tipple »

I wanted to learn a band instrument when I was in middle school. We had a silver flute and a cornet in the attic. My brother chose the cornet, and I chose the flute and started taking lessons. However, I began to experience a common problem with beginners on the flute: I became dizzy when I played. Without having the encouragement from an understanding teacher or parent, I gave up the flute as a lost cause. Also, in the little town where I grew up there weren't any other boys that were learning flute; it was considered a girl's instrument. So I missed out on being in the school band.

For years I pretty much stuck with stringed instruments, like the guitar. I remember when I became interested again in wind instruments. I bought a soprano recorder and learned to read recorder music. The soprano and alto recorders pretty much held my attention for a number of years until I got the idea that I wanted to try a flute again. This time, as an adult with some wind experience, I didn't have a problem blowing a silver flute.

I will be 65 in a couple of months, and now my music room is full of intruments. I have tin whistles, plastic whistles, pvc flutes, silver flutes (concert and alto), shakuhachis, bamboo flutes, a guitar, two mandolins, a violin, viola and cello, two frame drums, a djembe drum from Ghana, kalimbas from South Africa, two keyboards, and many other smnaller wind and percussion instruments. I think of them as friends, and I like to have them out of their cases and visible in my life space. Every day I pick one of them up and play something. Yesterday I played the cello, and "Midnight on the Water", a Texas fiddle tune, came to mind. I have two pvc flute embouchures to cut this morning, so I know that I will be playing the flute later on today.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

Doug_Tipple wrote: Yesterday I played the cello, and "Midnight on the Water", a Texas fiddle tune, came to mind.
One of my faves to fiddle. :)
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Over 40 years of playing, I've taken on guitar, banjo, mandolin, fiddle, whistle, and now flute. I've probably never gone more than a couple of days without playing something, but may not touch one particular instrument for a long stretch. e.g. I probably haven't played the fiddle in a few months now. (This makes my family happy).
Flogging Jason

Post by Flogging Jason »

I've been learning to play the guitar and it's been about 2 months since I've played my whistles. A week ago Il Friscaletto came to visit St Augustine and we met up for a little jam. (lots of fun by the way...thank you) After an hour and a half of switching from whistle to guitar to low whistle and back again my arms were jello!
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I haven't played whistles in at least a year. I haven't played harmonica in about six months. I haven't played flute in 2 years. It's all about the mountain dulcimer now. I've played steadily for over 2 years.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm