Hi everyone

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
West
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Hi everyone

Post by West »

Hi everyone. New member and noob whistle player here.

I've been a musician for about 20 years (guitar player originally, but I also sing and play bass, mandolin and keys), but recently I've become sort of fed up with the instruments I play. I felt I needed a new challenge. So, as I like traditional music in general and the so-called Celtic variety in particular, I decided to pick up the tin whistle. I'd heard a lot about how easy it is to get started with, but even so, I was surprised what a welcoming little instrument it was. Having a musical backround helps I suppose -- already possessing some basic finger dexterity etc -- but I've never touched a wind instrument before in my life. I was expecting it to be a tougher transition.

I've been playing for about a month now, and while I'm not good at it by any stretch of the imagination I think I've made some fair progress. Still making lots of squeaky noises occasionally, still having to think a lot about where to put my fingers, but I'm getting there. I have no aspirations of becoming a virtuoso, though, I'm happy if I can get proficient enough to add some pretty whistle stuff to my own tunes.

At this point I have three whistles, all of them Clarkes -- an Original (D), a Celtic (D) and a Sweetone (C) -- and I have a suspicion I will be purchasing even more before long. My fave so far is the Celtic, as it is the easiest to play and best sounding of the three, but the Original is also quite nice. I'm not as fond of the Sweetone, as it was closer to a C# whistle when I got it, and I had to move the mouthpiece so far back to tune it that it's close to falling off the body of the whistle. As for what my next purchase will be, I'm not sure. A new C whistle from some other maker maybe, or possibly an E whistle. We'll see.

Anyway, sorry for the lengthy post but as I'll probably be hanging around here quite a bit, pestering you with questions about whistle playing, ITM and related matters, I might as well introduce myself properly. :)
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Welcome. At some point, you won't be able to make that squeaky squawky noise even if you try. Are you teaching yourself? I accidently taught myself how to play left-handed.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
West

Post by West »

mutepointe wrote:Are you teaching yourself?
Yeah, I'm teaching myself with the help of various online tutorials and vids. Plus of course playing along with songs and doing a lot of random noodling (driving both my wife and the cats nuts in the process). That is really my preferred way of learning an instrument. Besides, I don't think I could find someone to teach me even if I wanted to. I'm from Sweden, a country that's not exactly crawling with whistle players :)
synergy

Post by synergy »

Welcome West! I'm much like you in that I too am a guitar player who just started learning the whistle a little while back. The Clarkes you have are nice whistles as I have the same too. Funny thing is my Celtic is my fav at the momement too. The Celtic is essentially the same whistle as the Sweetone, just a different finish.

What tutor are you using? I, and many others, found the Bill Och's to be one of the best:

http://www.clarke-tin-whistle.com/teaching.html

It also is distributed by Clarke so it will go with your whistles nicely:)
West

Post by West »

synergy wrote:Funny thing is my Celtic is my fav at the momement too. The Celtic is essentially the same whistle as the Sweetone, just a different finish.
Yeah, I really don't know what the point of the Celtic is; as you say it's a Sweetone with a different finish. If you paint something green, it's suddenly Celtic? :D

My C Sweetone is not lacquered though, it has this plain metal finish. I chose it because it looks a whole lot better than the horrid colored Sweetones, but I actually found that it's less comfortable to play due to this. The edges of the holes are sort of rough and unpleasant, as is the seam at the back. Nothing that can't be fixed with a bit of work I suppose. The lacquer on the Celtic smooths out some of these rough edges, which is why I like it better.
synergy wrote:What tutor are you using? I, and many others, found the Bill Och's to be one of the best:

http://www.clarke-tin-whistle.com/teaching.html

It also is distributed by Clarke so it will go with your whistles nicely:)
I don't have any books at all actually, so far I've been relying solely on material available on the net -- of which there is quite a bit. From the top of my head, Ryans Duns' youtube videos have been quite helpful, but I also have a whole slew of bookmarks with other whistle resources. I might pick up a book some day though. Is it worth it? I mean... what's in the books that's not available on the internet?
synergy

Post by synergy »

West wrote:Is it worth it? I mean... what's in the books that's not available on the internet?
Well, as you stated, there is alot of resources on the net and some very good ones at that. I'm sure you will learn alot that way, and some times it is easiest learned by watching someone actually playing it rather than just reading the notation and words.

About the book - IMO, it is very well worth the cost for this tutor. I like using a complete tutor because it progresses in a certain manner that is easy to learn. You know, one needs to learn how to walk before they can run. By using a single tutor you will be guided in steps so as not to try something too difficult before learning and knowing the basics. I mean, what if a player learned to play nothing but firey fast reels and jigs, and when it came time to play a nice slow haunting air, well, they couldn't do it because all they know are the firey fast reels and jigs.

I'm sure there are some good complete step by step tutors online and you probably have already found some.
Tia

Post by Tia »

I never really used a book, I have one but used it mostly just for songs, I've learned from listening and this wonderful forum has helped alot
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
West

Post by West »

Oh, I should perhaps mention that I don't read music, so if those tutors use standard muscial notation they would be of no use to me anyway :)
Trying is the first step towards failure -- Homer Simpson
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Welcome to the madness! :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
West

Post by West »

Thanks for the welcome guys!
synergy

Post by synergy »

West wrote:Oh, I should perhaps mention that I don't read music, so if those tutors use standard muscial notation they would be of no use to me anyway :)
Some books use the whistle diagrams under the notes but some don't just the same.
CrazedHavoc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by CrazedHavoc »

Welcome!!! :D
"The death of beauty is just not possible even amongst all of the ugliness that is and can be."
ahogrelius
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Post by ahogrelius »

West wrote:I'm from Sweden, a country that's not exactly crawling with whistle players :)
Nåja, det finns nog en och annan här också... :D

Välkommen till Chiff & Fipples galna värld...

Anders
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
West

Post by West »

ahogrelius wrote:Nåja, det finns nog en och annan här också... :D

Välkommen till Chiff & Fipples galna värld...

Anders
Haha, där ser man! :D

Tack Anders.
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Og en velkommen fra Norge :D