my lagan love

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
sponge
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: irish music, specifically slow airs played on different whistle keys, also lower keyed flutes like Bb, but only from modern makers who have managed to get the hole spacing a little closer. And finally learning some fiddle tunes, mainly slow airs again so that the whole family don't go mad with the sound of a cat being strangled.

my lagan love

Post by sponge »

Hi all,

just back from Minneapolis, on friday, work not pleasure, although I did get a whole hour in a place called the mall of America, now that was big, compared to anything in the UK, I managed to find the whole family a gift so it was worth rushing around, a whole day would probably still be to short to do the lot, anyway I managed to pick up a couple of cd's one was a compelation, with an amazing air called my Lagan love, it has an instrumental with flute and harp for about 2 minutes then the flute stops the harp continues and a singer with a very beautiful voice sings the song.

I have tried to find the notes on the session dot org they have a version in C major, but as I have keyless flute I cant get low enough, does anyone have a version in D, notation or ABC.

Cheers sponge
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

If you get the abc from the session, you can always paste it into a program like Barfly and have it transposed.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Flutered

Post by Flutered »

dup
Last edited by Flutered on Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Flutered

Post by Flutered »

I think it's pretty hard to put airs like My Lagan Love etc. into written notation/ ABC etc. Desi Wilkinson does a lovely solo flute version of this - 1st track on his Shady Woods CD. Just listen to it a good few times and then have a go at it - the basic melody is simple enough, though I think there's a good few F nat notes, so maybe not so easy on a keyless D flute.