Geeks Ho!: A question about TV screens

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
brianormond
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by brianormond »

-Be sure to view it at the big box store from the same viewing distance used at home. Displays currently have a minimum-distance sweet spot under which the picture will be subpar. At or over that distance: Freakin' Awesome!

-The miracle of HDTV may reveal imperfections in lighting, makeup or set construction. To wit:

The CBC "Dune" series showed a plainweave burlap sand dune backdrop clearly when played in high resolution-affecting the dramatic tension of the scene. OTOH-it was kind of charming, giving us a sense of participation in unbroken tradition since the first stagings of yore- a tradition of cheesy props over which we eager for diversion cheerfully suspend disbelief.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

djm wrote:I would go for the 1080i, as it is higher resolution than the 1080p currently offered in the same screen sizes. A 52 inch LCD or 50 inch plasma suits my idea of a decent sized monitor, sitting approx 8-10 feet away. Room size and amount of sun in the room during regular tv viewing will be major considerations.

Best bet is to consider the room you will have the set in and then just go around to a few showrooms to get an idea what suits your personal tastes.

djm
Hi djm

Sorry to disagree, but 1080p (1920 x 1080 resolution) is the higher.

If you get a screen over 32" it makes no sense to go lower than this in resolution. In fact the number of 32" screens at this resolution is increasing, at least this side of the pond, so it looks like becoming, at least pro tem, the standard resolution for medium to large size TVs. 2080p and 4160p TVs are still in development and are not likely to be available in the medium term.

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
djm

Post by djm »

Sorry, BD, I used the wrong term. I meant 'refresh', not 'resolution'. The progressive (p) only refreshes half the image at a time. The integrated (i) displays the full image at the same refresh rate. In the showrooms, you can see the difference the integrated (i) display makes. I have seen differences of hundreds of dollars between different models of the same size LCD tvs, whether they are integrated or progressive scan, just because of the difference in refresh rates. The plasma is superior, at up to 4x the LCD refresh rates.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
BigDavy

Post by BigDavy »

Hi djm

You are getting the terms mixed up - Progressive redraws the whole picture, Interlaced (the i in 1080i) refreshes half.

Pogressive Scan

David
Payday, Piping, Percussion and Poetry- the 4 best Ps
djm

Post by djm »

Its not easy being lysdexic, but I didnt expect a whole pogrom! :o

I still think its best to go to a few showrooms and see how things compare side by side to each other.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.