Posting clips

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.
gorjuswrex
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by gorjuswrex »

Jem

I tried to see the video clip,MP4. It loaded to temp but asked me what programme to open it. So I need to bite the bullet and set up a newer system I've had waiting for a couple of years.

Re the other clips I listened to the Green fields of Rosbeigh and Cup of tea. I'm guessing you wouldn't be intending these to be critiqued due to the flute you were strugging with.

I had a play of a keyless Pakistan flute a few yours ago. From what I recall it was fairly easy to give it a resonable volume. Not a hard one to play if the players able for a Pratten. Intonation was off from what I recall. I think it was bakealite or similar with rubber in it and it smelt yucky, like pewke.

Kevin
Last edited by gorjuswrex on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Hi Kevin, thanks for checking them out. Any critique welcome! The struggle, as I noted, was more mine with my embouchure than with the flute (I'd have been having the same focussing probs on any flute just then....), which despite its origins plays just fine (more so now I've fettled it), and the intonation of which is quite acceptable - well within tolerance for a simple system flute and better than many antiques. (BTW, I have one of the ebonite Eb ones you mention, and that too has decent intonation, but does indeed smell strongly of burnt rubber - not puke, but burning car tyres for sure - not very pleasant :D ! See the Pakistani Sticky thread. This one is wooden, however.) That said, I wasn't trying hard for personal best performances, just to rattle off some demo clips on an unfamiliar instrument.

Interestingly, no-one has yet listened to the pseudo air doodling.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

I've recorded a new tune on my newly aquired Casey Burns Large-hole mopane slideless keyless.

The tune, "Sunset", is on my clips page at the top: http://www.geocities.com/jpollack2000/JasonClips.html

"Sunset" was originally written by Cathal McConnell. I base my setting on Frankie Kennedy's recording of it with Altan. Just a beautiful tune, a rare slow reel (I tend to enjoy slower tunes, maybe because they stand out in comparison to all the fast-paced tunes usually found on albums). Unfortunately, I don't play the C section because it includes F naturals creating F major to C major bars instead of D major to C major bars in the B section. I wish I could--the C section makes to tune amazing. I just repeat the B section which ain't bad, I don't think. See the dots here: http://www.thesession.org/tunes/display/908

Is it possible to half-hole the F's in this case? Seems quite tricky if not nearly impossible. Perhaps I just don't want to take the time to learn how to do it--too many other tunes to learn in D and G, Ador and E dor...

Let me know what you think.

Jason
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Akiba

Nicely played. Slighty different feel to the Altan version I think timing wise.

Re Fnat have you tried fork fingering. Leaving rhand 2 finger down (ie the next one down) to play Fnat when the the would be F# without rhand 2?

Kevin
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Jem

Green fields of Rosbeigh set. I'd love to hear it where you can get a better tone. It seams to be let down by the woolly tone, especially on the low ornaments (rolls) on the Roscommon. These need to be crisp to work. Sound like if this were sorted it would be nice. Is it an Altan set? It seems to have a bit of that flaeva 2 me.

Cup of Tea. Similar comment to above. The tone seems a bit better here I think? I'd like to see some more emphasis on the start of phrases, but that may just be a personal thing, you are playing a different style I think. I think the timing might not be as spot on as it could be. Breathing seems to be getting in the way at times. I suspect unfamiliar flute disease. Do I detect an Altan type of influence again?

On the air. It seems to show up that the bottom D and maybe E just don’t seem to sound as relatively ‘good’ as the others. They don’t seem to have the same character. Hollow not full. Not the same power there?

Ballyloughlin. This seems to work best of all. I’d say here you show the flute in a blazing light :D . Could it be that it’s response is just not up to the faster things on the above sets? Having said that it seems to work well enough on the crans here?

Kevin
JeffS

Post by JeffS »

Here's a tune I got from an online lesson with Harry Bradley. I think he called it The Jig of the Dead. His version sounds a l-i-t-t-l-e better.

http://www.box.net/shared/42kvq67ks4 :)
"Where I came from, to get enough to eat was an achievement. To get enough to get drunk was a victory" (Brendan Behan)
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

What a strange name. It's is a little stange in the 2nd part. The echoey sound does give it a bit of a spookey feeling.

I think everythink is well under control in your playing. You might want to look at how you phrase it. As it it I find your playing of it a bit straight and lacking charater. The tune needs something to lift it, sounds a bit dead I suppose! Personally I don't think it will ever be a great jig and the tile might be well suited.

How about something different from you, another jig?

Kevin
JeffS

Post by JeffS »

Thanks for the feedback Kevin. I actually quite like the jig. Harry Bradley plays it with a lot more pulse. I usually intentionally leave out the heavy pulse because I'm attracted to a more Jack Coen, Mike Rafferty style. In this case it may be making the tune sound uninteresting. Thanks again for listening.
"Where I came from, to get enough to eat was an achievement. To get enough to get drunk was a victory" (Brendan Behan)
claudine
Tell us something.: Hi, I am a choir singer from Luxembourg trying to get back to Irish flute playing after a few years of absence from ITM.

Post by claudine »

nice sound. what flute do you play?
JeffS

Post by JeffS »

Thanks claudine. I play a keyless Olwell Pratten.
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

As promised I have recorded two new clips of my playing. These are both on my Martin Doyle Rosewood D I will record some on my Copley Eb, but I got my wisdom teeth out yesterday so I am not supposed to play for a couple days. The Noon Day Feast and The Lament for Limerick for whatever reason the recordings are very quiet in person I am usually pretty loud. The Lament is over 6 mins I played it twice without realizing how long that actually takes so be warned.

Enjoy :)
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Fanny Power

It's been so long, I'm struggling how to post a clip. I've kind of been through hell and back recently and am posting a clip of Fanny Power played with passion. Some reels to follow.

Michael
Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
mahanpots

Post by mahanpots »

Olwell Pratten.
Paddy Cronin's Jig
Limestone Rock, Silver Spear
Blasting, billowing, bursting forth with the power of 10 billion butterfly sneezes
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Unseen
Noon day feast. Very nice playing.Lovely rolls.Nice timing.Good tone. At the 1min 12 sec mark on my download the timing jumps i think it must be a file or computer querk.

Kevin
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

Thanks, I don't know why it jumps at the min 12 mark I don't remember if that was a mistake or if it is a computer thing could be either.