Does standard guitar tuning work for ITM?

Our first forum for instruments you don't blow.
jim stone

Does standard guitar tuning work for ITM?

Post by jim stone »

I know many folks are using alternative tunings,
but does standard guitar tuning work well for jigs,
reels, etc?

Also, a related question, all things being equal,
is using a flat pick better than finger picking
for such tunes?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: Does standard guitar tuning work for ITM?

Post by Nanohedron »

jim stone wrote:I know many folks are using alternative tunings,
reels, etc?

for such tunes?
It's all in how you do it.

I'll assume we're discussing mainly ITM here. All tunings pose their strengths and limitations, and one needs to differentiate between melody and backup playing, and if one is committed to both, to choose how one arrives at one's best tuning for both and why. Sheer familiarity can be a valid enough "why", IMO. Some string players experiment with tunings all the time. Open and semi-open tunings are easier to make sound "traditional" in backup playing, but may be tougher to play melodies with ease. If your interest is strictly melody, standard tuning or tuning in fifths might be the best way to go. Just my opinion: standard tuning for backup is not so pleasing if the standard basic chord forms are used, but again, that's my own taste for most cases. I don't know about fifths-tuning chording. But there are ways to address chords in standard tuning to make them more "modal"-sounding, and one just needs to find them if that's the way one wants to go. "Drop-D" tuning is one solution to that, too.

As to flat vs. finger plectra, flat picks are most common by far. Doesn't mean they're necessarily "better". I know of one fellow just now getting into the music, already a real master of his fretboard from his time at other vernaculars, and while he uses standard tuning, he nevertheless seems to understand how more modal-sounding chord-forms suit traditional tunes so well, but he's strictly a finger-picker. Can't use a flat pick to save his life. He uses those slip-on thingies that stand in for fingernails. It doesn't seem to inhibit his ability to sound good in this new context, and for melody playing it's just fine. You know, come to think of it, this discussion has me considering trying those out for my cittern in addition to the flat pick, now. Not commonplace, but I could have more options for textural possibilites to add to the picture.

IOW, I can't see any absolutes in this. What counts is the sound, and so the contribution, one makes to the music. If one has rhythmic problems playing melodies and one is using a flat pick, maybe finger picks are the way to go. Maybe.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
dubhlinn

Re: Does standard guitar tuning work for ITM?

Post by dubhlinn »

jim stone wrote:I know many folks are using alternative tunings,
reels, etc?

for such tunes?
When I was learning to play "De music" back in seventies Dublin..nobody knew anyhting about alternative tunings..give or take a few Davy Graham/Bert Jansch/ John Renbourne freaks.

The Dubliners managed well on standard tuning - In Ronnie Drews Flamenco down beat kinda way. In those days the standard tuning was fine and it did tend to regulate the guitar to a backing instrument..a much better sound than a loud piano.
Over the years the open tunings came in and took the music into a different realm..more rhythm and percussion and then along those lines came the Bothys and Altan and after that all the other bands who put rhythm and percussion above melody.

I love both styles and accept them both for what they are but I do have a very warm and soft place in my heart for those who understand the three chord trick..and use plecs.

Finger picking is another art form completely..

Did I ever mention how much I adore Missisissippi John Hurt..hope I got all the eyes and esses in the right row..
Slan,
D. :)
And many a poor man that has roved,
Loved and thought himself beloved,
From a glad kindness cannot take his eyes.

W.B.Yeats
Ro3b
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ro3b »

I don't like standard tuning for ITM because there's not a complete D scale in the bottom octave. I'd at least drop the sixth string down to D.

Plectrum vs. fingerpicking, well, people do both, but for me I want the drive and whomp a flatpick provides. I've done some nice fingerstyle arrangements of tunes, but they're nothing I'd want to bring into a session.
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

I personally think standard tuning doesn't sound right. But I'm not an expert and neither was the guitar player.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
tin tin
Tell us something.: To paraphrase Mark Twain, a gentleman is someone who knows how to play the spoons and doesn't. I'm doing my best to be a gentleman.

Post by tin tin »

Chulrua's Pat Egan is a fine example of standard tuning. http://www.chulrua.com/

I've also come across the occasional excellent guitarist using standard tuning at sessions...to paraphrase a mantra from the flute board: it's the player, not the tuning.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I always use standard tuning and never use a pick. I play on a Ramirez classical running the bass line with my thumb and strumming or picking as the tune may dictate with my fingers.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
joshD

Post by joshD »

For me I tend to feel that an open tuned guitar lends it self more to the music. I will say that some guitar players such as Pat Eagan are masters of playing in standard tuning and making the chords sound like they are open. Keep in mind that I never learned to play in standard tuning so you can easily write me off as a bu!!$h!T Guitar player :lol:
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Pat Egan taught a guitar workshop at St. Louis Tionol last year. Hubby took it. Great guy.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
joshD

Post by joshD »

Pat is a great fellow. I only have nice things to say about that guy. Class!
Gabriel

Post by Gabriel »

Standard tuning works like hell for ITM. I know three players in Germany who play standard tuning, and it certainly works well. It all depends on how you do it, esp. playing with the capo. Standard tuning without capodaster won't work well, I guess.
eskin

Post by eskin »

My good friend Dave Bowen, who took third in the All-Ireland a couple of years ago for backup, plays in standard tuning and never uses a capo. I don't think the tuning really matters much in the hands of a skilled player.
Ro3b

Post by Ro3b »

I think that's really the key. Boomchucking the first-position "cowboy chords" in standard tuning won't do much for anybody. Whatever tuning you use, you have to learn to play the thing.
pkev

Post by pkev »

Hi there,

A good understanding of chord `inversions` is helpful in backing the melody so no problem with standard tunings.

Cheers
pkev