Walking with Dinosaurs

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
rh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Walking with Dinosaurs

Post by rh »

Last edited by rh on Sat Sep 06, 2008 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Open the door, get on the floor.

Who cares about the family? I'd like to go and see this for myself. :)

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Joseph E. Smith

Post by Joseph E. Smith »

It's an animatronic exhibit, and if you do not mind the grossly inacurate representations of the air driven rubber beasties presented before you, you should be able to enjoy it a good deal.

The kids, however, may mind the inacurate representations more than the adults. :D
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

djm wrote:Open the door, get on the floor.
:D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeNbJQ6naJs :D
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I wonder why dinosaurs always have growly, roary sounding calls. It's amazing how many of my students don't believe me when I say that we really don't know what they sound like. I like to theorize that tyranosaurus sounded like a kitten.

Well, it could have. So there. Neener neener.

T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Flyingcursor
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

WyoBadger wrote:I wonder why dinosaurs always have growly, roary sounding calls. It's amazing how many of my students don't believe me when I say that we really don't know what they sound like. I like to theorize that tyranosaurus sounded like a kitten.

Well, it could have. So there. Neener neener.

T
My daughters and I were questioning that very thing not long ago.
They always give a triceretops sort of a honking sound and the long necked ones a whiny mooooo. They save the roars for the carnivores.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm
djm

Post by djm »

I think the roaring bit is a form of anthropomorphism. If you listen to lizards, there's few of them can manage more than a loud hiss. It is large carnivorous mammals that roar, and since this is more in line with human experience, it seems to add drama for our entertainment to have dinosaurs roar.

djm
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

djm wrote:I think the roaring bit is a form of anthropomorphism. If you listen to lizards
:-?

Of course, I'm a toad, dammit.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Joseph E. Smith

djm wrote:I think the roaring bit is a form of anthropomorphism. If you listen to lizards, there's few of them can manage more than a loud hiss. It is large carnivorous mammals that roar, and since this is more in line with human experience, it seems to add drama for our entertainment to have dinosaurs roar.

djm
I'm inclined to agree with this, for the most part. However, the fossil record shows that some dinosaurs (especially among the hadrosaurs [duckbilled dinos] and their relations), there are unique nasal/cerebral cavities that support the theory of some paleontologists who argue that these cavities could've been used for sound production. But as there was no one around, able and willing to document this behavior 65+ million years ago, it is only conjecture at this point.
djm

Post by djm »

Which brings us to the greatest matter of conjecture and debate of all (you know, the one that everyone seems to be avoiding): Could dinosaurs sing, and if they could have, would they have agreed to do tv and radio commercials?

djm
Joseph E. Smith

djm wrote:Which brings us to the greatest matter of conjecture and debate of all (you know, the one that everyone seems to be avoiding): Could dinosaurs sing, and if they could have, would they have agreed to do tv and radio commercials?

djm
If there had been TV back then, I'm pretty certain the dinos would've demolished the buildings it might have been in.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Joseph E. Smith wrote: I'm inclined to agree with this, for the most part. However, the fossil record shows that some dinosaurs (especially among the hadrosaurs [duckbilled dinos] and their relations), there are unique nasal/cerebral cavities that support the theory of some paleontologists who argue that these cavities could've been used for sound production. But as there was no one around, able and willing to document this behavior 65+ million years ago, it is only conjecture at this point.
No! You mean that scene in JP3 where Sam Neill makes the "my big friends are coming and they're going to kick your butts" noise, using the cast of the velociraptor larynx is mere Hollywood hokum? :lol:
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Not only that, but Pterodactyls could only fly if the atmosphere was about three times as dense as it is today. So the sounds would be very different from what we would easily imagine. I'm thinking along the lines of dolphinspeak and whalesong, but that's just another wild guess.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Joseph E. Smith

emmline wrote: No! You mean that scene in JP3 where Sam Neill makes the "my big friends are coming and they're going to kick your butts" noise, using the cast of the velociraptor larynx is mere Hollywood hokum? :lol:
Not in the least dear Emmline, as we all know, Hollywood is always top dead center and never wrong... silly girl... :P :wink:
djm

Post by djm »

JES wrote:However, the fossil record shows that some dinosaurs (especially among the hadrosaurs [duckbilled dinos] and their relations), there are unique nasal/cerebral cavities that support the theory of some paleontologists who argue that these cavities could've been used for sound production.
I think I have proven to everyone's satisfaction that these structures were only capable of producing loud, sustained farting noises.

djm