Who is your greatest influence as a flute player?

The Chiff & Fipple Irish Flute on-line community. Sideblown for your protection.

Flute Player that influences you the most

Matt Molloy
35%
Laurence Nugent
4%
Kevin Crawford
19%
Josie McDermott
4%
Mike Rafferty
11%
Seamus Eagan
5%
Catherine McEvoy
17%
Cathal McConnell
5%

Total votes: 113

lazyleft
antispam: No

Post by lazyleft »

Josie McDermott's 'Darby's Farewell' was the first album I ever purchased of ITM flute and as such has to have been the greatest influence on me. I still find myself tripling with my tongue, Josie style, a habit I admit to with some embarrasment and which I should probably make an effort to rid myself of. I liked McDermott so much that even the tracks of lilting became enjoyable after awhile. Otherwise there are just so many of them ...Frankie Gavin hasn't been mentioned much, or Roger Sherlock, Micho Russell, I like that someone mentioned Tom McHale, although a whistle player still a big influence. My personal list would not be complete without Tubridy and CATHAL McCONNELL. To be honest never was a big fan of Molloy...his brilliance tended to be detrimental to my own motivation in learning to play!!!
The first time I heard Willie Clancy it was kind of like a religious experience but to say his piping influenced me would be a stretch...perhaps the question could have been musicians that have inspired us.
toughknot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by toughknot »

Fintan Valley
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
kenny

A pedant writes...

Post by kenny »

Vallely ? - Good choice, and a player who's not as well known as he should be. You may be interested to know that I saw a CD recording of the LP record he made for Shanachie [ early 80s ? ] on sale at the Willie Clancy week, and also a CD copy of the tape he made with Mark Simos, "The Starry Lane To Monaghan". I've a feeling they may only be available from Fintan himself - you could check his website, if interested
"There's fast music and there's lively music. People don't always know the difference"
pipersgrip
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by pipersgrip »

I love Mike Rafferty, and Kevin Crawford, they are both great guys. Some others are Michael McGoldrick, Sylvain Barou, and Niall Keegan.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Brazenkane

Post by Brazenkane »

....Every great Northern player that I've heard!!!!
toughknot

Re: A pedant writes...

Post by toughknot »

kenny wrote:Vallely ? - Good choice, and a player who's not as well known as he should be. You may be interested to know that I saw a CD recording of the LP record he made for Shanachie [ early 80s ? ] on sale at the Willie Clancy week, and also a CD copy of the tape he made with Mark Simos, "The Starry Lane To Monaghan". I've a feeling they may only be available from Fintan himself - you could check his website, if interested
Yes Kenny, that is who I meant. Sorry for the misspelling.

Jim
I shall never bitter be so long as I can laugh at me.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

The Whistle Collector wrote:I love Mike Rafferty, and Kevin Crawford, they are both great guys. Some others are Michael McGoldrick, Sylvain Barou, and Niall Keegan.
And I also forgot about Joanie Madden.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Akiba
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Post by Akiba »

daiv wrote:my greatest influence would be my uncle (if you go to http://www.burkewhistles.com/ , he will be the one playing the whistle in the first few clips).
Daiv,

just listened to the first track on the Burke site. Your uncle's setting of Cup of Tea is very cool; gave me lots of ideas of how else to approach the tune. I can see how he'd be an inspiring player to listen to, yes indeed.

Thanks.

Jason
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

In terms of learning the real basic stuff, Michael Tubridy and Matt Molloy were the two players I studied a lot when I was learning to play. Phrasing, articulation, where to put rolls and cuts and taps, how to approach variations, all the stuff that's basically hard-wired into my playing. Mary Bergin was another source too, once I got good enough to understand what she was doing.

An ancient album of Fintan Vallely's called Traditional Irish Flute Music got me on to a more rhythmic, punchy style; I think I learned every tune on that album.

Tim Britton's playing encouraged me to develop flexibility and imagination.

A week of lessons with Chris Norman at the Swannanoa Gathering did a lot for how I think about the flute and flute playing, if not how I actually play it. I think my teaching style owes a lot to him.

I've known Patrick Olwell for many years; besides being one of the Best Flute Makers Ever, he's a great player, and I've learned a lot from him.

I continue to be influenced by the great musicians I play with regularly here in DC: Brendan Bell, Josh Dukes, Philippe Varlet, Danny Noveck, Tina Eck, John Kerr, Patrick Cavanaugh, and others.
Caper Flutist

Post by Caper Flutist »

Chris Norman
Wormdiet

Post by Wormdiet »

Ro3b wrote:In terms of learning the real basic stuff, Michael Tubridy and Matt Molloy were the two players I studied a lot when I was learning to play. Phrasing, articulation, where to put rolls and cuts and taps, how to approach variations, all the stuff that's basically hard-wired into my playing. Mary Bergin was another source too, once I got good enough to understand what she was doing.

An ancient album of Fintan Vallely's called Traditional Irish Flute Music got me on to a more rhythmic, punchy style; I think I learned every tune on that album.

Tim Britton's playing encouraged me to develop flexibility and imagination.

A week of lessons with Chris Norman at the Swannanoa Gathering did a lot for how I think about the flute and flute playing, if not how I actually play it. I think my teaching style owes a lot to him.

I've known Patrick Olwell for many years; besides being one of the Best Flute Makers Ever, he's a great player, and I've learned a lot from him.

I continue to be influenced by the great musicians I play with regularly here in DC: Brendan Bell, Josh Dukes, Philippe Varlet, Danny Noveck, Tina Eck, John Kerr, Patrick Cavanaugh, and others.
You guys have such a great crew down there . . . it would be very easy to get influences of the better sort in that environment.

In terms of making me aware of the instrument, it would probably be Phil Smillie (Tanahill Weavers) and MM. . . . . but that was approximately 15-20 years before I actually started on the flute.

Stylistically. . . who knows? My old GHB teachers? Many of the folks mentioned already? session buddies? Workshop instructors? It's really tough to say, and probably depends more on how and from whom I learn an individual tune than anything else.
OOOXXO
Doing it backwards since 2005.
gorjuswrex

Post by gorjuswrex »

Sorry to pipe in late here.

Influence. For me it's a whole range of player's, not just flute players. I can't say any one player. I've never studied a players style to the degree of coping one of their recordings as closely as possible. As a learning exercise, in the way an artist might copy a painting of a master to learn certain techniques. I think it would be useful . I'm sure I would learn a lot from the excercise.

It seems a shame that only a few of the old players have been mentioned. These are often the stongest influence on me. I know a lot of the great modern players that have been mentioned refer heavily back to the old lads and lasses. Their music had great feel. It is refered to as the well and I strongly believe in the importance of it. Often part of its appeal was, and is, it's more basic? approach letting other qualities shine through . Personally I love players in both camps, old and newer styles. If I had to chose though I think it would be old style.

One old player I especially love is Joe Cooley. I hope to find time to study his playing and see how much of his style I can get into flute. No bases of course. Not saying I want to aim to play flute like Cooley played box but I would learn a lot from it I think.

I have an auntie who took up painting at a late age. She had very little or no training. Her pictures are very special. Great feeling, with some fantasic primitive touches. Individual. One of her daughters is a trained Artist who works as an art teacher. IMO she has never produced anything as good as her mothers pictures. I told my auntie not to 'learn' how to paint, as she already knows how. The worry is she will try and spoil it all by trying to do things 'right'.

It seems to me that many of us are players who to some degree have to paddle their own canoe. We may not have had a general musical education in early life. We are maybe more isolated than those in the hartlands. A few will be able to reach the mighty hights of the players mentioned. Some will get to be pale imatations when they started out with a maybe more basic playing that was more their own and more pleaseing to hear.I'm not knocking the super group players as an influence but I think caution is required.

Any comments?

Sorry about the spelling, I am on a new computer with no spell check on wordpad.

Kevin
Il Friscaletto

Post by Il Friscaletto »

My greatest influence...I guess it's my teacher! Not just because I learn directly from her, but because I love the the way she plays!

:)
Richard
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Richard »

My biggest influence has been Matt Molloy. When I first heard the Parting of Friends on the Music at Matt Molloy's CD, I just couldn't wait to get a flute. I know I probably should not try to play like him, but it's fun to try.

As for another favorite not listed in the poll, I would mention Colm O'Donnell.
whistleman922
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by whistleman922 »

Seamus Egan was definitely the player who inspired me the most...i wouldn't say that he influenced my style so much since I don't think that anyone could ever play like he does. He still blows my mind (when he finds time to pick up the flute between the banjo and the guitar)

stylistically I'd have to say maybe Michael McGoldrick. I was already playing similarly to him when I first heard his stuff and since then have really fallen in love with his playing. So that's had a sure effect on the way I try to play.
Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Light a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.~terry pratchett