Prayers for New Orleans... again...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Prayers for New Orleans... again...

Post by anniemcu »

My dear friend there is battening and preparing for the worst, which, due to the unrepaired damages from Katrina, could be pretty darned bad.

Please keep them in your prayers.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

We are, and have been since we first learned of the new threat.

Thank God, at least, they're moving people out ahead of the storm this time. I saw on the news today that the major routes out of town have all been made one-way to accommodate the traffic, and people without cars are being directed to city bus stops where they can take the bus (for free) to the train or Greyhound station, where (free) transportation out of harm's way is being coordinated. Hopefully this time the deathtrap of in town "shelter" can be avoided.

The mayor of New Orleans was saying that the storm is expected to have the strongest impact on a different part of town than was devastated in Katrina, so folks who got off relatively lightly then may have to prepare for the worst now. :sniffle:

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
rh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rh »

Last edited by rh on Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

My brother and his wife lives in Abita Springs, LA, which is right across the lake from New Orleans. They got hit really bad during Katrina, so he isn't taking any chances this time. His wife, who works as supervisor in a facility in New Orleans, has left to supervise a group of mental health patients who have been moved to another facility farther inland from New Orleans. My brother has been left with getting the house ready for the storm. When I called this morning he was gathering photos from the walls of his house, getting cash from the bank, and getting the four cats and three dogs into the car. He plans to ride out the storm at his son's apartment in Baton Rouge, which is further inland and didn't get hit too badly during Katrina. I wish the best for all of the people on the Gulf coast.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

I lurk on a list for Cajun musicians.
The ones who have had the time and clarity of thought to think about it have been coming on line to say good bye,
express their wishes that they'll have a place to come home to,
and sometimes mention where they're evacuating to.

I don't think any of us can fully imagine what it feels like to be going through what they're going through.

Even after you've left home with what little you can carry, the roads must be a total nightmare complete with gas stations running out of gas.

I'm lighting candles but I'm at a loss where specifically to direct the energy.
byanychance
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by byanychance »

They most definitely are.
My sister is in the Caribbean right now, I'm almost freaking out. I think I've just caught a worrisome bug from my grandma and aunt (they're always worried, not that I find that a bad trait, but its overwhelming).
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Lesley and I will be praying that it is not as bad as it appears. You are in our thoughts.
Roland
missy

Post by missy »

I don't know how far some of the refugees want to come - but if you want to REALLY be on the safe side and come to Ohio - the dulcimer flop house is open!!

Seriously, I'm praying that people PAY ATTENTION AND GET OUT OF THERE. Yes, it's devistating to loose a house and a life time of pictures, etc. (been there done that in a tornado). But it's "stuff" and you can live without "stuff". Life is so much more important than "stuff".

And unlike a tornado - you've got more than 5 minutes warning.

I also pray that people in areas other than Nawlins take heed and get out. Tom doesn't want to have to go down to Biloxi again!!!!!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
Redwolf

Post by Redwolf »

Has anyone heard whether any provision has been made for pets this time? One of the main reasons people will refuse to leave their homes in a disaster is that authorities will force them to leave family pets behind to "take their chances." This wasn't helped by scenes at the Superdome after Katrina, with soldiers forcibly taking a dog from a crying boy's arms (the dog was never seen again). A lot of noise was made about how "next time" some procedures would be in place to accommodate companion animals, but I haven't heard anything about it since.

I'll never forget an ad that was run some years ago by either HSUS or ASPCA. It showed an elderly lady sitting in her front room, nervously stroking a frightened cat in her lap, while sirens were going off in the background. The voice over simply said "If you want her to save herself, don't ask her to leave her best friend behind."

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

My friend works in a hospital, and it's very hard to leave that responsibility. Her husband is one of the workers that deals hands-on with emergencies, so he's got a real tough decision too. I am pretty sure both will opt to do their jobs because it will help others, and therefore still be in danger. There are a lot of folk who are in similar positions... go and save yourself, or stay and help save others...
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Jack

Post by Jack »

After two hits in a few years, I think I'd move. If you choose to live in Norlins with this kind of threat well known, this is the consequence you must accept. I feel sorry for the people who must live there, for whatever reason (such as the homeless and mental).
MandoMark

Post by MandoMark »

Redwolf wrote:Has anyone heard whether any provision has been made for pets this time? One of the main reasons people will refuse to leave their homes in a disaster is that authorities will force them to leave family pets behind to "take their chances." This wasn't helped by scenes at the Superdome after Katrina, with soldiers forcibly taking a dog from a crying boy's arms (the dog was never seen again). A lot of noise was made about how "next time" some procedures would be in place to accommodate companion animals, but I haven't heard anything about it since.

I'll never forget an ad that was run some years ago by either HSUS or ASPCA. It showed an elderly lady sitting in her front room, nervously stroking a frightened cat in her lap, while sirens were going off in the background. The voice over simply said "If you want her to save herself, don't ask her to leave her best friend behind."

Redwolf
On MSNBC this morning they were talking with volunteers who were processing small critters (cats, small dogs). All the animals were being tagged and put into carriers for evac. Can't say if this is the exception or the rule, but it does seem like there is pretty good help available, provided people can get there.
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

BBC News is reporting some scary stuff..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7590426.stm

Be strong,

Slan,
D.
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Redwolf wrote:Has anyone heard whether any provision has been made for pets this time? One of the main reasons people will refuse to leave their homes in a disaster is that authorities will force them to leave family pets behind to "take their chances." This wasn't helped by scenes at the Superdome after Katrina, with soldiers forcibly taking a dog from a crying boy's arms (the dog was never seen again). A lot of noise was made about how "next time" some procedures would be in place to accommodate companion animals, but I haven't heard anything about it since.

Redwolf
I heard a news blurb a couple of days ago that arrangements have been made for up to 30,000 pets. I didn't what the arrangements are.
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

Jack wrote: (such as the homeless and mental).
Jack, you have such a way with words! But your point is valid. New Orleans is home to many thousands who live with limited means and options, and no access to safe havens elsewhere. Many will surely try to ride it out. I pray this is not as bad as it looks.