Linux anyone?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Tyler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Linux anyone?

Post by Tyler »

I've been piecing together a sort of Frankenstein's monster of a computer and just now got around to firing it up and loading an OS.

I chose Fedora 9 for the operating system, and so far it's working out great, but it's like learning to ride a bicycle after years of...., well, not riding a bicycle!
Operating systems mainly all operate based on a few principles, so learning the bare basics has been easy.

One thing I'm already loving about Fedora is the ability to put a "drawer" on the panel and chuck dern near anything I want close at hand into it.

The standard desktop theme changes with the time of day, which I thought was a cool touch.

Any other Linux users in Chiffdom?
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

I triple-boot XP Pro, Vista 64, and Linux.

Fedora is a good distro, very polished and well-tested and maintained. I've also found that OpenSuSE, Debian, and Knoppix can made a good desktop OS.

I tend to lean towards the Debian side because I love apt-get. It's just the easiest way to install software anyone's ever come up with, just type "apt-get install" and the name of the software, and it does the rest. That's the way Windows should work. :wink:

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
jlunt

Post by jlunt »

I like Kubuntu. It's Ubuntu with KDE instead of GNOME. Both are very good, but I'm more comfortable with KDE. It's also very easy to update.
Merry Blacksmith on a Feadog.
Absent-Minded Woman.
Yes... I am a beginner.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

My son has Ubuntu. Some of my customers have Linux. I, of course, have good old green-screen Unix. None of this GUI nonsense... :wink:
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
djm

Post by djm »

I always regret never having learned X-windows well. Where I was working was multiple versions of *NIX, but always forbade filling their fragile networks with Xwin code, so I am still bumbling along in vi, wondering how those pretty Xwins work.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

djm wrote:I always regret never having learned X-windows well. Where I was working was multiple versions of *NIX, but always forbade filling their fragile networks with Xwin code, so I am still bumbling along in vi, wondering how those pretty Xwins work.

djm
Where I work, a practical knowledge of vi is a real plus...and pretty much a necessity for my specific job.

Knowing vi is a Good Thing. :)

It may not be pretty, but it exists on just about every UNIX or Unix-like OS out there. Learn it once, and never be without an editor again.

--James

P.S. Since text editors came up, another favorite is joe. Invoke it with the command "jstar," and it emulates WordStar. I spent years using WordStar in CP/M and DOS...I know that old command set deep down in my fingers. (Even though I can't tell you how to do something, my fingers know! :lol: )

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Domhnall

Post by Domhnall »

My desktop computer runs Ubuntu. I really like it, its clean and simple, and comes pre-loaded with more or less everything you need, and has an installer which makes it easy to find and install any other programs you might desire.

On a non-linux sort of note, I just got a laptop that runs Vista. I'm still getting my head around it, but it doesn't seem quite as easy to navigate as Ubuntu, still, its a giant step up from earlier versions of Windows. If only I could get something to install properly...
Dan Henshall

Music: myspace.com/danhenshall

Blog: danhenshall.livejournal.com
Denny

Post by Denny »

Domhnall wrote:a giant step up from earlier versions of Windows. If only I could get something to install properly...
:lol:
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I just got a laptop that runs Vista. I'm still getting my head around it, but it doesn't seem quite as easy to navigate as Ubuntu, still, its a giant step up from earlier versions of Windows. If only I could get something to install properly...
Turn UAC off and then disable your antivirus until your install is done.

I've not really had much trouble with anything in Vista 64 since I disabled UAC.

UAC is not a "sudo"-type (sandboxed) environment anyway--having it on gains you a lot of irritation but not really much security.

--James

-------
Tyler
Tell us something.: I've picked up the tinwhistle again after several years, and have recently purchased a Chieftain v5 from Kerry Whistles that I cannot wait to get (why can't we beam stuff yet, come on Captain Kirk, get me my Low D!)

Post by Tyler »

good to know there are other Linux users around here.

The more I use Fedora the more I'm tempted to install it on my laptop to use as a primary OS instead of Vista...

on that note, I was doing some research and came across a version of Linux called Vixta that imitates Vista in look, feel, and some features but takes up half the space on your hard drive and half the memory usage.

Domhnall wrote:

On a non-linux sort of note, I just got a laptop that runs Vista. I'm still getting my head around it, but it doesn't seem quite as easy to navigate as Ubuntu, still, its a giant step up from earlier versions of Windows. If only I could get something to install properly...
That's debatable... :lol: but that's also a topic for another thread.

Gotta git back to work, but I'll check back later....
“First lesson: money is not wealth; Second lesson: experiences are more valuable than possessions; Third lesson: by the time you arrive at your goal it’s never what you imagined it would be so learn to enjoy the process” - unknown
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

My former boss gave me a computer with windows XP on it. The OS only works maybe 1/4 of the time and my suspicion is that it's all bootleg anyway. I've considered replacing it with some kind of linux installation. I haven't taken the leap though. I am not all that terribly experienced installing operating systems. What would I do? Go out to some website and download it? Would I have to put whatever I downloaded onto a CD in order to install it?
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
djm

Post by djm »

You wouldn't have to with some of the implementations out there, but it would be advisable, in case you needed to do it again at a later date.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

My laptop in my workshop for making whistles runs on a hard disk implementation of Knoppix. You can run it for months and keeps on going.
Tyler

Post by Tyler »

for anyone interested, here's the link to Vixta...

chrisoff

Post by chrisoff »

I have Ubuntu on another boot partition but never use it because the wifi doesn't bloody work since I upgraded it to Hardy Heron and after a couple of weeks trying to get it work I've given up.

This is why Linux can never be mainstream.

Might try a different distro sometime soon though.