ONE flute to rule them all: Firth, Pond &... With Clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Henke
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

ONE flute to rule them all: Firth, Pond &... With Clips

Post by Henke »

Folks, I just couldn't resist. I've found my precious. Remember the Firth, Pond & Co. Left handed flute from the mid 1800's that was up on e-bay a while ago? I said I didn't want, nor could afford it.
I changed my mind... That flute haunted my dreams, so I contacted Hammy about it, and now it sits here, safely with me.
And what a flute it is. I've only just played it for about 10 minutes or so since I got it, but already I'm in love with it, what a nice player. It's got a full, strong sound, rich bottom end, it's very effortless to fill and it speaks easily with very snappy responce. I expected it to be on the quiet side, with the small bore and small holes and all, but it's not. It's at least as loud as the M&E R&R and the Seery Pratten. BTW, it hasn't got all that small holes, I've not measured since I currently lack a caliper, but it's almost as large holed as the M&E.
I was also surprised by the warm sort of sound it produces even with the silver lined embouchure.
I think this might be the one, I think it will be my main concert flute for the rest of my life. I'm not saying I won't cheat on it, but I don't think I'll ever need another keyed D flute.
It's so lovely to be able to play an antique flute as a lefty, an antique which is acctually well in tune and as good as any other flute I've played. I am so happy.

I might record some clips on it the weekend after this, but while you wait, here are some photos I just shot.

Here it is together with my M&E R&R and Seery Pratten. It comes out a bit more red than it is IRL in this pic.

And here's a pic comparing hole size on the bottom hand section, not scientific, but anyway.

Terry McGee also has a page feathuring this flute, written before it was refurbished by Hammy, here it is:
http://www.mcgee-flutes.com/LH-flutes.htm

UPDATE
Here are a few videos I recorded today. Don't expect much, the sound quality is that of a built in laptop mic. I have also been battling a cold for a few days so I haven't played properly since last weekend, and I still have a bit of a respiratory problem because of the cold so I found myself stuggling for breath on more than a few occations, so please bare with me. It might take a few weeks before I can record anything properly, so I decided to post them anyway, hopefully they'll give you all an idea of the flutes capabilities at least.

Silver Spear/Rolling on the Rye Grass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scyAtMyTG7k

Give me your Hand (first time I played this for probably a year today, but I thought it was nice to display the tone)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HynMIacseoc

O'Mahoney's Reel (lots of rythmic errors, but again, bare with me)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAB-C58yzW4

Now, this a flute instantly became more valuable to me than my whole collection of
whisky :boggle:
Last edited by Henke on Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:04 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Wow, that's a nice one. Congrats!

I too found _my_ flute. I'm going to dive into making flutes soon, but I doubt that I'll ever sell my little session cannon. :)
Jayhawk
Tell us something.: Well, just trying to update my avatar after a decade. Hope this counts! Ok, so apparently I must babble on longer.

Post by Jayhawk »

Hey Henke - beautiful looking flute. The American flutes fascinate me - especially those of the Firth/Hall/Pond complex. Constantly, they're referred to as in tune, smaller bore yet loud, and just nice instruments. They're likely to be the only thing to get me to stray from my own M&E.

Eric
daiv

Post by daiv »

congrats on finding your flute!
Henke

Post by Henke »

Thanks folks.
Jayhawk wrote:They're likely to be the only thing to get me to stray from my own M&E.
That's funny you say that Eric. I will keep my beloved M&E 5-key as a trusty backup, but I fear it will get little play in comparance.

Wow, finally friday, I'm of to have some
whisky
:party:
plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I think I finally found "my" flute, too... Oddly enough, it's a Grey Larsen Preferred by Terry McGee which is modeled on a Firth and Pond as well.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Jon C.
Tell us something.: I restore 19th century flutes, specializing in Rudall & Rose, and early American flutes. I occasionally make new flutes. Been at it for about 15 years.

Post by Jon C. »

Glad you went for it, the flute was made for you! Lefty! :D They are amazing flutes, smaller holed, but big tone. I am glad the flute found a new home. :party:
"I love the flute because it's the one instrument in the world where you can feel your own breath. I can feel my breath with my fingers. It's as if I'm speaking from my soul..."
Michael Flatley

Jon
deisman
Tell us something.: I'm a traveling man, made a lot of stops. All over this world. And in every port, I own the heart of a cute little girl. Woah, I'm a travel'n man. Yes, I'm a travel'n maa-an. Woah, I'm a travel'n man.

the haunted flute

Post by deisman »

Way to go Henke! What an awesome flute. I'd love a listen if you get time to post. Your story kind of reminds me of when I was looking to replace my old BMW and couldn't find a decent used replacement for it and I ended up being haunted by the (then new) Honda Element. I'd never bought a new car in my life, but kept coming back to it no matter how hard I tried to find something else. Never regretted it - suits me perfectly & I love it as much today as 4 years ago. Hope you continue to love your new flute.

Deisman
I'm on it...
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Hey, congrats Henke on finding "your flute", and a beauty too! Good luck with it-may the tunes flow like...um, dare I say, whiskey? :wink:

Have a blast (of flute)! :party:
~~~~
Barry
Cork

Post by Cork »

Congratulations, Henke!

Talk about an odd duck, all of my Boehm flutes include an Open G# key, which is relatively rare, especially of the past few decades, and more.

That said, I can appreciate your finding a keyed LH flute, and, even better, one you really like.

Again, congratulations!
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wormdiet »

The one that got away!

I would have been all over that one except I already own a good keyed lefty. . . still, how cool is an antique lefty?

May you make great music for years!
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
domino
Tell us something.: Flute,
Traditional music of Ireland and Scotland
Friend of County Clare
Lover of the West Wind and all who sail in her

Post by domino »

Hope you continue to love your flute, told Hammy myself that if it was still up for grabs come the new year that i'd buy it (cash flow) but glad it's found a good home , take good care of it in case you ever change your mind i'd appreciate another chance but that sounds unlikely... happy tooting man.
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Jayhawk wrote:. The American flutes fascinate me - especially those of the Firth/Hall/Pond complex. Constantly, they're referred to as in tune,

Eric
Henke . Would you say it's more in tune with Fnat opened when playing F#, old style fingering?

Kevin
Henke

Post by Henke »

gorjuswrex wrote:
Jayhawk wrote:. The American flutes fascinate me - especially those of the Firth/Hall/Pond complex. Constantly, they're referred to as in tune,

Eric
Henke . Would you say it's more in tune with Fnat opened when playing F#, old style fingering?

Kevin
Good question Kevin. Just tried it against a tuner, and it does seem that the F# is slightly more in tune with the F key open, but it's not noticably out of tune when it's closed eighter. It seems like the G and the F# is very slightly flat when the flute is tuned to A. The B, E and D are spot on though (interestingly).

And with a voice like
whisky :)
Sillydill

Post by Sillydill »

Hey Henke,

In honor of your new flute and closing line. :D I could find the lyrics, but not the tune. I've got an old recording of this by the Clancy Brothers.

WHISKEY, YOU'RE THE DEVIL

Now brave boys, we're on the march
off to Portugal and Spain
Drums are beating, banners flying
the Devil at home will come tonight
so it's go, fare thee well
with a too da loo ra loo ra doo de da
a too ra loo ra loo ra doo de da
me rikes fall too ra laddie-o
there's whisky in the jar

Oh, whisky you're the devil
you're leading me astray