Devondancer update

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
Innocent Bystander
antispam: No

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Good to hear! Thanks for keeping us informed!
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

fabulous, fabulous news!!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Excellent news.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

That IS excellent news, Roland! Gosh! I'd go down to the sea and bring back a little basket of pebbles, if I were you.

Here's a little Fun Fact to share with Lesley. In Florida, where I live, particularly from the middle down, we . . . do not have indigenous rocks. No boulders stick up from the ground. No gravel streambeds. No pebbly beaches--ours are sand. When you dig a garden, you do not have to remove rocks. If you need a doorstop, you can't just go out and pick up a rock.

Now, you will see rocks here, but they are either utilitarian or ornamental. Most of them are . . . imported from Canada.
Cotelette d'Agneau
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

That's cuz Canada rocks!!! :D

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

That is amazing news-but not unexpected to any of us.
Devondancer is definitely a fighter and she has a devoted side-kick.

Yeah, get outside in the air. That really does wonders when you've been cooped up for so long.

We knew you could do it devondancer!
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
missy

Post by missy »

Azalin wrote:Roland, tell Lesley she will now have to learn to play concertina, this is why she's been given a second chance :D
Oh, and the mountain dulcimer!!!

Hey - this could be fun. We can all come for a visit and teach Leslie to play an instrument! Or a song she doesn't know!
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

That's really fantastic. Well done, the both of you!
tansy

Post by tansy »

Ah, I've been away from WIFI for a couple of days and she walks! We are all so happy for you both, she still needs to take it one step at a time, or one beach at a time :party: :party: :party:
Martin Milner

Post by Martin Milner »

Excellent news - I know if I spend even a day indoors with a cold, I start to feel very antsy. A trip outside, even if it's only for a few minutes, will do Lesley wonders - as if she wasn't already performing miracles!
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

Today when I arrived Lesley was in a chair looking smug, and there was no sign of the Zimmer frame. However, I didn't seem to remember the heap of blankets and bedding in the corner! Sure enough, there was the frame, banished from sight. And just to prove why she had done it, Lesley walked, albeit slowly and painfully, from her chair to the wheelchair I had brought in for our trip to the great outdoors! My miracle woman!

The car park was wonderful! She loved it: the breeze, the sun (yes, there was sun!), the sky, a tree or two, some rather tired grass . . . We sat together and she whistled dance tunes, very loudly! The Triumph, Ladies Pleasure, Heartsease - you can see how she was feeling. Even more funnily, some people came over and tried to give ME money! At first I thought they wanted to buy her, but it was obviously for the music. Lesley refused, politely, saying that she was just celebrating! We didn't stay long, as she was obviously tiring quite quickly, but it did her such a lot of good.

And some even better news: if she continues to improve like this, the surgeons think she might be able to come home by the end of next week!!!! There will still be more, and frequent, returns, and the possibility of further surgery in the future (if she consents), plus physio and all the other stuff that goes with hospitals, but she will be home. I never thought that day would come.

I shall continue to update you, but perhaps less regularly, at least until she comes home and can talk to you all herself. She says she feels almost shy now: you all know her so well!

Thank you again for your kindness, love, patience with me and care for both of us. I still cannot believe what a wonderful community you are.

Ro.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Good news. Stay outside as much as you can. When can she have a cream tea???? Man, that's my fondest memory of that wonderful place. Red soil, red cattle, green grass, cream teas 'n scones.... I love Devon. It doesn't hurt that there's a town with my last name down there (Beeson) by Slapton Sands... Take her to the beach, I say!!!!
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Oh, Ro, your focus will turn, and we few here will be a thing of the past... (arm to forehead):cry:

:lol: :lol:

Keep getting well Lesley! 'See' you soon!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
devondancer

Post by devondancer »

You may be right, Sarah / annie, in that once Lesley is home I will relinquish the desk and chair to its rightful owner, and leave most of the posting to the genuine devondancer. But never, ever, will I forget these awful weeks and the hope and inspiration that was given me by all of you on the board. I promise you that. I have been given back the most precious person in the world to me, and I am not going to forget who helped me to cope so that I could help her. And I will do my utmost to give the same help to someone else that you have given to me, as the only way in which I can repay all your kindness.
Ro
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

devondancer wrote:You may be right, Sarah / annie, in that once Lesley is home I will relinquish the desk and chair to its rightful owner, and leave most of the posting to the genuine devondancer. But never, ever, will I forget these awful weeks and the hope and inspiration that was given me by all of you on the board. I promise you that. I have been given back the most precious person in the world to me, and I am not going to forget who helped me to cope so that I could help her. And I will do my utmost to give the same help to someone else that you have given to me, as the only way in which I can repay all your kindness.
Ro
Your eloquence in stating your appreciation is thanks enough for me. People take each other for granted in relationships all the time. Your obvious love is a good reminder to all of us with significant others to remember what's important, what must be said and shown. I have "gone down the road" and thought about how I would feel if the other Weekender took this kind of turn, because of your posts. So thank you!