Fulfilling flute?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
kirikee
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Fulfilling flute?

Post by kirikee »

Hi, I'm a whistle player who would love to try flute.

Which flute have you found the most fulfilling (or the plain best fun!) to learn to play as a beginner? What flute made it happen for you?

All the best...
RudallRose

Post by RudallRose »

i started on a Ralph Sweet $135 special in two sections.
That was 15 years or so ago. (for irish flute that is....been fifing for 42 years)
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Let me be the first of many... Tipple Tipple Tipple!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I second the Tipple, but another option would be the Casey Burns Folk Flute.
O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by O_Gaiteiro_do_Chicago »

I'd say if you have the funds, get a delrin Copley, they are the best bang for the buck in my opinion. I am sure Tipple flutes and dixon flutes are okay but they are not conical bore flutes, so you will not get the same effect. I've had my hands on many of the inexpensive wood and delrin flutes through working at a music store, and i've found my favorites inexpensive to be Copley delrin flutes. I think Dave tends to always have a few of these available. Another inexpensive option if you cannot afford to go the conical bore route, would be to get a Billy Miller bamboo flute. He makes some mighty fine instruments, and they are very reasonable as well.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

The Tipple will get the job done, but the Folk Flute will be truly fulfilling. The beautiful wood, the beautiful smell of the wood (if you get mopane wood anyway), the rich sound, the conical bore shape. Very nice flute worth every penny.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
Il Friscaletto

Post by Il Friscaletto »

If I could do it again, I would go straight for a wooden flute. My first flute was a Seery delrin, which is a fantastic flute, but I found myself quickly desiring the warmth of a wooden flute. Not so much in the tone, but in the feel.
SteveB
Tell us something.: I am a flute player. I play ITM pretty much exclusively. Like to browse and occasionally post on flute related discussions

Post by SteveB »

Ditto. As a learning hack (as my posted clips attest to), I’m in no position to recommend to a beginner which flute to buy. However, whenever I’ve heard this question posed to a good flute players/tutor, they almost invariably advise that the most direct path to “fulfillment” is to get a proper wooden flute from a respected maker right from day one. Living in Ireland, you have a raft of good makers (eg. Hammy Hamilton, Sam Murray, Glenn Watson, Martin Doyle, et al) right in your own backyard from which to choose.
ChrisCracknell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by ChrisCracknell »

Just want to underline the good value of the folk flute - mine is the two piecce in Mopane. Unbelievable value for money. You won't be disappointed.
eedbjp
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Post by eedbjp »

I have found the Tipple to be a satisfying flute to play, especially when I first started out. It's also cool when people are so pleasantly surprised that a pvc flute can produce such a wonderful sound.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds-Emerson
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I'd second the Copley or Folk flute if you can swing the dough. THe Tipple or Hammy practice flute if you can't. All are great instruments for their price point.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Chiffed

Post by Chiffed »

Hey, if you've got the dough, go with something traditional and beautiful (if you like traditional and beautiful). On the other hand, PVC flutes are a ridiculous amount of fun for the price, Hammy's practice flute sounds great and is an audacious bit of engineering, and FF's are highly praised by folks who play a lot better than me. Just as long as you have fun, be patient with yourself, and listen to great players.
I wouldn't sweat the choice too much - fulfillment is in the music and the friends.
Happily tooting when my dogs let me.
jim stone

Re: Fulfilling flute?

Post by jim stone »

kirikee wrote:Hi, I'm a whistle player who would love to try flute.

Which flute have you found the most fulfilling (or the plain best fun!) to learn to play as a beginner? What flute made it happen for you?

All the best...
If you got the bucks get something good. It will satisfy
you for a long time, maybe for the rest of your life,
and you can sell it if/ever you
move on and maybe even make money.
Prices keep going up.

The Martin Doyle flutes are great for beginners
and pros play them too.
kirikee

Post by kirikee »

Thank you all for responding! Perhaps “fulfilling” sounds a bit pretentious, but I’m interested in what you have found rewarding. I’m enjoying this business of looking for a flute, and this board is an invaluable and fun guide.

The feel of a wood flute appeals. I recently made my first attempt at fluting in a music shop. I tried a wooden Dixon & a De Keyser (heftier than the Dixon, with an easier stretch, it rewarded this novice with a clear low D – fun!). I liked them, but a polymer might be a better fit now. It would be nice to have a flute that I can leave assembled for a tootle, much like a whistle. (And it might be more toddler-proof.)

This steers me to Copley and Tipple, and nearer home to M&E and Seery. I notice Seerys don’t often get recommended for novices on these pages. (Though I’m tempted to visit his workshop – he seems a card!)

How does an M&E compare with a Copley Delrin? (I’ll resist asking “How do M&Ms compare with Delrin?”) I know Copley flutes get great reviews on this board.

Cheers!
Henke

Post by Henke »

I don't know why Seery flutes don't get recomended. From my experience they have a larger sweet spot (easier embouchure) than an M&E, but the M&E sound better IMO (fatter, sweeter and woodier sound than the Seery). Perhaps there's the notion that the Seery takes lots of air to fill because it's a Pratten, but the difference to the M&E in that department seems very slim.
I have not played a Copley, but Dave Copley is a top notch maker, I would imagine he finishes his instruments slightly better than Michael (M&E) does. The obvious disadvantage of Copley delrin is that it's a budget version of a top notch flute, it lacks a tuning slide and possibility to retrofit keys, like a delrin version of the Burns FF. The M&E is a "full on" irish flute, and in my honest opinion, it's as good as most of us will ever need, it holds it's own against pretty much any flute out there.

Just my 2 cl of
whisky :party: