getting pills into cats

Socializing and general posts on wide-ranging topics. Remember, it's Poststructural!
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

getting pills into cats

Post by chas »

Our senior cat is probably on his last legs. He's dropped over half his body weight; we'd thought it was from hyper thyroid, but his thyroid levels are now all well within normal, but he's still losing or barely maintaining. He's had diarrhea off and on for several months, on for the past 2-3 weeks.

We have anti-diarrheal pills for him, but after taking the pills for some time, he's getting really bad about taking them. His thyroid pills are small, and we can slip them into treats. We can't do that for the AD pills, partly because they're big and partly because they're extremely soluble in cat treats, so they turn to mush and evidently diffuse into the treat and taste horrible, so as soon as he gets a taste of the treat he spits it out.

My wife is very good at giving cats pills, but he's onto her. Her normal technique is to pull back really really far on the scruff of the neck to basically force the cats mouth open. He's onto that; doesn't open his mouth most of the time, and when he does open it, it's not far enough or else he's really good at closing his throat and spitting the pill out.

So, any suggestions? He's really skinny now, but still strong, fast, and smart. It's now difficult to double-team him and get a towel around the sharp parts, which are really really sharp. We've asked the vet, who's shown us a couple of things, but I think she has some sort of magic; our cat is basically mush in her hands. Anyone tried any commercial products for this purpose?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

You cat has diarrhea for off and on for months and the diarrhea for a straight 2-3 weeks and the only thing the vet offers now is anti-diarrhea pills? That doesn't sound right to me. Why not treat the reason the cat has diarrhea or are the tests and treatments for that too cost prohibitive?

But enough with my editorializing.

I pill cats by squeezing a bit at both sides of the back of their jaw to open their mouth.

Once you get the pill in and their mouth closes, dab their nose with some water.
They have to swallow first before they can stick their tongue out to lick the water off their nose.
djm
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by djm »

Basically the same as above: hold one hand in a C shape around back of head/top of neck. Opposing thumb and forefinger take either side of the mouth and pull the lips back at the corners to open the jaws. Place pill as far back on tongue as possible. Use something soft to push the pill right to back of tongue if you're squeemish. While continuing to hold mouth open with the first hand, rub throat with other hand to induce swallowing reflex. Drop cat and run.

djm
I'd rather be atop the foothills than beneath them.
Denny

Post by Denny »

drop cat....

hello, ya can't throw 'em far enough.
chas

Post by chas »

hyldemoer wrote:You cat has diarrhea for off and on for months and the diarrhea for a straight 2-3 weeks and the only thing the vet offers now is anti-diarrhea pills? That doesn't sound right to me. Why not treat the reason the cat has diarrhea or are the tests and treatments for that too cost prohibitive?

But enough with my editorializing.

I pill cats by squeezing a bit at both sides of the back of their jaw to open their mouth.

Once you get the pill in and their mouth closes, dab their nose with some water.
They have to swallow first before they can stick their tongue out to lick the water off their nose.
Thank you for the advice, not for the editorializing. Where did I say that we haven't had every test possible? We have, thousands of dollars worth. As I said, the cat is just at the end of his life. I've been through this before, complete with the diarrhea (in the days before I could afford the tests and anti-diarrhea medicine). Sometimes there's nothing you can do but try to make him comfortable.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
s1m0n

Post by s1m0n »

chas wrote: Thank you for the advice, not for the editorializing. Where did I say that we haven't had every test possible? We have, thousands of dollars worth. As I said, the cat is just at the end of his life... Sometimes there's nothing you can do but try to make him comfortable.
I feel for you; I've just been through this with my dog, and I know how much it can hurt.

Luckily, he'd swallow anything that came wrapped in a dab of butter, so I didn't have to wrestle him over taking his pills.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
Charlene

Post by Charlene »

You've probably read this joke before:

How to give a cat a pill
1) Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat's mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2) Retrieve pill from floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3) Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4) Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right fore-finger. Hold mouth shut for a count of ten.

5) Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6) Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, hold front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat's throat vigorously.

7) Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines and vases from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8) Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with head just visible from below armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9) Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply band-aid to spouse's forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10) Retrieve cat from neighbor's shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11) Fetch screwdriver from garage and put cupboard door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus jab. Throw Tee-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12) Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat from tree across the road. Apologize to neighbor who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from foil-wrap.

13) Tie cat's front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table, find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Push pill into mouth followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour 2 pints of water down throat to wash pill down.

14) Get spouse to drive you to the emergency room, sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants from right eye. Call furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15) Arrange for RSPCA to collect cat and ring local pet shop to see if they have any hamsters.

HOW TO GIVE A DOG A PILL:

1) Wrap it in bacon.

Seriously, I hope you can get the cat to take some medicine so he'll feel better. When we had cats and had to give them pills it was a real fight. Is the medicine available in liquid so you can just squirt it down his throat?
Charlene
kkrell
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

or you can use an effective herbal treatment:

A cat food diet "with small amount of slippery elm powder (1/4 teaspoon) mixed through it. In the gastro-intestinal tract, Slippery Elm acts directly. Its mucilage content coats, soothes, and lubricates the mucus membranes lining the digestive tract. It is high in fibre, and so helps normalize intestinal action; it can be used to relieve both diarrhea and constipation."

Or:

"Anitra Frazier gives the following recipe for Slippery Elm Bark syrup in her book, The New Natural Cat, which applies equally well to our canine companions when adjusted for weight: Into a small saucepan place 1/2 cup cold water and 1 teaspoon powdered slippery elm bark. Whip with a fork. Bring to simmer over low flame, stirring constantly. Simmer 1 or 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Cool and refrigerate. Keeps 7 or 8 days. Give a teaspoon of syrup (5 cc) for an average-size cat (again, about 10 pounds) 5 minutes before a meal to minimize diarrhea."

I'm sorry about your cat's difficulties. Right now, I am providing hospice care (if not a cure) for a cat with a rare salivary gland cancer. He might give Samuel Clemens a run or two. Quality of life is still pretty good 9 months beyond the oncologist's estimated date.

Kevin Krell
rebl_rn

Post by rebl_rn »

I have used a pill popper (that's what I call it, I don't know if it has an official name). Basically it's a device you stick the pill in one end, and there's a plunger - you can basically pop the pill right down your cat's throat and they don't have a choice but to swallow.
Wash your hands. Cough and sneeze in your sleeve. Stay home if you are sick. Stay informed. http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu for more info.
hyldemoer

Post by hyldemoer »

chas wrote:
Thank you for the advice, not for the editorializing. Where did I say that we haven't had every test possible?
I'm sorry but where did you say you had in the posting I'd replied to?

I apologize if expressing my concern has caused you discomfort.
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I love cats. We have four. That doesn't stop me from enjoying a funny cat joke. I saw t-shirt the other day that read:

"I like cats, I just can't eat a whole one by myself. "

The 'pill popper' advice is seconded by me. It allows you to wedge the tip between the teeth and pop the pill in the back of the throat.
MandoMark

Post by MandoMark »

Will the pill even dissolve in a Pill Pocket? We went through something VERY similar with our doyenne, who died in April... Weight loss, hyperthyroid, vomiting (rather than diarrhea). Check your vet or pet store.

We did have a funny (in the end) experience similar to the joke above. We were moving cross-country and decided on the second morning of the trip not to medicate/tranquilize the cat as she seemed mellow all the previous day. After about an hour of crying and struggling in her carrier, we pulled into a Cracker Barrel for breakfast and to drug Morgan.

After 3 attempts to get her to swallow the downer (resulting in covering the car with cat spit, fur, and (our) blood) we gave up and put her in her carrier to mellow out and for us to get some breakfast. When we came out, we found a VERY mellow cat melted on the floor of her crate. We determined that she probably got a double/triple dose, mainlined right through her gums. My wife spent most of the morning holding the cat, making sure that she didn't stop breathing. Cat ended up being fine in the end, but likely has no memories of Interstate 40 between Knoxville and Oklahoma City.

Good luck with your cat!
Jack

Post by Jack »

I hate giving pills to a cat.

Oddly, though, I had a friend whose cat required injections (I think it was insulin, though I can't remember) besides the pills. I was there one day when she had to give her cat its medicines. Would you believe it's a hundred times easier to put a needle in a cat than to make it swallow a pill? Crazy.
chas

Post by chas »

Thanks everyone. We appreciate the advice and concern.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
cowtime

Post by cowtime »

rebl_rn wrote:I have used a pill popper (that's what I call it, I don't know if it has an official name). Basically it's a device you stick the pill in one end, and there's a plunger - you can basically pop the pill right down your cat's throat and they don't have a choice but to swallow.
You can make your own pill popper by cutting the end off a plastic needle syringe.
"Let low-country intruder approach a cove
And eyes as gray as icicle fangs measure stranger
For size, honesty, and intent."
John Foster West