A Copley in time for the Holidays(now better sound files)

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
theweirdscotsman

Post by theweirdscotsman »

Hey everyone. Sorry to start yet another thread about Copleys :wink:, but I just got mine today! I opened it and was amazed by how great it looked. I played the first note and I was in love. Great response with a good solid feel. I'll try to put up some sound files and/or pictures as I'm able to play it more in the next couple of days.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: theweirdscotsman on 2002-12-25 23:11 ]</font>

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: theweirdscotsman on 2002-12-31 12:56 ]</font>
Whistlin'Dixie
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Whistlin'Dixie »

Congratulations! You'll love it more and more as time goes by..... What a Happy Holiday for you! :smile:
Mary
BillG

Post by BillG »

Congrats and Merry Christmas to you also. I fall into the same category - got mine about a week ago and had the same outstanding first reactions - as a song once said "It Just Keeps Getting Better!" Or was that a line in some movie? Well, anyway, you know what I mean.

BillG
BillG
- - -
<><
Six Ps! (Poor Prior Practice Prevents Proper Performance)
jim_mc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm a New York native who gradually slid west and landed in the Phoenix area. I like riding on the back seat of a tandem bicycle. I like dogs and have three of them. I am a sometime actor and an all the time teacher, husband, and dad.

Post by jim_mc »

I hate Geocities.
Say it loud: B flat and be proud!
kardshark87

Post by kardshark87 »

I still have to wait until May. :sad:

Brent
theweirdscotsman

Hopefully this will work- sorry the lighting in the picture is not that great. Copy and paste them into your browser. It will not work if you click on it. A review's coming soon... http://www.geocities.com/knightsofthround/flute1.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/knightsofthround/flute2.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/knightsofthround/flute3.jpg

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: theweirdscotsman on 2003-01-02 00:10 ]</font>
sturob

Post by sturob »

I just tried the cut-and-paste thing and I got an error message that says you've exceeded your "allocated data transfer."

Is it me?

Stuart
theweirdscotsman

It seems to be working for me. I think, however, that if several people have been to it within a close period of time, geocitices shuts it down for a little while. Let me know if it still doesn't work and I'll try angelfire.com.
sturob

Post by sturob »

Naw, it worked for me this time. I think you're right about GeoCities closing it down; they must be concerned you're hosting a website or somthing.

Is it me, or is that footjoint REALLY long? It looks out-of-proportion to the rest of the flute to me. I've never seen a Copley up close, though. But comparing it to R&R and R&R-style instruments, it's loooooooong. Not that it really matters a whole lot, but it might weaken the bottom end a little.

Purty flute!

Stuart
theweirdscotsman

I havent noticed the foot joing being abnormally long. I compared it to the old m&e that i was borrowing and I was nearly the same size. However, the tone holes are located closer to the middle of the foot while on the mande, they're closer to the end.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: theweirdscotsman on 2002-12-22 14:59 ]</font>
dcopley

Post by dcopley »

On 2002-12-22 13:03, sturob wrote:

Is it me, or is that footjoint REALLY long? It looks out-of-proportion to the rest of the flute to me. I've never seen a Copley up close, though. But comparing it to R&R and R&R-style instruments, it's loooooooong. Not that it really matters a whole lot, but it might weaken the bottom end a little.

Purty flute!

Stuart
Stuart, the foot joint may appear long because of the way it was photographed. I have not been able to pull up the photo to have a look (all I get is a "temporarily unavailable" message from Geocities). I took a look at some Rudall and Rose measurements compiled by Terry McGee, and listed in a spreadsheet available from his web site. The R&R foot joints went from 131 mm long to 153.5 mm long for flutes with a bottom note of "C". There seemed to be a trend of shorter foot joints on later R&R flutes.

I have used two different foot joint designs, with length of either 132 mm or 137 mm. The only difference between the two designs is where the "split" is made between the lower body and the foot. The end of the flute is still in the same position relative to the holes.

By the way, Terry McGee has done a terrific job of assembling and presenting data for Rudall and Rose and other classical flutes.

Dave Copley
Loveland, Ohio
sturob

Post by sturob »

Oh, hey, I didn't mean to be critical, really! I think it's because my own flutes have short-ish footjoints.

And you're right, it might be camera angle as well. I put a flute of mine into a similar pose, actually, and the footjoint grew. Weird, huh?

Stuart
theweirdscotsman

Ok, I made a recording of me playing Crock of Gold and the Abbey Reel. The sound of the flute is bad on the recording because i recorded it into the "sound recorder" that came with windows using a cheapo radio shack mic. The mic makes it really howl in the upper octave. I will get a better recording up soon that will actually show what a great sounding flute it is. I've been playing a little over 3 months.
http://www.geocities.com/tantallontheba ... dabbey.mp3
(copy and paste in browser)
sturob

Post by sturob »

NICE clip!

Thanks for posting it!

But I agree, bad mikes muddy things up quite a bit. I just got a new mike for Christmas and have been playing with it today. A Sony, MS-907 I think. Way cool.

Stuart
theweirdscotsman

Ok. I finally got some slightly better sounding clips done. The one in the above post is recorded with a 25 dollar radio shack mic which I think is wonderful for live playing. I recorded it too hot i guess though. The ones below are done into a 50-60 dollar vocal mic. I will eventually get a good mic for recording, but moneys the problem!! I re-recorded the Crock of Gold and added Crosses of Annagh and the Kilmovee Jig. I'd love to hear what you think about the sound clips:
(copy and paste into browser)
http://www.geocities.com/tantallonband/ ... annagh.mp3
http://www.geocities.com/tantallonband/kilmoveejig.mp3
http://www.geocities.com/tantallonband/crockofgold.mp3