Transcription updates

For all instruments -- please read F.A.Q. before posting.
StevieJ
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

We have a new contributor! Teri Kessler makes her first foray into the murky world of transcriptions, and chooses a challenging piece for the purpose - a slow air, <a href="http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... innet.html" target="_blank">The green linnet played by Brid Donohue</a>.

The index of transcriptions is at http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... netoc.html.

Rather than start a new topic each time a transcription comes on line, I'll keep adding to this one.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

On 2002-12-05 07:24, StevieJ wrote:
Rather than start a new topic each time a transcription comes on line, I'll keep adding to this one.
I hope I may still be permitted to say here that I just love the transcription! Phantastic job! Just now, listening and reading along, I was realizing how the flavor and feel of each ornament depends on the phrase and the note: cut X doesn't necessarily sound like cut Y.

Thanks, Teri.
/Bloomfield
Teri-K
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Teri-K »

My pleasure! May I offer my thanks to Peter for supplying the recording, the input from you all, and Ms. Donohue for such wonderful playing.

Teri
kevin m.

Post by kevin m. »

Thanks from me for your hard work on the transcription Teri.Brid's playing is lovely-another drop of the pure stuff-i could listen to her all day!Thanks for sharing this with us Peter.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Just to let you knw there's some stuff in the pipeline, I wrote two more flutepieces, The Traveller played by Packie Duignan and Christmas Eve by Eddie Moloney. Sylvain Maillot did a fine job writing Rolling in the Ryegrass from another Micho Russell clip I sent him, only he left it to me to write a comment, hence the delay. Teri is tearign away at a Paddy Carty tune.
Steve is busy meanwhile so we are working on a strategy to get things posted quickly without dropping the workload on him. Watch this space for news.
Teri-K

Post by Teri-K »

In keeping with the season, Peter has transcribed and done commentary for the reel, Christmas Eve, played on flute by Eddie Moloney.

Enjoy!
http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... ASEVE.html

Merry or Happy Christmas, Yule, Solstice, and all other PC wishes.

Teri
StevieJ
Tell us something.: Old hand, active in the early 2000s. Less active in recent years but still lurking from time to time.

Post by StevieJ »

Another clip of flute playing to listen to, recording and transcription supplied by Peter: <a href="http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... ml">Packie Duignan playing The Traveller</a>.

Many thanks to Teri for preparing the files for posting (i.e. doing the html grunt work) on this and the last one.

More coming soon, folks.
carrie

Post by carrie »

Thanks for this new transcription and recording. And thanks too for that great description of the photograph, Peter.

I was hoping, Peter, that you might expand on this sentence, from your commentary:

"His take on the second part of the tune is quite a personal one."

I would so like to have a better understanding of how a player makes a tune his or her own.

Thanks,
Carol
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I was very brief in my comment because I couldn't really put down on paper what was goign on. Compare the second part to the playing of anybody else, take the Bothy Band version which is pretty much standard, you'll see that Duignan approaches the rhytmic structure of the part quite differently.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2002-12-18 03:02 ]</font>
SylvainM

Post by SylvainM »

What strikes me in the second part is the octave changes. For instance, you'd expect something like g2dg Bgdg in bars 1, 3, 5 of that part.
Here bars 1 and 5 are played with two lowered Gs; by contrast bar 3 is played with a raised B.

Sylvain
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

I find the changes make the tune much easier to play. Hopping back from the low octave to that high G is a real pain on the whistle....
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I think his approach is different from the usual when he seems to start his second part in the last bar of the first part with dg rather than on the G roll in bar 9, giving the dg more weight than just using it as a up-beat. This gives the tune a different ‘question-answer’ ‘statement-response’ game. You get dg ~g2 echoed by dGBG and that whole things gets dg ~g2bg {b}ag in response. Starting this part this way he builds his question-response thing on that in a way effectively shifting the whole thing backward a bit and consequently changing the melody to build phrases to suit that structure, ending up going through it different from the standard.
Or maybe that's just what I make of it.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Peter Laban on 2002-12-19 05:14 ]</font>
carrie

Post by carrie »

Thanks to all who offered an elaboration. Very helpful!

Carol
StevieJ

Post by StevieJ »

More Micho now, this time transcribed by Sylvain Maillot, with somewhat uninformed comments by me.

http://www.rogermillington.com/siamsa/b ... micho.html

Coming soon: Syvlain has also transcribed a nice version of Johnny Cope played by one Margaret Barry (not the banjo-plunking ballad singer), which should be up before Christmas.
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Post by Nanohedron »

Great work! And great choices, too. It was a real pleasure to finally hear the playing of Packie Duignan and Patsy Hanley. Pretty much makes mock of any antigeezer sentiment in my book (but then, I haven't finished coloring in all the pages yet). "The Green Linnet" had me mesmerised. Must've replayed that one 4 times before moving on, and felt the need of a cigarette after it was all over. :wink:
---N, basking in the afterglow