Paul Busman and Thin weasel whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
yerushalayim
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by yerushalayim »

I was wondering if anyone could tell me their experince with a Paul Busman or Thin weasel whistles. How do they sound ect.?
Any information would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Yerusha
vaporlock

Post by vaporlock »

Well, you are in luck! I just happen to have one of each currently in my posession. They are both first class instruments. I really have nothing negative to say about either one. I don't have a favorite whistle between the two. A comparison however, would yield the following:

<b>Air requirements:</b> TW=medium, PB=medium low
<b>Volume:</b> TW=loud, PB=medium
<b>Tuning:</b> both spot on
<b>Cnat:</b> both very nice OXX|OOO
<b>Tuning slide:</b> both brass slides with a nice fit
<b>Fit/Finish:</b> Both very fine craftsmen.
<b>Stability:</b> The TW has a strong bottom end with a harder/harsher top end. The PB has a less stable bottom end and an easier to push top end that is less shrill.
<b>Tone:</b> The TW has a full, round, open tone. The PB has a softer, more focused, pure kind of tone.

Both whistles are excellent. All of the differences noted above are the push-me/pull-me type of differences. For instance, air requirements vs volume, or strong bottom end vs. nice, easy top end. Either Glen or Paul can probably make them pretty close to your specifications keeping the laws of whistle physics in mind.

There you have it, according to the two whistles that I have in my posession. I don't think you can go wrong with either one.

Good luck,
Eric

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: vaporlock on 2002-12-17 21:22 ]</font>
chas
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

I'm pretty much with Eric. The Busman is a pretty mellow whistle compared to the TW. My TW D is a whistle with an attitude -- it likes to be played aggressively (i. e., takes a little push), and it's loud and has something I can just call "presence."

They're both fine whistles; you can tell that Paul learned his trade from Glenn and learned it well. Which one I reach for depends on mood more than anything, plus what room I'll be playing in. If I'm gonna be in the kitchen (tile floor, hardwood cabinets), the TW will literally reach the threshold of pain, whereas the Busman is bearable.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I have been satisfied with my 2 sets of metal whistles, for some time. I swore I would never be bothered by the care necessitated by wooden whistles. ...Have enough wood demands with my hammer dulcimers...

Then, I was at a whistle workshop with Wendina, and she had a Busman...I had heard TW's and loved the workmanship, but the shrill top end was everything I personally did not want in a whistle...The Busman was the antithesis...It had superb workmanship, and was sweet, open, with a tuning that was spot on. I decided to investigate the possibility of owning one wooden whistle. The result is that I hope to be the owner of a Kingwood Busman in a few weeks.

Best.
Byll
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I also have whistles by both makers and agree with what's been said. Both men put a fine fit and finish and superior tonal performance and playability into fine pieces of timber. One maker is long established and the other is just starting out, ergo a difference in price.

Philo
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

I have owned and own both Busmans and Thin Weasels.

I've owned and played about every whistle out there (except an Abell...need to do that sometime) and if you want a wooden whistle (and you'd have to be mad not to!) get your hands on either one.

They are very similar and, having owned more than one of each, I'd say any differences between them are only the nuances of difference that occur from individual whistle to individual whistle and have more to do with the woods than the makers.

Buy one!

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
yerushalayim

Post by yerushalayim »

Is there a wait time for a Busman whistle? Also is there one type of wood that he uses that is better than the others?
Thanks for the replies so far...they have really helped.
Yerusha
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

On 2002-12-17 22:26, PhilO wrote:
One maker is long established and the other is just starting out, ergo a difference in price.

Philo
What price is Paul currently asking for a high D? I've looked, I think, but probably not in the right place.
Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

If you're going to order a Busman, do it quickly. His prices go up in 2003! Yerush, drop a note to BREWERPAUL and he'll send you on information quickly. You can use Private Messages here on the board, or find his email through the membership list.
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

Thanks for all the kind words folks! Making these whistles has been a ton of fun, but meeting so many terrific people in the process has been an unforseen bonus.
I just put up a somewhat better website with updated prices, pictures of some of the woods, etc. See my signature below.
Personally, I don't think that the choice of wood makes a huge difference in the sound. On an instrument with a large vibrating surface such as a guitar it undoubtedly has a big effect, but a wooden tube the size of a D whistle doesn't really vibrate all that much. The vibration you feel in your fingertips is the air column inside the whistle. I would recommend that people buy a wooden whistle ( mine, Glenn's, Rose's, etc) based on appearances. When you look at your new, admittedly expensive, instrument,you should say "Man/woman, that's BEAUTIFUL!". If they don't sound good, I won't send them out the door, and I know that the other reputable makers won't either.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

PS to my previous post:
With a name like Yerushalayim, you might be interested in an olivewood whistle :smile:
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Paul, can you tell us what woods the five whistles on the main page are made of?

Thanks,
Jens
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

well, i'm a only a step or two above a novice, but i have played several whistles. I can only add that Paul's whistles are really, really good. I have a tulipwood whistle that is as good as I've ever heard, or seen. It is worth every penny. In addition, Paul has been a delight to work with and his service is outstanding.

it's a rather long story, but my supervisor's supervisor heard me practicing once during a break at work once. I had about 6 different whistles with me at the time, and once he heard Paul's whistles he "demanded" I play it for the next supervisors meeting. He is quite a vocalist himself and has a great ear for music. He was specific, he wanted me to play only Paul's whistle. He could tell a difference between Paul's and the other great whistles I had with me. Again, it is really good.
goesto11

Post by goesto11 »

Paul,

Any plans to add a "Sounds" section to your website? Also, I know that you can make a whistle have somewhat different sound characteristics. Any chance you could add that kind of thing to the website? (I know, I know, you'd rather be making whistles than doing web development :wink:)

John Mac
Mr.Nate

Post by Mr.Nate »

Back when Paul first opened up for business, I read some good comments about his whistles and heard a soundclip that Erik posted. It was enough to peak my curiosity and order one. I really like mine...the Rose just stays in the whistle drawer! I also have a weasal and I agree with everything that has been said so far! I have also had the same positive feedback from people who have heard me play the Busman. In my opinion, it is the most non-offensive whistle that I own, even in the second octave. I don't know if it is loud enough to stand out in a session, but it is great for practicing, solo, or playing with a few other musicians. The Busman also has a Delrin fipple, which really cuts down on clogging. Thanks Paul!