I'm a natural :-)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Baggy

I'm a natural :-)

Post by Baggy »

Hi all

As mentioned here before I have got to 50+ years old without ever playing an instrument or even learning to read music.

But my sweetone arrived this morning and it appears that I am a natural
In no time at all I was playing a long tune, fantastic :D

Sadly this has caused some jealousy amongst my family especially with my piano playing, music reading daughter.

My daughter stupidly claims that randomly repeating three dubious notes is not a tune, she also claims that she cannot see notation for squeeks or sqwarks in the music score. Has she not heard of ornamenting !!!!

My wife is worse and was heard muttering to my daughter "It would be a shame if someone sat on that whistle"
In fairness my wife is currently upset about our dog suddenly choosing to sit at the very end of the garden all day, strange that.

Still who cares, it is my tune and I love it :D :D
Adrian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Adrian »

:lol: :thumbsup:
riverman

Post by riverman »

Such wanton jealousy! And directed at such a great sound! It must be discounted--completely!

Remember Dale Wisely's wise words: "If you can make a sound, you're a musician. If you like the sounds you make, you're a good musician. If others like the sounds you make, you're a great musician."

...a comfort to me on many a day.

...especially the day one older man said my whistle sounded like a dying cat!
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

riverman wrote:...especially the day one older man said my whistle sounded like a dying cat!
How does he know what a dying cat sounds like?
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Great for you!

The whistle is pretty intuitive as far as fingering goes, so it's pretty easy to play tunes quickly. However, it has virtually unlimited room for growth-- record your tunes now, and then play them back again in about 6 months.
You are in for a LOT of fun. Get the rest of the family involved too!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
BoneQuint

Post by BoneQuint »

riverman wrote:"If you can make a sound, you're a musician. If you like the sounds you make, you're a good musician. If others like the sounds you make, you're a great musician."
What if others like the sounds you make, but you don't?
Tia

Post by Tia »

BoneQuint wrote:
riverman wrote:"If you can make a sound, you're a musician. If you like the sounds you make, you're a good musician. If others like the sounds you make, you're a great musician."
thenn you have problems...? or they are deaf :D
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
Denny

Post by Denny »

BoneQuint wrote:
recording artist with better taste than .....
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

BoneQuint wrote:
Someone who has to play "Danny Boy" knows the answer to that question, a "working musician" or a "performing musician."
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
walrii

Post by walrii »

mutepointe wrote:
BoneQuint wrote:
Someone who has to play "Danny Boy" knows the answer to that question, a "working musician" or a "performing musician."
Or a music critic.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Baggy

Post by Baggy »

riverman wrote:Such wanton jealousy!

Remember Dale Wisely's wise words: "If you can make a sound, you're a musician. If you like the sounds you make, you're a good musician. If others like the sounds you make, you're a great musician."
!
Excellent, I have quoted this a lot :D
Baggy

Thanks for the encoragement

Post by Baggy »

Hi all

Thanks for the encoragement.

I'm pleased to say that with a little practice I am producing a reasonable version of "merrily we roll along. Even the family grudgingly admit that it's not too bad.

I have to say picking up an albeit simple tune quickly is great for my confidence. I also now have an even greater appreciation for some of the amazing playing that I have been listening to.

Practice will continue to be an issue and I will have to work around family and neighbours as the whistle is quite loud.

Great fun so far tho :D
CranberryDog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Thanks for the encoragement

Post by CranberryDog »

Baggy wrote:Hi all

Thanks for the encoragement.

I'm pleased to say that with a little practice I am producing a reasonable version of "merrily we roll along. Even the family grudgingly admit that it's not too bad.

I have to say picking up an albeit simple tune quickly is great for my confidence. I also now have an even greater appreciation for some of the amazing playing that I have been listening to.

Practice will continue to be an issue and I will have to work around family and neighbours as the whistle is quite loud.

Great fun so far tho :D
My family was so happy when I got an Irish flute; especially the German Shepherd Dog. Best
Tucson Whistler

Re: Thanks for the encoragement

Post by Tucson Whistler »

Baggy wrote: Practice will continue to be an issue and I will have to work around family and neighbours as the whistle is quite loud.
Don't worry about the loudness (unless it's 2 am :wink: ). It's hard not to feel self-conscious, but the whistle sounds better when you just play and not try to be quiet with it. It sounds like you're having fun.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Go Baby Go!!!

If you're havin' fun then keep at it. :)
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama