How come whistles are sparcely used in sessions?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
BlackFire_
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How come whistles are sparcely used in sessions?

Post by BlackFire_ »

I've never attended a session, but I've seen videos online, or even audio clips with member lists, and the whistle seems to be seldom used in this kind of setting.

Why would instruments like the fiddle, pipes, and even accordions be much more common than whistles?
Dameon

Post by Dameon »

It depends on where you go. Whistles are fairly common around here. There's one session nearby that I've seen consisting of three whistlers and one fiddler.

However, one reason that they might be uncommon is because they're seen as something of a beginner's instrument, and most people move on to one of the more "advanced" instruments fairly quickly. Some people view bringing one to a session sort of like bringing a recorder to play in an orchestra.
Last edited by Dameon on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bretton
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Most of the sessions around here (South-Central Indiana and Central Indiana) usually have a whistle or three. I've also been to a few sessions in Boston and whistles were well represented there as well.

They're actually fairly common in my experience...

-Brett
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

Have you ever tried to play in tune with another whistler? :)
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

I too have noticed that many online session videos don't have whistlers, including sessions in Ireland, but who knows why.

I know many whistle players also play flute and maybe the whistle/flute player is playing flute in those particular videos?

Or...the whistle player who showed up isn't very good and was asked to "sit this one out"? :)

Or maybe the whistle player(s) didn't make it to that session?

Who knows.

Around here, just about everyone in the sessions is multi-talented and plays whistle at varying levels from pro to beginner. We normally have anywhere from 6-10 musicians at our weekly Thurs night session and it's common to have 4-5 good whistlers with years of session experience attending, and 2-3 beginners. We just stick to the "rules of session etiquette" and trade off throughout the evening, often doing harmony with two whistles on certain tunes which is fun. When I'm not playing whistle, I'm playing DADGAD guitar. Other whistlers trade off between mando, banjo, pipes, flute, and bodhran. Or they'll often just sit back and listen for a while. And it's always good to let the beginners have a go to get used to playing whistle in a session environment and improve their playing and confidence. I'm fortunate to be in an area where there are many excellent, experienced whistle players. And there are a couple more good whistle players in the area who live farther out and don't make many sessions. So this area is whistle and basically talent-rich.

John McHaffie (long-time C&Fer and whistle maker) just moved into the area and has made a couple sessions, so there's yet another good player who will be a weekly regular. It's good to have him as part of the session group.
Last edited by Ballyshannon on Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Carey
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

Q - What's the definition of a chord?

A - Three whistles playing an A.

Ba-rum-bum!
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Wow. lucky fellow, you are.
braccio

Post by braccio »

It could be because the whistle is easily drowned out in a session. I went to one last week and I couldn't hear the whistler directly across the table from me.

Pete
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Not enough whistles up North?

Whistles crops in Canada have not been able to yield equal to the demand.

Not hardy enough for Northern climate I suppose.

We here in the U.S. are putting technology to work and are developing a GMO whistle that may bridge the gap.

Honestly I think its the soil.

Not enough fertilizer.

As you can see... I tying to solve that problem personally.

:P :D :)
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Carey wrote:Q - What's the definition of a chord?

Ba-rum-bum!
:D
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

fearfaoin wrote:Have you ever tried to play in tune with another whistler? :)
Oh, good. I thought it was just me. I regularly play with a keyboard, guitar, and bass. All I have to do is play towards them. I've only played with other wind instruments a couple of times and had no success coming to a happy medium between us. I hear the folks in marching bands have to learn to do this. I've never been in a marching band.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
synergy

Post by synergy »

Carey wrote:Q - What's the definition of a chord?

Ba-rum-bum!
Ha ha! Yeah, but that wouldn't be a chord, it would be a clash :D
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

There's probably something to perception of whistle as a "lightweight" instrument, though there's nothing inappropriate or immature about a good whistle at a session.

There's no lack of decent whistlers at sessions around here. But most are also accomplished players of other instruments. So it's seldom that more than one (high) whistle plays at a time, by general agreement. It's a guideline I encourage at the session I host, and respect at other sessions. Mostly for aesthetic reasons, with the whistle as a high voice floating above the tune, and more than one marring the effect with too much of a good thing. But two whistles together can be lovely. Tuning and volume can be an issue, but not necessarily. For example, at a session last week myself and another whistler-piper had a go at a few tunes together on our Gens, and it sounded quite nice in the group.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

mutepointe wrote:I've never been in a marching band.
I've been in marching bands. The Boehm system, et al, makes this easier by
regularizing the requirements to play in tune. If you can play one clarinet in
tune on every note, then you can generally play another clarinet in tune on
every note. With simple-system instruments, this seems to be less the case.
One whistle may need more air on A but less on G, another whistle vice-versa.
This makes it possible for two whistlers who do not play every note perfectly
in tune to be horribly out on certain notes, and perfectly together on others.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

I don't know, but around here, whistlers are probably the most common instrument, go figure. Then I think it's tied between bodhrans and fiddles.

To me in any session environment, anything more then 2 whistles at the same time gets on my nerves to be honest, even if they are in tune, it's just too much whistle in my opinion, I think it starts to detract from the rest of the instruments.

These are my findings around my parts.
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.