your current favorite Flute tunes?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ben Shaffer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

your current favorite Flute tunes?

Post by Ben Shaffer »

Im guessing every Flute Player has a bunch of tunes that they just like to play, that seem to just flow well on the Flute.....often an easy tune, that may or may not even be played at your local sessions.I'm talking about those tunes that you play everyday day in day out and just don't seem to get tired of.
I've got some here I'll list and would really love to hear from other C&F Flute Players about their favorite Tunes. I keep a big list of these Tunes so they'll come to mind when I'm playing. I haven't looked, but I'd guess alot of these Tunes would be in the Session Tune section.
I find all of these Tunes just wonderful to play on the Flute
BenS

Ambrose Moloney
Duke of Leinster
Pile Of Bricks
Lady On The Island
Morning Star
John Egan Reel
Green Fields Of Rosbeigh
Knotted Cord
Mountain Road
Martin Wynne
Jackie Coleman
Milltown Jig
Gone For His Tea
Silver Spire
Boyne Hunt
Camererion
Choice Wife
Glass Of beer
Coal Miner
Tim Maloney
Boy In The Boat
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

here is a set of jigs that I had been wanting to play for years, but as I had only a keyless flute I couldn't. But now with my new Murray flute I began to work on this set that I learned from Cathal McConnell (actually from his CD only, not from the man himself): Scotland-Ireland / The Hangover / The Fermanagh Curves.
I love Cathal, would marry him any day if he would have me :lol:
matahari_1946

Post by matahari_1946 »

I don't know most of those tunes on your list, Mr. Fandango, but you've got some good ones listed there. A few of my flute favorites at the moment, in no particular order:

Gone for His Tea
Maggie's Pancakes (taught to me by Eilam)
The Reconciliation (in G major)
Gravelwalk
The Flogging Reel, cause I love throwing that F natural in the 3rd part :)
Calum Iain (a nice Scottish tune I just learned)
Humors of Tullycrine (in G minor so I can use my lovely keys)
The Golden Castle (also in G minor, I think)
Jenny's Chickens
The Cow That Ate the Blanket

*Edited for spelling mistake :D
~Tiff
Ben Shaffer
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Post by Ben Shaffer »

"I love Cathal, would marry him any day if he would have me"

Claudine,
does he clean bathrooms though? and would he wear those Toe Puppets?:D
BenS
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

well i could still wear the toe puppets myself and move my toes rhythmically while he plays the flute. :P
Wormdiet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Wormdiet »

Heya Ben,

Let's see. . . .

The Ivy Leaf
Ormond Sound
Connaught Heifers
Heathery Breeze
The Merry Harriers
Jenny tie Your Bonnet

Sourced from a combination of tunes picked up in East Durham classes and/or recent CD acquisitions at East Durham.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
Carey
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

I'm just having such a good time with:

Cooley's Hornpipe
Battle of Aughrim
Out on the Ocean
Give Me Your Hand
Croppy Boys March

and played as a set:

Foggy Dew and King of the Faries

There's more I like, but where do you stop listing them?

Could you to post a clip of "Glass of Beer"? That's on my list to learn.
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
eilam

Post by eilam »

Cathal McConnell (actually from his CD only, not from the man himself): Scotland-Ireland / The Hangover / The Fermanagh Curves
i love that set as well.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I've been enjoying playing some hornpipes. Not enough hornpipes are played, in my opinion. Those fiddle players are always horning in with reels reels reels. Not enough slip jigs, either.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Lee Stanford

Post by Lee Stanford »

The Wise Maid/Jenny's Wedding/Phyllis's Wedding

Shliabh Russel/Jimmy Ward's jig

The cat that ate the candle/the banshee

These sets are pretty nice, I think.
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

One's been stuck in my head for a little bit now (the way I learn tunes-like taking in a stray cat-when a tune wanders into my mind, I just go with it), and I'm working it out now; I like it a lot, ever since I heard him play it: Molloy's version of Dunmore Lassies from The Chieftains' Long Black Veil cd.
~~~~
Barry
Ben Shaffer

Post by Ben Shaffer »

I was on the Comhaltas website and was listening to 3 teenagers play Hunters House(#238)
This tune is really nice and the kids did an awesome job! Will I ever play that well? :boggle:
The dots are on the session website, the B part of the tune is a little tricky with a jump from low B to high G back to low b to high A back to low B up to high G again and back again to low B....whew!.... the kids of course play it effortlessly:o
I hope to learn this tune and get admiring looks from people at the next session :D
BenS

by the way, that B part is similiar to the 4th part of Gravel Walks with the high G,then A and back to high G thing, except you are dropping down to the low B in between instead of C like you do in Gravel Walks.
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

My current favourite slow tune - a Welsh air Lliw Lili Ymysg Y Drain - link to one of the video demos I did for Doug Tipple recently. No time now to do a list like some above (some good stuff there!), but a particular favourite reel is The Gooseberry Bush (also on my YouTube page).
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
kenny

Post by kenny »

"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh2Z1JY3h9w

Not that these 'roll off the flute,' but they fascinate
me, especially the first.