Spiritual home...

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
izzarina
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by izzarina »

While this is a picture from a particular place, it's just what I had of the sea. I always feel a sense of peace when I'm there...
Someday, everything is gonna be diff'rent
When I paint my masterpiece.
jkwest
Location: the beautiful, untainted NorCal..yes there is one..

Post by jkwest »

dwest wrote:They put dye in the water ya know :lol:
nah...its that real, you know..

My other solace place is Mendocino...I love that town.

Seems like everywhere I go
The more I see
the less I know-Michael Franti
emmline
antispam: No

Post by emmline »

Tazewell, Virginia. Along a cow path. Near the stream. There would be really huge gray rocks embedded in the hillside.
dwest

Post by dwest »

Burke's Garden, Tazewell co., is very nice, incredible soilImage
missy

Post by missy »

mine doesn't exist anymore.

The area I grew up in was just turning from farming to residential back then. While there were the beginnings of "subdivisions", I didn't live in one. I lived in an area where there was a small "side" street with 10 houses, and houses along the main road. All yards were 2 acres or more. We lived on the corner lot of the main road (our house faced that way) and the side street (our driveway came off of that).

Across the street was Mr. Honerlaw's farm. He raised beef cattle, sheep, pigs, chickens and Belgian horses. He plowed and planted with the horses - but used tractors and combines to harvest.

Two yards away was another farm - this one had cattle and grew crops. We spent many a late summer day playiing among the corn stalks.

At the end of the small side street was a rail road track that had a train run at 6 am and 6 pm. Across the tracks was more farm acreage. Behind that was a wooded area that hadn't been logged for over a hundred years - maybe even some old growth trees. We called it "the woods" and spent hours building tree forts, playing in the small ponds catching snapping turtles and toads and frogs, eating mulberries and wild cherries.

The woods was pretty much destroyed when my "neighborhood" was hit by a tornado in 1974. Of the 20 or so houses that were the neighborhood - ours was the ONLY one left rebuildable, all the others had to be torn down and rebuilt. The farmer two lots away sold the property to a builder, and over 100 houses were put on it. The rail road tracks were torn up in 1978 (Dad and his neighbors used the rail road ties as landscaping timbers). All the other farms EXCEPT for Mr. Honerlaws has been turned into houses on postage stamp sized lots.

I'd like to go back to a day in the 1960's. I'd like to pick some of the apples from our transparent apple tree - what we called cooking apples. I'd like to make necklaces out of the clover growing in the yard (Dad never was one for weed control - too much area to cut). I'd like to have some of the raw honey one of my neighbors collected from his bees. I''d like to watch Mr. Honerlaw drive his team of Belgian horses.

And I'd like to have my kids experience all that - and be able to meet my Dad. He died when I was 4 1/2 months pregnant with Nate, my oldest.
Missy

"When facts are few, experts are many"

http://www.strothers.com
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

missy, great post.
I'd like to go back to a day in the 1960's. I'd like to pick some of the apples from our transparent apple tree - what we called cooking apples. I'd like to make necklaces out of the clover growing in the yard (Dad never was one for weed control - too much area to cut). I'd like to have some of the raw honey one of my neighbors collected from his bees. I''d like to watch Mr. Honerlaw drive his team of Belgian horses.
Yeah. We're on the same page, except for me its the 70's. We had plum trees in the backyard...most of the plums were wormy but if you were careful you could get a good one. I'd like to hear my mom and dad tell the old family stories. I'd love to hear their voices.

It's odd, how some of the happiest memories are also some of the most melancholy.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
djm

Post by djm »

I can't help but feel that one day, the cosmic tumblers will refind their correct and true orientation,
and that I will once more be restored to my rightful place.

djm
Last edited by djm on Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Just about anywhere in the Wind River Mountains would do.

I also really find myself missing Scotland these days, especially the Glen Nevis and Helmsdale areas.

But as Cran said, there's no place like home. My condolences to James and Missy. Be happy those places exist, even if just in your memory. Share those stories with your kids. The ranch my mom grew up on, in the Sangre de Cristo mountains, no longer exists, either. But I still love to hear about it.

We are so lucky in a way, as we help God remake this cow pasture into an orchard. If we do our work well, the best years are still ahead for this peace of land.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

this was taken from behind my house. I'm right next door Em, in the shelter of my mountains-

"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Acadia National Park:

Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

This is all I ever saw of Mt. Shasta, but I had some supernatural and spiritual experiences there, so perhaps that would be a place my spirit would revisit.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
TyroneShoelaces

Re: Spiritual home...

Post by TyroneShoelaces »

Joseph E. Smith wrote:If there is a geographical spot on this planet
where you feel your spirit might flock to, where would that place be?
i don't know where this place is, but my spirit can hear it calling!!! :D :D :D

ever been mugged by a quaker?
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Sure what hears it calling, and wants to flock, is your spirit?
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I could handle this in the afterlife or even this life. Whichever life, it has got to come with butlers and maids. I like my nature a bit cleaned up.

Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦