Froment vs Rogge chanter; which one to pick

A forum about Uilleann (Irish) pipes and the surly people who play them.
Uilliam
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Uilliam »

John why are ye being such a prick?
The topic and question was specific to Froment and Rogge then ye chime in and introduce the whole pipemaker market and their auntie.
Ye know full well there are crap makers as well as good but that was not the issue here as neither of the above come into that category.
Your advice is not novel but is generally accepted,however most people wanting a chanter may not have the opportunity to try many different chanters and how many chanters have the original reeds in them?
Ye are reasonably sure of a good chanter frae a premium maker.
Anyways it seems that destiny has answered the original question with one contender left.
I have asked ye afore and ye have ignored the request so for the final time, I do not find your use of the term Billy funny.
It is, as well ye know,fraught wi historical and hysterical connotations where I come frae and members of my family have been murdered,so I fail to compliment your wit.
If ye cannot or will not desist frae this type of insult then perhaps this forum and this instrument is not for ye.
My Name is not Ulleam but Uilliam it is Liam for short not Billy...
ye are being either infantile,likened to a wain name calling in the playground, or ye are being truly insulting on the darker side which is it?
So for the last time please I ask ye to shew a little respect,or is that too much for ye to do?
Slán Agat
Uilliam
If ye are intersted in helping our cause to cure leprosy feel free to PM me.
nemethmik

Post by nemethmik »

Jeff Cullen wrote:she said the Froment chanter has been sold.
Holly plumtree!
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

And I well remember the days people told me I was crazy to pay £1400 for a Wooff set Image

And that was years after Breandan Breathnach's article in An Piobaire, giving out the 'unthinkable had arrived in Ireland, a millennium' a full set had been offered for £1000, by Bruce du Ve. (I bought my first full set around the same time for £600, which was a high average).
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

Here's from 1984 issue of An Píobaire.

Alain G. Froment
Practice Set £300
Half Set £600
Full Set £1,300

"Delivery time is exceptionally short, two weeks for a practice set, six weeks for a full set."
billh

Post by billh »

misterpatrick wrote:Here's from 1984 issue of An Píobaire.

Alain G. Froment
Practice Set £300
Half Set £600
Full Set £1,300

"Delivery time is exceptionally short, two weeks for a practice set, six weeks for a full set."
£1,300 = 1650 euro;

in 1984 a (Dublin) pint cost 1.48, it's now more than 4 euro.

So this was about 1110 pints of stout; a relative bargain, but then again Alain was just starting out at the time. 1110 Dublin pints is about 5 grand (euro) in today's money.

[data from www.finfacts.ie]
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

£1300 for a full set was the higher end of the range in 1984 if I remember well. Alain hadn't started the stainless steel look at the time or just had. I think that came in first by the end of 84/early 85. I paid £1400 for the Wooff at the time, which was high end of the range and scandalous according to some.

Times have changed haven't they? Image
Last edited by Cayden on Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

GW

Post by Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa »

Peter Laban wrote: I paid £14K for the Wooff at the time, which was high end of the range and scandalous according to some.
£14K does sound like a hefty price back in the mid 1980s Peter. Was he moving many sets at that price back then? It doesn't sound like Geoff raised his prices much since then, particularly compared to other makers. Or perhaps did you mean £1400 (I think the "k" stands for 1000?).

Neil
wolvy
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by wolvy »

I propose that we declare the official monetary unit used for pipe prices to be the "Dublin pint". It works for me!
Cayden

Re: GW

Post by Cayden »

Piobairi Uilleann Inis Fa wrote:
Peter Laban wrote: I paid £14K for the Wooff at the time, which was high end of the range and scandalous according to some.
£14K does sound like a hefty price back in the mid 1980s Peter. Was he moving many sets at that price back then? It doesn't sound like Geoff raised his prices much since then, particularly compared to other makers. Or perhaps did you mean £1400 (I think the "k" stands for 1000?).

Neil
Yes, that was a bit of a brain f*rt, fixed it. Actually paid £13K for the house. Those have gone up a bit too since (but they are coming down a bit now)
Elmek

Post by Elmek »

Actually paid £13K for the house. Those have gone up a bit too since (but they are coming down a bit now)
Probably will not happen to pipes as living prices, petrol etc are on the up and up. UK pound is also dropping in value against the Euro 1.4 back in March and now 1.2 so pipes by an Irish maker or anywhere in Euroland are now getting more expensive (relatively speaking)

John