Television, or not?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!

Do you have a television, or not?

Yes?
76%
No?
24%

Total votes: 42

Cork
antispam: No

Television, or not?

Post by Cork »

Do you have a television, including cable, satellite, etc., or do you not have a television?
Redwolf
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Re: Television, or not?

Post by Redwolf »

Cork wrote:Do you have a television, including cable, satellite, etc., or do you not have a television?
We have a TV in the living room and one in the bedroom...both with cable. Mostly we watch in the living room, but occasionally it's nice to lie in bed and watch a movie.

Redwolf
...agus déanfaidh mé do mholadh ar an gcruit a Dhia, a Dhia liom!
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Our house bristles with televisions. But we actually watch television less than an hour a day. Most of them are used for gaming.
With the change-over to digital, there is very little in the programming to interest us. Well, little to interest me. My wife and daughter still watch the X factor, heaven help us. They watch some of the cookery competitions, makeover programs and Supernanny. I watch the wildlife programs and anything in the way of comedy. There is little enough. When films are on we rarely watch them live but record them and watch them later. It tends to be months later.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

We also have a number of TVs, but don't watch much actual TV. House and South Park, news and weather mostly. We do watch a fair number of rented movies.
People keep telling me that I MUST start watching this series or that, but the truth is that I don't want to get hooked on any of them. Too many other things to do...
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Martin Milner
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Martin Milner »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Our house bristles with televisions. But we actually watch television less than an hour a day. Most of them are used for gaming.
With the change-over to digital, there is very little in the programming to interest us. Well, little to interest me. My wife and daughter still watch the X factor, heaven help us. They watch some of the cookery competitions, makeover programs and Supernanny. I watch the wildlife programs and anything in the way of comedy. There is little enough. When films are on we rarely watch them live but record them and watch them later. It tends to be months later.
Very similar here, except we don't watch X-Factor, cookery competitions, or makeover programs. We have a freeview box with hard-drive DVD that makes recording and deleting very easy, so we tend to set things to record and watch them later - every if it's 15 minutes later while the program is still recording, so we can cut out the advert breaks. We tend to record shows like Have I Got News for You, Room 101, and QI, that are being repeated on various Freeview channels.

I can't remember the last programme I actually sat down to watch live, it's just not necessary anymore.

I do the same thing with radio - scan the listings at the weekend, set my recordings, and then listen when I want to. Generally I record more than I have time to listen to, so a lot of stuff gets dumped or saved for those rainy weekends when I have time to review my haul.
emmline

Post by emmline »

There's a medium-sized, non-HD, not-flat screen tv in the den/fam.room/whatever you call it, where we watch dvds or Gabe plays Resistance:Fall of Man (or whatever the game-du-jour may be.) Or occasionally find something worthwhile in the regular programming.

There's a small monitor (which really is a computer monitor) in the living room where Jeff often watches the talking, nay barking, heads on MSNBC. (Kramer, for example.)
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

We both love TV. Movies, dramas, PBS, nature shows, sitcoms, everything but sports. When I married my wife, she had three rules, one of which was, "No TV in the bedroom."
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Doug_Tipple

Post by Doug_Tipple »

We have a HD TV in the living room and a analog TV in the upstairs den, which is used only when my wife and I can't agree of what to watch. I like many of the show on PBS, with Nova, American Experience, Masterpiece Theater, and Antiques Roadshow favorites of mine. I try to limit myself to no more than an hour of TV a day.
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

I watch very little TV. My wife watches a lot of TV. If I ever had to pick another significant other one condition would be they do not like to watch TV.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

We have a TV.

We occasionally catch a cooking show...we're both fond of Top Chef.

I also enjoy the Discovery Channel and the History Channel.

We watch maybe an hour of TV a week. Maybe.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
pixyy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Just updating my profile after 16+ years of C&F membership. Sold most of my flutes, play the ones I still own and occasionally still enjoy coming here and read about flute related subjects.

Post by pixyy »

We had cable in our previous building and watched more TV than we wanted to use/waste time on.

A recent move to the country was an excellent opportunity to get rid of the TV. Haven't missed it for a second during the last 2 months!
We watch DVD's on the laptop occasionally.

:thumbsup:
mukade

Post by mukade »

Masturbation and watching a lot of TV - nobody will admit to either.

If we have to watch TV we only watch documentaries and those lovely animal programmes by David Attenborough.

I don't have a TV...really...the rest I will leave to your imagination.

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Have? Yes.
Watch? Not much.
Thousands of channels, nothing good on.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

I do not own a TV, so I watch almost next to no television. My roomate does have a TV, which allows me to occasionally catch the news or a stray episode of Anthony Bourdain's No Reservations. If I am really lucky, I might even get to watch a Cubs game.

Life without the babble box seems so much richer for some reason, plus, there also seems to be all kinds of time to actually accomplish stuff. :D
djm

Post by djm »

Yeah, right. And how do you explain all that hair on your palms. :really:

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.