OK - I give up! What does NYAH mean?

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
Leel
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Hi All - I am a Celtic music performer with a band called Beyond the Heather, located in the Lawrence, KS/Kansas City area. I sing, play whistles, SSP and bodharan. I've been a C&F member since 2003 but haven't posted much recently.

OK - I give up! What does NYAH mean?

Post by Leel »

Hello All - I have seen the term "nyah" bandied about in several threads.

I get the general sense that it means something to the effect of the "feel" or "aire" of the music being played.

But, I've done a search on the forums and even gone to several on-line celtic language translators and have yet to find anything definitive on the subject.

Help appreciated.

LEE
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Not necessarily so easy to define as demontrate.

Plenty of "nyah" here, especially in the first tune:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-uhowyUuqE
Last edited by Nanohedron on Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
Baglady
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Baglady »

It means talent.
Baglady
Put the music under thier feet and lift them to the dance.
Oh, and,
"If you want to play chords, use standard tuning. It is better." --Martin Carthy
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

Baglady wrote:It means talent.
Actually, no, it doesn't. It's a quality in the playing. When some one says "s/he's got (the) nyaah", what's being referred to is not talent per se, although no doubt talent will play its part.

More "nyah":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-cmK0WX ... re=related
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
djm

Post by djm »

It is more a style of playing, the "lift", "lilt" or "swing" (choose your favourite adjective) that sets Irish trad music apart from others, gives it life, sets the room to dancing, makes you want to jump up out of your wheelchair, regrow your hair, etc.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

The trad equivalent of "soul" or "groove" in jazz or blues, that comes out in the "lift" and spirit of one's playing.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

That gutsy upsliding into a note has a lot to do with it, too. Also, really digging in to a note for sonority.

Take my diddly of "Farewell to Erin", for example:

NYAAH de Dum deedle Diddly-idle eedle-idle NYAAH de Dum diddly Up-a-dydle eedle um.

Like that. :wink:

Can a banjo have "nyah" at all? :wink:
Denny

Post by Denny »

'bout as much as cow bell :D
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

Heh. Although on further reflection, I must say that I once heard a kitchen recording of a woman playing a reel on banjo that came pretty darned close to the "nyah" factor. It was dark, deliberate, inexorable, and, surprising to me, full of emotion. Sheer mastery. I'd never heard a banjo played quite so...um...thoroughly, before. Quite the eye-opener, it was.

So yeah, in the right hands, I'd say it's possible.
Sandy

Post by Sandy »

I saw this term being used by Paddy Moloney in annotations to Chieftains' 5th (?) album, describing some Derek Bell's ornamentations in "Tiompan Reel"
When you'll get your nyah, i think, you'll notice it=))
mukade

Post by mukade »

Nyah is notes that make you stretch your neck when playing or listening - bending notes or perfect phrasing. Key or mode changes also give a lot of nyah.

In my book, Tiarnan Ó Duinnchinn has to be the current king of nyah.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8blbyNHg ... re=related :D

Mukade
'The people who play the flat pipes usually have more peace of mind. I like that.'
- Tony Mcmahon
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

MTGuru wrote:The trad equivalent of "soul" or "groove" in jazz or blues, that comes out in the "lift" and spirit of one's playing.
Or "duende" in Flamenco, "sodade" in Fado, etc.

~~

Literally, it's an onomatepoeic term for sliding into a note; one of many ways that ITM has of accentuating important notes. Figuratively, it's a term describing the property of music (or the player) in which the important notes have been identified and accentuated correctly, adding immensely to the emotional impact of the preformance.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

s1m0n wrote:Literally, it's an onomatepoeic term for sliding into a note; one of many ways that ITM has of accentuating important notes. Figuratively, it's a term describing the property of music (or the player) in which the important notes have been identified and accentuated correctly, adding immensely to the emotional impact of the preformance.
Yep. Well put. Thanks. I also think Mukade's mention of key changes contributing to "nyah" has merit, too. Also, "odd" notes, such as the Fnat as often played in An Buachaill Dreoite, have the potential for "nyah", but it's all in the playing. A MIDI file won't have it even if the notes are there.

It's not just one thing. But when you hear it, you know it.
Last edited by Nanohedron on Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cathy Wilde

Post by Cathy Wilde »

"NYAH" = the opposite of "BLAH."
Deja Fu: The sense that somewhere, somehow, you've been kicked in the head exactly like this before.