Who likes books?

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
dwest

Post by dwest »

Jack wrote:
Walden wrote:
djm wrote:I don't know which is more pathetic, the libraries or the librarians who stand jealous guard over them.
It's a conspiracy.
Naturally.

P.S. Got a book to sell? :D
Can't tell you that, all mine are undercover. :lol: OK, they're all booked-up.
mamakash
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mamakash »

Innocent Bystander wrote:Fair enough, Walden, but I know a few people who do not read. At least, not for pleasure. They read road-signs and thumb through newspapers and magazines, but when confronted with a book their reaction is "Ugh!".
I used to chat with a young fellow at my job who's nose was constantly in a book and I'd always want to know what he was reading. However, he'd inevitably ask me the same question, to which I had no reply. Eventually, he got bored and probably thought I was an idiot.
He did, however, lend me "Clockwork Orange", which I thoroughly enjoyed and I was amazed how much fun it was to read. The movie he lent me as well, but it didn't live up the the book. And Kubrick . . . Yikes!

And while I think of myself as an intelligent person, I don't like to curl up on the sofa and read. I don't mind reading to learn something but I can't get into fiction. I don't think I was this way as a kid . . . I remember sitting in the gym on a non-PE class and reading while the kids chatted loudly. The din was incredible. I used to be able to block it out all that external noise. Now I can't even read with music on.

Reading takes a certain amount of concentration and most of that goes into my daily life, so I have little left over for reading. Modern fiction is ghastly . . . I remember getting a discarded paperback by Patricia Cornwell. Interesting at first, but then she's explaining the details of a meal and the lives of the character and getting so off the track and stalling the story. All to fill a book and say, oh what a clever writer I am!

I haven't even finished the Harry Potter series . . . I find I get annoyed with the constant explanations of basic terms she's been using since the first novel.
Maybe Clockwork Orange is a challenge to understand . . . which makes at all the more interesting to figure out.
I sing the birdie tune
It makes the birdies swoon
It sends them to the moon
Just like a big balloon
Walden
Chiffmaster General
antispam: No

Post by Walden »

Jack wrote:
Walden wrote:
djm wrote:I don't know which is more pathetic, the libraries or the librarians who stand jealous guard over them.
It's a conspiracy.
Naturally.

P.S. Got a book to sell? :D
You know it!!
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Walden wrote:It's a conspiracy.
No, it is just my experiences with local public libraries. I would like to be able to go into a library and find an assortment of books on the topic I'm interested in. I get more choice in a bookstore, and an even better idea of what's available from amazon.com. Our libraries here seem to be set up to say that they exist, rather than to actually serve a purpose.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

Clearly you have not yet read my soon-to-be best-seller.
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

I don't go to the library much because most books wind up in my husband's used book store faster than the library gets them.

You have to show proof that you live in the city to get a city library card. I think this is because it's funded by tax dollars and they don't want people who aren't paying city taxes to use their facilities.

The downtown library doesn't have a great selection, but it has a great view of the Spokane Falls. :)
Charlene
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I am trying to read John LeCarre's 'Russia House' and I'm just not getting into it. A while back I also started 'Single and Single' and ended up puttiinig it down. I've read LeCarre before so what is it with those books?

I also just finished 'Water for Elephants' which is a good read.

Speaking of that, anyone on Goodreads.com? You can be my friend. I'm fjsharpjr(at)gmail.com
FJohnSharp
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

Our libraries here in NE Ohio are pretty good. Plus I live at the intersection of three counties and I can get cards for each, search them online, and pick up ordered books no more than 20 minutes away in any direction. Also, Ohio has a statewide library search system and participating libraries can borrow book from anywhere.

Disclaimer: I am on the local Library Trust, a non profit org that oversees our town's library.
carrie

Post by carrie »

I much prefer reading a library book over a book from B&N or Borders. The recycler in me feels good about not consuming unnecessarily, and the community lover in me feels connected to everyone else who has read that very book. I like the feel of pages that have been turned many times.

But I too HATE the telephone book. The only thing that happens with telephone books here is that they have to get schlepped out to recycling--they are otherwise not touched. We google everything and are never disappointed.

All I can say about Walden's forthcoming book is that if it's like his earlier ones, we are all in for a treat. I'd be hard pressed to pick a favorite, but I suppose Raiders of the Lost Ocarina would have to be way up there, if for no other reason than his gentle fun-poking at some of the more prominent C&F personalities ("no resemblance to any person living or dead" --yeah, right, Walden!).
/cf
dubhlinn

Post by dubhlinn »

I'm a Library fan meself.

I go about once a week and grab two or three fictions..gets me through the night shift with ease and comfort.

Last week I was busy and forgot to go to the Library so I broke out my copy of Annie Proulxs "The Shipping News"again. Must have been my fourth time through it. The last paragraph just kills me like both barrels of a sawn-off shotgun to the heart..no good in grabbing a copy and turning to the end..ye gotta start at the start and take the journey through it all.

Worth the trip, trust me.

Slan,
D. :D
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
emmline

Post by emmline »

dubhlinn wrote: The last paragraph just kills me like both barrels of a sawn-off shotgun to the heart...
This does not make me want to read it! Nice and evocative though.

I'm a book group drop-out. I could use the social activity, but I found myself, increasingly, just not wanting to read the chosen books--mostly recent vintage popular fiction.

I have, at times, loved fiction, but it takes a certain type of energy and motivation for me to commit myself to entering the world of someone else's problems...and mostly I don't seem to want to.

Instead I'm either reading purely for entertainment (e.g. Bill Bryson) or to try to catch up on something I neglected to learn when I should have. (Currently, The Discoverers by Dan Boorstin.)
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'm one who likes books but doesn't go to the library. I read too slowly, and the last few times I got a book from the library it had to go back before I was finished. My wife does the library thing, especially for our daughter. She once came home with 30 books and I think between the two of us we read over 20 to the kid in one sitting.
Last edited by chas on Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

I do, I generally read Fantasy novels. I haven't been reading much as of late it isn't like I don't have the time I just haven't felt like it.
Walden
Chiffmaster General

Post by Walden »

chas wrote:I read too slowly, and the last few times I got a book from the library it had to go back before I was finished.
If your local library is like the one here all you have to do is call the library (the number's in the telephone book) and tell the librarian you want to recheck it.
emmline

Post by emmline »

Walden wrote:
chas wrote:I read too slowly, and the last few times I got a book from the library it had to go back before I was finished.
If your local library is like the one here all you have to do is call the library (the number's in the telephone book) and tell the librarian you want to recheck it.
Here you can renew online as well.