Bugs are driving us crazy

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dwinterfield
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Bugs are driving us crazy

Post by dwinterfield »

There is the sudden appearance of many small winged insects. They have a short life expectancy I hope.
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Probably termites. Yeah, they'll shed those wings soon.
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Either that or carpenter ants.

If you were here, it'd be love bugs.
Cotelette d'Agneau
dwinterfield

Post by dwinterfield »

Thanks for the optimistic thoughts. Hopefully their life-cycle will take them to dormancy before dawn. Or maybe they could go visit you!! :)
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

Are they inside or outside?
Cotelette d'Agneau
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

What kind of bugs? We have moths. We have them because we have birds and something in their food is infested. I hate moths. I hate cheap bird food even more but I can't convince the man in the house.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
mukade

Post by mukade »

Same here.
We forgot about an open box of cereal and the moths invaded.
Summer is nearly over, so they will be gone soon.

At least there were no roaches this year - thanks to this chap and his companions-in-arms(or legs.)

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Over the last few days, I've seen some insect that looks like a cross between a house fly and a locust. I didn't grow up in West Virginia. The bugs here are strange. I do have a few preying mantis in my backyard though. They're nice.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

sbfluter wrote:What kind of bugs? We have moths. We have them because we have birds and something in their food is infested. I hate moths. I hate cheap bird food even more but I can't convince the man in the house.
The bird food is infested. The larvae poo all over the seed. Your birdies want fresh food!

Just keep the food in the freezer (or fridge)--no more moths.

Have you discussed nutritional deficiencies with that man? Considering that bird food isn't that expensive, even when it's expensive, is it nice to compromise at the expense of your friends' health? I'm sure if the birds were dogs, he'd be buying primo chow. I'd be inclined to keep the birds and get rid of HIM.
Cotelette d'Agneau
Lambchop

Post by Lambchop »

mutepointe wrote:Over the last few days, I've seen some insect that looks like a cross between a house fly and a locust. .
Cicada? <-- clicky
Cotelette d'Agneau
Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV

Post by Roderick [Rod] Sprague IV »

This is also about the time of the Northern Hemisphere's migration of many species of aphids from the spring to winter hosts. It gives me an odd sense of grandeur. Many different species of ants also disperse the winged males and winged virgin queens when the fall rains start. We had a remarkable swarm of one of the smaller species of ant in my trailer court.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Don't you wish you were a frog?
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Lambchop wrote:
mutepointe wrote:Over the last few days, I've seen some insect that looks like a cross between a house fly and a locust. .
Cicada? <-- clicky
Nope, that's not it. The cicada body is vertical. This insect is horizontal in orientation. In size this insect falls right between a housefly and a locust. It's wings have the striking veining of a locust and your picture of a cicada.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

There are a lot fewer flying bugs in London than in Rochester NY, but there are some, and houses here don't have window screens. For an exorbitant amount you can get custom made window screens. This year hasn't been bad but if we have another summer like last year I'm either getting the custom screens or getting some mesh and a bunch of duct tape..
Flyingcursor
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: This is the first sentence. This is the second of the recommended sentences intended to thwart spam its. This is a third, bonus sentence!

Post by Flyingcursor »

We've had the greatest number of tunnel spiders I've ever seen. That's in addition to hundreds of other kinds of spiders. Amazingly we haven't had any big-butt spiders but we've had enormous tunnel spiders everywhere. This weekend I'm initiating a pogram.
I'm no longer trying a new posting paradigm