Beginner's repertoire

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
synergy

Beginner's repertoire

Post by synergy »

Hello everyone. Please forgive my many posts, I guess the ambition bug has got me. I'm looking for recommendations to build a beginner's repertoire. Something more than one or two line snippet exercises but still managable for a beginner to begin with. Any tune ideas? Maybe there's a book available with something just like this in mind? Thanks.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

A good start is to go to the session web site here

http://www.thesession.org/members/

Click on Tunebook. That will give you a list of the most popular tunes. They won't be in order of easiest first, but if you learn popular tunes you might stand a chance of learning something that is played in a session in your area.

There isn't always audio with these tunes, however. So you'll either have to use the notation or go try and find some audio elsewhere.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
synergy

Post by synergy »

sbfluter wrote:A good start is to go to the session web site here

http://www.thesession.org/members/

Click on Tunebook. That will give you a list of the most popular tunes. They won't be in order of easiest first, but if you learn popular tunes you might stand a chance of learning something that is played in a session in your area.

There isn't always audio with these tunes, however. So you'll either have to use the notation or go try and find some audio elsewhere.
Thanks Diane. The area I live in doesn't sponsor too many sessions (pretty much none:)) so that's not really important to me right now. I would rather focus on solo tunes for the time being. I'll check out the link and see if there are any beginner's tunes I can find there.
walrii
antispam: No

Post by walrii »

Go to one of the on-line sites that sell whistles and tutorials. There are a number good tutorials with sheet music and a CD so you can hear the tunes as well as figure out how to play them. Bill Ochs "The Clarke Tin Whistle" and Clare McKenna's "The Irish Tin Whistle" are both good. "Ireland's 110 Best Tin Whistle Tunes" is a decent collection of tunes, divided into sections by difficulty. All three books come with a CD. There others book/CD combinations available and I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

synergy wrote:Thanks Diane. The area I live in doesn't sponsor too many sessions (pretty much none:)) so that's not really important to me right now. I would rather focus on solo tunes for the time being.
I think maybe you misunderstood Diane's suggestion, and it's a good one.

Go to www.thesession.org and click on Members, then click on the Tunebook tab. You'll get a list of the most popular tunes added to members' tunebooks, in order of popularity, 20 per page. The first few pages are all very common, "must-know" tunes for any whistle player, solo or otherwise. Click on a tune link to go to the page for that tune, with music notation and comments.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
synergy

Post by synergy »

Thanks everyone, I'll look at those. I already have the Bill Och's, just not the CD with it. I'll check out the others.

Thanks MTGuru, I did misunderstand. I'll be sure to hop over there.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

There are probably half a dozen threads on this too so if you run a search of the site and do some sifting, you'll find them.

IMO, polkas are the easiest tune type. To get you started, try Ballydesmond #2 and Egan's Polka.

Also, disregard anyone who recommends Irish Washerwoman as a beginner tune.
Anita's Dad
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Anita's Dad »

Here's a GREAT resource for beginners:

http://toraigh.com/slowsessions/

This are put together by Bob Midden of the band Toraigh.
Bob Midden comes by every year. He is a great guy and an extremely good whistle player, so I try to keep him playing as long as possible, because people stop and listen to him.
-Mike Burke
synergy

Post by synergy »

Anita's Dad wrote:Here's a GREAT resource for beginners:

http://toraigh.com/slowsessions/

This are put together by Bob Midden of the band Toraigh.
Bob Midden comes by every year. He is a great guy and an extremely good whistle player, so I try to keep him playing as long as possible, because people stop and listen to him.
-Mike Burke
I never knew they existed there! I'm located near Columbus (only about 1.5 hrs. away). Now, if they only had the sheet music posted on that site as well, it would sure help . . . Is there another link to the sheet music somewhere that you know of?