Sources for beginning level tunes

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Leluka
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Leluka »

I am starting out learning using Play Pennywhistle. Each new priciple is introduced with a new tune/bit of a tune, but there are no other "entry level" tunes. Can anyone point me to some basic tunes that a beginner might enjoy practicing with?
May it be shadows call
Will fly away
May it be your journey on
To light the day
When the night is overcome
You may rise to find the sun
meir

Post by meir »

the answer will depend in part on how you are learning. do you have experience with other instruments? are you ready to learn simple tunes by ear rather than with music? do you have the scale down up to high b?

meir
Leluka

Post by Leluka »

This is my first instrument. As for learning by ear, I don't know if I can do that. I am listening to as much as I can to get more familiar with the insrument. I more or less (Read less) have both octaves "down."
May it be shadows call
Will fly away
May it be your journey on
To light the day
When the night is overcome
You may rise to find the sun
dlambert

Post by dlambert »

101 Irish Session Tunes by LE McCullough. It comes with a book of the tunes and 4 CDs with each tune played twice. Once slowly without ornamentation and then again a little faster with ornamentation.

The only knock I have on the package is sometimes I don't care for the backup track and also LE's playing style is very distinctive and full of slides (which I think should be used sparingly) and rolls (which can be over done at times).

The great thing about it is that you are going to learn tunes that other people know and the settings of the tunes he provides are really pretty good.

heres the link

http://www.homespuntapes.com/catagory/d ... 17&ctype=i
Redwolf
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Redwolf »

One book that is full of really nice, easy, tunes for beginners is Robin Williamson's "The Pennywhistle Book." I haven't seen it in any music shops recently (live or on-line), but I know it's available from Amazon.com because I recently ordered a replacement copy from there. It's full of tunes that are easy enough for beginners, and fun/pretty enough to make playing FUN for beginners (i.e., it's not "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and the like). The only downside I can think of is that the tunes aren't exclusively, or even predominately, Irish...there are a great many from England, Scotland, Wales and the U.S. (there are Irish tunes in there too, of course, but they don't predominate as they often do in whistle tunebooks). If Irish music is your passion, or your primary reason for learning the whistle, this book may not be your cup of tea, but if you're just looking for some lovely beginner's tunes, it's great.

[edited to add this note]: I just did a search at Amazon.com and discovered that it's out of print, but that used copies are available at good prices. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure my replacement copy is a used one. Anyway, here's a link, if you want to check it out:

<A HREF="http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/st ... 05732">The Penny Whistle Book at Amazon.com</A>

Redwolf

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Redwolf on 2002-12-21 13:47 ]</font>
Wizzer

Post by Wizzer »

[quote]
On 2002-12-21 12:43, Leluka wrote:
I am starting out learning using Play Pennywhistle. Each new priciple is introduced with a new tune/bit of a tune, but there are no other "entry level" tunes. Can anyone point me to some basic tunes that a beginner might enjoy practicing with?

Most tutorials for the tin whistle are written for musicians. The only books to look for as a beginner musician are those by Bill Ochs. He has the written notation and If you get the ones with the cd he will walk your thru the basics and you will not be discouraged.
He starts with simple tunes and you learn to play the whistle before you jump into all kinds of crazy ornamentation. Learn and become proficient at the basics and not the short cuts if you would like to be a good player some day.
You can reach him at http://www.pennywhistle.com/ he does answer E-mails. Bill makes his living by teaching. Thru years of teaching students he has developed the best methods for teaching new musicians. You can not go wrong with his material. E-mail him tell him of your experience and he will advise you on the best route to take.
E = Fb

Post by E = Fb »

Go to JC's Tune Finder. It's on the Internet at:
http://trillian.mit.edu/~jc/music/abc/findtune.html

Here are some good tunes:
Brigit O'Malley
Below Jig
Broken Pledge
Amazing Grace
Lilting banshee
Siobhan Ni Dhuibhir

And I'm sure others can add some.

Tom
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

I would recommend buying the Clarke set with the whistle, book by Ochs, and CD.

Even if you don't want the whistle, the book and CD set are really what I'd recommend.

Best wishes and good luck!

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
Leluka

Post by Leluka »

Thanks for the info. I love the internet, there is no way I could find this information or these products locally.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

Leluka, don't be so sure you can't get this stuff in Dallas. Okay, its been some years, but check out Olla Podrida (if you tell me its gone I may be heartbroken) which was near....um....Coit and LBJ I think...near Ross Perot's place. There was a folk music store there that could direct you to nearly anything back when I was in Dallas.

I remember an active folk/Irish/contra scene, and plenty of places to find the music.

The best way to learn it is to play it. There was a monthly 'hoot', a hammered and mountain dulcimer society, and an active Irish American club. They're great places to find people to play music with...and they do like beginners and will do everything in their power to help you along.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Leluka

Post by Leluka »

It isn't so much that I don't think it is here but that I don't think that I could find it.