Sam Murray/Ben Shaffer update

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
Ben Shaffer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Ive played Irish Flute for a number of Years. Have played Sessions as well but not currently. I have also played Colonial American Flute in reenactment Groups. Started playing Clarinet in 1960 in School and later Community Bands. Also have played Bagpipes Solo as well as in Pipe Bands I played Drums in a Garage band in High School, probably my Instrument I played the best!

Sam Murray/Ben Shaffer update

Post by Ben Shaffer »

I did want to get back with the members of the list to let you all know I spoke at length with Sam and apologized to him.
I also asked the moderators of the two lists to remove the original thread.
What Sam and I had was a misunderstanding based on a lack of communication.
As you may recall from the previous thread Sam and I had a lot of false starts in regards to the Flute I ordered. When he said he sent the Flute and I hadn't received it at his best guess date, I lost my cool and posted the original thread. Well, I should have been more patient.
Had I received a tracking number from Sam, I never would have posted the thread. None of us are perfect however.
I don't blame Sam for overlooking the tracking number as well as for me losing my cool.
I did want the list to know I wanted to make it right with Sam which I believe I did.
Also I wanted to apologize to the list members for losing my cool in one of my worse public moments.
The two of us have no hard feelings towards the other and in fact when Sam comes to the States again he's going to give me a call and I'll show him around North Carolina.
I'll of course copy Sam on this Posting.
Ben Shaffer
Greensboro,NC
Last edited by Ben Shaffer on Mon Aug 04, 2008 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Thanks for the update.

I had a chance to try a Murray flute once; it was a lovely thing.

I know you'll enjoy your new flute.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Fair play to you for eating a slice of humble pie. It doesn't help when people on forums like this keep suggesting 'you can expect not to get your flute' when you're nervous or uncertain about the date of arrival.
flutefry
Tell us something.: Pipes have become my main instrument, but I still play the flute. I have emerged from the "instrument acquisition" phase, and am now down to one full set of pipes (Gordon Galloway), and one flute (Hudson Siccama).

Post by flutefry »

Good for you Ben, and for Sam too.

Hugh
I thought I had no talent, but my talent is to persist anyway.
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Another positive outcome: maybe we've agreed to speak openly and not gloss things over so much. This misunderstanding resulted from lack of communication. Awkward as it was, the resolution happened by way of this board. Both parties emerged with reinforced integrity.
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
banjoman

Post by banjoman »

Fair dues Ben. To be honest, when we have parted with our hard earned money and ordered something and can't get mails replied to or calls returned, it is perfectly understandable that we might become less than patient, it is a scary time. I for one don't think that you are eating humble pie or indeed deserve to- your lack of patience as you describe it, was very understandable and perhaps if the shoe was on the other foot, and a maker regardless of who, was owed money, then you might see a different tune being played- as it were. When we know the instrument/and or our money is safe, twenty twenty vision can be easy. I hope you get many years enjoyment from the flute.
concertinaman
michael c

Post by michael c »

crookedtune wrote:Another positive outcome: maybe we've agreed to speak openly and not gloss things over so much. This misunderstanding resulted from lack of communication. Awkward as it was, the resolution happened by way of this board. Both parties emerged with reinforced integrity.
All's well that ends well but resolution came after someone phoned Sam and told him what was on this board. Otherwise he would almost certainly not have see the thread until more judgements had been passed on him without his knowledge. That's not quite the same as "by was of this board".

That said, as Crookedtune has written, both parties may have emerged with reinforced integrity. Hopefully some of the rest of the jury in this short saga can follow them in this. That may be too much to ask in the case of some who made contributions to thesession.org's thread.
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

So Ben will get his flute because he published his story on the internet. Is that the way to go? Just wondering ....
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

Thank you for your follow through. I'm glad there is a positive outcome. I certainly don't agree with the "humble pie" statement. I believe you simply did the honourable thing. Everyone has moments they rue; and that would apply to all parties concerned.
All the best, Cyril.
Harry

Post by Harry »

Claudine,

No, because the flute was en route before the story was posted.

Please be aware that Sam does not pay a lot of attention to the net... good call if you ask me.

Regards,

Harry.
"[insert quote here]" -- A. Page

Piping podcast: http://errantelbows.podbean.com/
banjoman

Post by banjoman »

Nor to his telephone or tracking numbers by all accounts ! However if my memory serves me right he was able to pay attention to the net when he wanted final payment !
concertinaman
SteveB
Tell us something.: I am a flute player. I play ITM pretty much exclusively. Like to browse and occasionally post on flute related discussions

Post by SteveB »

The is thread is slowly degenerating into a resurrection of the original one. I humbly suggest that the Moderator put the boots to this one as well.

regards,

SteveB