Need some ideas

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Derekthewhistler

Need some ideas

Post by Derekthewhistler »

Hello all, I am new to whistleing...Well, new again...I played around with it a few years back but then had a child so no time until now.

Anyways, I am looking for some ideas for simple soft music. I ran out of songs to sing to my daughter and would like some simple, low played tunes to whistle for her at night. Any ideas are welcome :)
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

I'd suggest Fanny Power, Si Beag Si Mor, Twisting the Hayrope... There are TONS more. Actually, you can take almost any tune and slow it way down and it sounds like a slow air - not true of all, but works with many. A good example is "Fig for a Kiss". Have Fun!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Those are good suggestions. The O'Carolan tunes are timeless, comforting and inspiring. If you don't have time to learn them on whistle, then just make up words or hum them. There's no better way to care for an infant.
kothz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by kothz »

The Dark Isle (http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/4906) is a nice one. Where it drops down to a C, you can throw in an E and still keep the feel of the tune.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

The Eagles' Whistle in the the arrangement/key in the Bill Ochs whistle tutor is lovely played slow & low. It's also not a difficult tune; it's in the earlier part of the book.

Three-part slip jig The Butterfly is a slightly more difficult tune that is also gorgeous when played slowly.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

None.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

What about all the nursey rhymmes and children's song you already know. They can be played on whistles too and whatever style you need to play them in.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
MusicalADD

Post by MusicalADD »

Inisheer ("Inis oir?)

and

The South Wind

both are also nice, pretty, easy to learn
kothz

Post by kothz »

Close :) Inis Oírr

How about Lizzy Lindsay... Mary from Dungloe... The Parting Glass...
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

And if you want to avoid the upper end of the second octave so it doesn't get too loud, you can just back off on the breath and let everything fall into the lower octave. It may not 'sound' like the tune is suposed to, but it keeps it softer and is also good breath practice. It's actually a pretty good exercise in listening and breath and comes in useful when you're playing with more than one whistle and want to avoid the dreaded 'everyone is playing high B at the same time and our brains hurt' syndrome.
WARD1066

Post by WARD1066 »

The crested hen is nice.
Boulavogue.
Cailín na Gruaige Báine
Prayer from the North
Danny Boy (aka the Derry Air or aka the Londonderry Air)
Women of Ireland

Just some of my favourites.
jen f

Post by jen f »

The Arran Boat
The Skye Boat Song
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Bladon Races, the Rakes of Mallow and the Lancers Quadrille.

and "The Cat Rambles to the Child's Saucepan".
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Down by the Sally Gardens. (the song air, not the "Sally Gardens" reel)

The Gartan Mother's Lullaby.

I Dreamt I Dwelt in Marble Halls.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

I do believe that often, it´s a matter of articulation and rhytm. I remember putting myself to sleep with mutated Cooley's reel on low whistle...while in it´s basic form, it sure is no lullaby.

I guess that most other tunes can be changed in such a way.

Or nice night improvisation could work very well, don´t know how it goes in your case, in mine, I can play the best in the evening (or I´m so sleepy I can´t hear I play crap :-)).

from known tunes, Down by the Glenside, Amhrán na Leabhair, Lakes of Ponchertrain come to my mind. Or Pair of Brown Eyes, or SUmmer in Siam, if you´re familiar with the Pogues.