Those were the days

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chrisp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Those were the days

Post by chrisp »

Hi all

I just thought it would be interesting to hear how YOU got got to play the whistle. Who or what inspired you? Where were you?
I myself, have always loved irish folk, and the whistle is an instrument you can take anywhere.
About four years ago i sailed with six new friends, on a 100 year old 50ft wooden ship, from Norway to Shetland. Sailing with the wind on her maiden voyage across the North sea was quite an experience. A couple of the guys on board played an instrument, one of which a whistle, so we spent a lot of time singing/making music.
It was on Shetland i bought my first Gen D, and proceeded to annoy everyone on our voyage home. I haven't stopped playing the whistle since.
narrowdog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by narrowdog »

WOW you were on that boat :o
I saw a documentary on TV last year about it and was so impressed.
What a challange.

On a slightly smaller scale I was on a canoeing trip last year and a friend brought along a couple of her whistles, it was great having some music of an evening and that was me hooked :D

Cheers
Happiness is taking things as they are.
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

Hi Narrowdog,

There was a documentary made a few years back, unfortunately i wasn't on that trip. I think they sailed to the north of Norway, if that's the one you saw?
It looks like we have water, boats and whistles in common. Great backdrops! Fantastic memories! :thumbsup:
Belgian_Waffle

Post by Belgian_Waffle »

't Was at a folkfestival about three years ago were friends of ours, who play in a folkband, starting playing on the campsite. People with instruments gathered and started playing along. I then said (encouraged by too much Belgian beer) : "By next year, I'll play at least one song with you guys."'

I then started to think about an instrument : had to cheap, lightweight and not too hard. I therefore picked the whistle. Cheap and lightweight, yes. Easy, eeeh, no :lol: !

But I did manage to learn one tune so I could play along (thanks to the indulgence of my friends). The funny thing was, when we finished, I received a massive (though totally undeserved) applause from people who had heard me make my vow the year before. The innocent bystanders who knew nothing where totally bewilderd why such a bad musician (and I use the term lightly) should get even the tiniest bit of applause !
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

Well, I was a 5-string old-time banjo player with an interest in tenor banjo. I'd also always liked "Celtic" music and found out a guy I had gone to high school with played flute at the local session.
But, I was too broke for a banjo, and found out the whistle had fingerings VERY similar to the saxophone I'd played in marching band in high school. So, I got a Sweetone, and fell in love with whistle so much so that for a while my interest in tenor banjo waned. Now, almost 2 years later, I'm still whistling, but a lot of my time is spent trying to learn flute and banjo at once.
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

My husband put a Clarke Original in my Christmas stocking. I fell in love with it, but I'm pretty sure he regrets giving it to me. He thinks it's too high pitched, but he still lets me hold him hostage when I learn a new song. What a good guy!!!
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
boatgirl

Post by boatgirl »

Walked into an Irish shop on the eastern shore of Maryland. They had Waltons with a book so I got my hubby to but it for me as an early bday gift. No I couldn't wait till my birthday to play it so that was it for me! Fits nicer than a baby grand on a boat too! :D
rhulsey
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by rhulsey »

I was visiting my brother out state, and he was watching Celtic Woman on PBS. I was really impressed with the women's voices and their ability to sing and blend so well together, although I'm still not sure what to think about the rest of the "group", except the whistler, who had a whole set of metal whistles - and that was what started my interest in whistling.

I later learned that while I was in Texas watching PBS, Cherish the Ladies played in Knoxville - 40 miles away from my home!

Reg
"Those who can make you believe absurdities
can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire
Ceili_whistle_man

Post by Ceili_whistle_man »

I was a wee lad of 8 years old growing up in Belfast, an old fella across the street used to send me to the shop for a quarter loaf, half a pound of butter and a tin of sardines. I would sit and watch as he made a sardine sandwich, eat it, and then play me a few tunes on the whistle. He taught me the basics and how to play by ear. I learned lots of tunes, grew up, forgot about the whistle, learned other instruments and then came back to the whistle. I still find that a tune comes out of me that I had long forgotten about, it is just magic when this happens.
Whale Oil Beef Hooked!
Ronnie

Post by Ronnie »

Good morning whistlers!
Like Belgium Waffle (a friend from the sessions) I live in Belgium and have to go way back towards my 18th or 19th birthday when I visited Cambridge folkfestival. I was blown away by Vinn Garbutt a singer songwriter and whistler. I was fond of his album : youg tin whistle pest and on arrival home I bought a cheap high D and did virtually nothing with it having no example or teacher to guide me through the first steps. I started life and met my lovely wife Karen who was also very fond of the celtic way and music and we started out to go to festivals and Scottish/Irish fests. Later in life I became a Bodhran player and I think I am not the best player but also not the worst so I amused myself at sessions near Gent where I live. Belgian Waffle's teacher pulls those sessions and I became again interested in the whistle, could play a few tunes but never "decorated" them with the little spices for which Irish music is known. I found a teacher in Holland who is the same age as me and I like his style:slurring the notes and toss them around to make the final tune. Now I am at the stage where I can't let go of the little instrument and feel the urge to play it every time I go pass it. I am glad I followed my instincts to play it even when it took me a while to get started, but the saying goes : better late then never. All the best to all!
Ron
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Listening to someone play a Susato in Czech Republic.
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

I bought a Clark or a Generation years ago when I was a teenager. I was blowing to see what sort of noises I could make that would sound nice and ended up working out the first few bars of Amazing Grace. I gave up on it after a while, and not being a very religious type, threw that whistle away at some point. Focused on guitar for a little while, sold the guitar to my mate who still has it...Gave up on that. Moved on to Harmonica...Gave up on that. Still have a Harmonica that was given to me by my grand dad when I was about four...Wonder if it could be classed as an antique now :D . Came back to Guitar, got good, bought a decent one...Then gave up on that :-? . Came back to whistles about a year back and have started getting serious about them for the last three months. We'll see what comes of it this time around...I still love my guitar and play occassionally but a whistle will be easier to carry on the motorbike :wink: .

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

when i posted this thread, i thought it would be really interesting to hear everyone's different stories. i loved the tales already sent, I'm sure everyone's got something different to tell.

I'm surprised the lack of reply's
Maybe i should have written about cheapies/expensive? :lol:
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

I'm in the folk group at church. One Saturday night, the keyboard player's son-in-law from out of town joined us. The sound was great and it seemed like such a simple instrument. Whistles and flutes work really well for church music.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
narrowdog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by narrowdog »

chrisp wrote:when i posted this thread, i thought it would be really interesting to hear everyone's different stories. i loved the tales already sent, I'm sure everyone's got something different to tell.

I'm surprised the lack of reply's
Maybe i should have written about cheapies/expensive? :lol:
Even these few posts are far more interesting than the rants on those other threads :lol:
Happiness is taking things as they are.